• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Last Night Reviews

Anthony L

March 18, 2014
A charming film about a group of people dealing with an impending apocalypse. No special effects, no tidal waves or earth quakes, just people and how they choose to live their last few hours on earth. It's a nice idea, well written and nicely performed. It's good. Good is good but it deserves better. While I like the concept and a few of the ideas it raised, I don't think Don McKellar made the most of the situation. This was never intended as a big piece, it's better that it's not but there were so many missed opportunities, pointless sub-plots and things that just didn't warrant inclusion in the final cut. It's not without its special scenes, the final one certainly wasn't a disappointment and the points made about fear, routine, regret and loss of identity were very well handled but I'm afraid it still comes across as a low fat Jarmusch. I feel bad for saying that because I did like it, I just really wanted it to be better than it was.
KJ P

October 20, 2012
With great casting choices, and a premise that is shown in a way that no other film has shown before, "Last Night" shows why Canadian films have so much more heart than Hollywood pictures in this day and age. In this film, we follow numerous families as they are preparing for the end of the world, and even though it is kind of perfectly set up and there is no real anarchy going on in the streets, you can relate to every character and the end just may have you in tears. It is a very low-budget film with an engaging script. The cinematography was very simple, but extremely effective, and what really made the film a great one to watch, was the average atmosphere that is not too over-the-top as rich people are just killed off first. This is a very subtle film. It may not have the right feel in some portions of the film, and you can definitely tell when something has been staged, but I really really enjoyed this film! Definitely recommended!
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

July 13, 2012
"It's your last night on earth. Go out in style."

A group of very different individuals with different ideas of how to face the end come together as the world is expected to end in six hours at the turn of the century.

REVIEW
"Last Night" is a fascinating little film by writer/director Don McKellar. Dry-witted illusions and startling visuals open the film. It soon becomes clear that the world and it's inhabitants have only six hours remaining. The film follows how several residents of the Toronto area fill those final hours. It's never clearly stated exactly what has caused the world's condition, nor is that an important part of the story here. The main focus of the film are the characters, such as Patrick Wheeler (played by McKellar) who is a terribly lonely guy who struggles to even see his family for one last time. He wishes to end it all alone, which seems to be how he lived. Then there's his friend Craig, who is using a variety of untried sexual practices as a means to connect with someone. Isolation and loneliness are the central themes to the film. It's a recognizable representation of what the filmmaker feels would be most noticeable trait about people if all of our lives were suddenly stopped. Surprisingly, the film never becomes depressing, even as it touches on so many serious topics, including assisted suicide, but instead becomes an expression of "what if" and therefore is exceptionally thought-provoking. In fact it's a rather uplifting tale.
Lewis C

February 13, 2011
At first I was totally underwhelmed, but this turned out to be a pretty good movie. It's basically about how a few different people choose to spend their last six hours on earth, which is about to come to an end due to some unnamed catastrophe. Interesting premise, interesting movie.
Ken S

May 5, 2007
One of the best Canadian films ever made.
rubystevens
rubystevens

October 6, 2008
am i the only one who thought this was black comedy? ok people, u have to admit alot of it was very funny. and i'm not a freak. i wondered why it was broad daylight til well after 9 pm until one of the characters made an allusion to it also; did the earth fall into the sun? i like that they never say. it's a very specific apocalypse that occurs at 12 midnight. a terrific concept and rather well executed by a bunch of canadians
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 22, 2009
Last Night takes an absurd concept and turns it into something personal and endearing. An intelligent and somewhat subtle apocalypse.
gor41
gor41

October 21, 2007
Low key but thought provoking movie with a fascinating central concept supported by able actors.
puffchunk
puffchunk

November 22, 2007
I think this accurately depicts what a lot of people would do in the last few hours on earth. Well done, I especially liked the last few seconds.
Lanning :

May 1, 2007
So what would you do if you knew the world were coming to an end? It's that kind of question younger friends might ask when they've had few. You know what I mean, right? Hey, Craig, this is set in Toronto. What would you do if you knew you were in the final hours of your life? Me? I have no clue. But I can almost guarantee you that I would probably be doing not one of the things the folks in this movie choose to do. That, however, is not one of my problems with Last Night. Now when I say I have problems with Last Night, I want to preface my grievances with this: I have seen this movie probably half-a-dozen times -- or more. In order for me to give up that many hours of my life to one movie, the movie needs to be pretty powerfully affecting. Last Night is that and then some. The final montage of the "end" for the people we've been following is very moving. No, my problems with Last Night lie elsewhere. I'll spare you a blow-by-blow, but I'll give you two pet peeves. First -- and this is about as petty as a pet peeve can get -- I am tremendously irritated by the fact that the world ends exactly at midnight. That's right, flixster friends, the world ends at 12:00 a.m. on the proverbial dot. And I think we all know that this is exactly how nature works . . . Okay, so that's a minor irritation. My major irritation is -- and I hate to be down on a fellow Korean -- Sandra Oh. I'm not universally down on Sandra Oh, but I am very specifically down on her here. Everyone is delivering lines in a truly believable way -- everyone except Sandra Oh. Is it her? The director? I don't think it can be the director. The directing, to me, is brilliant. If the directing truly sucked, everyone in Last Night would be acting as oddly as Oh. She's caught up in her own mind, I believe, with the "seriousness" of the end of the world, and for some peculiar reason, she feels she has to deliver all of her lines accordingly. It's not that she's over the top. It's more like she's stilted in her seriousness-ness. Sorry, Sister Oh, but that's the way I see it. Overall, however, -- and I really mean it -- this movie is well worth the watch.
Curt C

July 12, 2006
It's 6PM, and the world is about to end at midnight. How will you spend your last night? The final 30 seconds of this film made me want to give it 5 stars; I was that moved. Having a few days to sit on it, it's a very powerful piece of work, incredibly original, but comes just shy of being completely brilliant. As I can't narrow down exactly what is keeping this movie from earning the last star, sadly, I can only attribute it to personal preference and annoyance at the family scene.
Lauren D

February 3, 2007
I LOVE this kind of thing; apocalypse, post-apocalypse, impending apocalypse... Some of the casting was a bit iffy, but the plot was fantastic. It explored just enough without going over the top and I loved that there was no explanation.
alanjayh
alanjayh

June 2, 2008
soooo good...simple premise, no special effects as the last few hours of earth tick down....the movie really heats up as it explores human motivations, behaviors and personal interactions right up till the final countdown....this will leave a lasting impression on you!
FanGirl
FanGirl

March 26, 2007
A brilliant quiet film.
Sean S

January 5, 2007
What would you do if this was undeniably the last night on Earth for the Human race? An interesting question and a good movie.
shannylee38
shannylee38

December 20, 2006
Think this film as your last day on Earth! Imagine what you can do!
jsdelia
May 6, 2013
One of the best end of days movies ever. Lent my original Canadian DVD to a friend and it got lost in the mail upon return. A real tragedy considering how hard this movie is to find.
February 7, 2009
I didn't get anything out of this movie except being discouraged how people in general will behave when the end of the world is coming.
February 24, 2008
Movie about the end of the world that starts out kind of uneven but turns into something really special. The end had me choked up.
JasmineDarkly
March 21, 2007
Really good and overlooked. The end of the world film from a personal human standpoint, rather than a special effects orgy.