Loser - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Loser Reviews

August 8, 2014
Amy Heckerling doesn't quite know what kind of audience she is trying to engage. If she's trying to show high school kids the problems and unexpected strife of college life in a metropolis, then she should have shown that world in a more focused way. If she's trying to be funny and quirky for the older subset than her characters should have been better written and less dickish. Besides being clinically underwritten, it's difficult to figure out who is the lead character, or at least the person we're supposed to sympathize with. Throughout the film we follow Paul (Biggs) and it seems that he is our protagonist. We feel for him when his dorm mates are mean spirited, when the girl of his dreams is misguided, and when everything tries to keep him from getting through school, but he lacks character development. He goes through hard times, but there's no resolution to be seen, and he doesn't change at all. Dora (Suvari) on the other hand has a mess of bad things happen to her, and then she changes her opinion about her relationship with her professor (Kinnear), which means she's the only character who evolves throughout the film. It seems that we should be following her, but then interwoven in her tale is that of Paul's, who just seems like some poor schmuck who never wins. Without any proper direction for our characters, and no change in their behaviors or thoughts on the world, there shouldn't really be any reason for this film to exist. It's trying to show the problems of college students, but it doesn't realistically depict them. Paul's three roommates are also pretty distracting, as they're rich, sycophantic rapists, who don't seem to get much comeuppance until the credits. Besides its plot defects it's also drab and very of its time, making this film a tiring slog.
CloudStrife84
June 8, 2007
My reviews are seldom this short and concise, but this movie was so predictable and unoriginal, that there's really not much that I can say or write about it. Unless, of course, I choose to go into the details of what made it so mediocre. But I'm not gonna do that this time, as it wouldn't really serve any purpose. It still gets a "3" from me for its entertainment value, but that's about as far as my generosity goes.
March 11, 2010
It's an incredibly dumb and cheesy movie, it kind of reminds me of Revenge of the Nerds. Only there's only one nerd and he's not really all that smart. There is almost nothing to really like about this movie, but nothing to make you angry either. It just reaffirms you that there are a lot of people who manipulate others, but everyone already knows that.
March 3, 2009
the love story is average i guess but i really watch it for the dumb roomates, they just make this movie. it doesnt matter how pissed i am, i always lose it when Noah says " hey you ever heard of... autism??"
January 27, 2009
Paul is a freshman in university in NYC. He needs to maintain high marks to continue his scholarship, so is branded a "Loser" by his room mates. He is forced to live in an animal hospital where he meets Dora. Dora is in love with a professor who treats her like dirt. Of course, in the end, Paul and Dora discover each other and everybody lives happily ever after!

Sure, it is a formula movie - similar to The Apartment, but cuteness and happy endings raise it to 3*'s
TheGame90
March 20, 2008
The title says it all....It's just a bad movie, but I don't blame them
½ October 5, 2007
This is a good teen flick without all the gross comedy and crudeness. Jason Biggs does a great job as the good guy surrounded by jerks.
½ November 7, 2006
Freakin' hilarious.
Nate Z.
½ February 23, 2006
[font=Arial][color=darkred]Jason Biggs came to fame by getting sexual healing from pastry and Mena Suvari for coming up roses besides Kevin Spacey. So now the two 'American Pie' graduates embark on college in 'Loser', the latest offering by classic teen comedy director Amy Heckerling.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]'Loser' tells the tale of a self-describe outcast Paul (Biggs) who ventures out of a rural town to the big bad city of New York for college education. Before he leaves he confides to his family his fear that everyone will be "like on Seinfeld". Upon Paul's arrival he's deemed a laughable dolt by his frat-boy roomies and even forced to live in an animal shelter. Paul has a difficult time adjusting to the new world until he meets a kindred spirit in the intriguing Dora (Suvari) one day in class. Dora herself is a struggling student not fitting in. She even has a secret tryst with her Professor played by Greg Kinnear.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]All of the characters in 'Loser' other then its leads are one-dimensional cartoons. Paul's dorm mates start off as mean-spirited brats but then unsettlingly become attempted date rapists with plans involving roofies. Am I the only one bothered that their actions are never dealt with but glossed over? Dora's relationship with Kinnear only cheapens the intelligence of her character. From the beginning he is a smarmy jerk (as are most in 'Loser') whose most romantic line consists of "Would you please sit there and just not talk." What woman wouldn't fall for someone like that?[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]'Loser' is no outright shaggy dog though. It does have its funny moments and starts off well enough. Paul and Dora are sweet characters that keep our interest and rooting. Kinnear plays well as a snide jerk. But somewhere in the middle 'Loser' shifts into what it could have been into what it reluctantly is.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Biggs and Suvari are the only nice people on the 'Loser' planet, and it makes little sense that in a world of hipsters that these two would put up with all of their dumping and not see one another. It's obvious that they should be together except to them, so it's just a matter of time before they hug and kiss. The movie is basically a waiting game to see when Suvari is going to wise up.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Heckerling has been a strong force for many an influential teen comedy ('Fast times at Ridgemont High', 'Clueless') but her latest effort seems like she lost interest somewhere within. 'Loser' had the possibility of being the 'Clueless' for the not-so-in-crowd but instead mimics the title far more than intended.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial][color=darkred]Nate's Grade: C [/color][/font]
March 27, 2007
This movie wasn't the best, but it helps to realize that people are different in many types of relationships. Jason Biggs and Mena Suvari have good on-screen chemistry.
August 6, 2007
Cool.
½
A cute rom-com thanks to the delightful Suvari who saves it all. Its hard for Biggs to shake the Pie gags, but thanks to Suvari he does okay.
November 1, 2007
A movie about two stupidly naive people who fall in love - something that is obvious as fuck from the first ten minutes.
KeepGuessing
½ June 12, 2008
A surprisingly great film. Yes, the whole movie was made in a rather sappy manner. But, if you really took the effort to absorb the story, you''l discover that it's pretty solid. Aside from that, this movie progressed well from start to finish and had a good, witty, funny, and well balanced script. Also, though you won't get Oscar-worthy performances from the cast in this movie, they still gave appropriate-level performances and worked very well with each other on screen that rounded-off this flick very nicely. On a personal note, Mena Suvari was so unbelievably adorable in this movie. Despite how long she's been gone from the movie scene, I do hope she still returns to make another movie some day.
April 4, 2008
A statement both about the shallow cultural values our society gravitates towards and the shallow cultural statement that is college movies. The pot smoking, girl chasing good-time practical joking room-mates of the male protagonist who are the heroes of most college movies are rohypnol rapist douche bags.
For the girl heroine, she has hooked up with the wise older professor who is trying to show her a bigger world. One problem his bigger world is shallow,his intellectualism self-indulgent and he can't stop chasing every skirt that crosses his path.
Very clever and would rate a pretty good rating if it wasn't so poorly paced and ultimately predictable.
roseypie
½ May 10, 2007
the movie was funny but i think jason biggs and mena suvari had a better team up in the first american pie movie. i love the theme song though.
iLeo
April 12, 2007
Loved this movie!
March 16, 2006
The title says it all.
March 27, 2016
3/21/2016: Not a horrible movie, but not a good movie either. It was an ok story, but it wasn't funny at all.
November 13, 2014