Someone Like You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Someone Like You Reviews

½ December 24, 2012
The soft science about men's natural proclivity to hit-it-then-quit-it isn't terribly scintillating nor monumental. There's not much to this movie, but that kinda makes it somewhat enjoyable. Just some day-to-day dialogue and a couple cute/sad/sweet moments (Jane's cheerleading, Eddie running into Becca at yoga, Eddie looking out for Jane on New Year's).

I can't remember the last time I saw a character in a contemporary movie who wasn't a mob boss or a femme fatale light up a cigarette. There is seriously so much smoking! And the mention of WTC really dates the movie.
October 27, 2008
The story about the one that got away and the one she never saw coming.

Fun good movie about adult relationships that easy come by and easy go. You could learn a few things about this movie and apply them to your life, the most logic things in life are probably the one's you should take advantage of. It was very nice story and great actors were involved. Loved the ending, how could you not?

After a series of ill-fated relationships, Jane has finally met Mr. Right, Ray - he's emotionally available and not afraid of commitment. Six weeks into their blissful courtship, he asks her to move in with him, and they start looking at apartments. But then Ray starts to pull away, until Jane realizes that she's been dumped. Jane's womanizing coworker, Eddie, is looking for a roommate, and Jane moves in. Desperate to understand what happened and get over Ray, Jane comes up with a theory of interpreting male-female relations by observing the behaviors of animals. She shares this idea with a friend who works at a men's magazine and is given an anonymous editorial column devoted solely to her thoughts on the matter. But no one could have predicted the chord she'd strike among women with her theory, and the column's wild success makes Jane start to question her conclusions - and opens her eyes to what might be right in front of her.
March 26, 2008
This romantic "cheesy" comedy stars Ashley Judd as Jane Goodale, a talent booker for TV talk show host Diane Roberts (Ellen Barkin). Jane is a woman who is in and out of relationships and not very happy about it,this wacky story makes you not take anything too seriously.
½ January 15, 2011
I think it's a fun movie. Sure, it's a throwaway romantic comedy aside from the megaton star Hugh Jackman. He is showcased in this movie as a complete ladies man who likes leftover chinese food occasionally. Ashley Judd is always pretty dependable as an actress and this is no different, she's extremely good for her part. It also has Greg Kinnear as another slimeball, his trademark.
A Truly Twyzted Kytten
October 4, 2009
This movie strikes a chord in the heart of every woman, but not romantically. I remember my first annoying playboy co-worker and he was a great deal like Eddie. I watched this movie with a wry smile on my face, thinking about how wonderful it would be to have him back in the office making me gasp with his overt sexuality-yet making me smile. Cause he was a good guy.
Okay enough reminiscing. Hugh and Ashley have very bad chemistry in this film-and not for lack of trying. There's just something about seeing them together that makes me think 'just friends' and well they should have remained. It was too sudden the introduction of Eddie's past flame (remember, Yoga isn't always a good way to spend your money) and his reaction was so real, that Ashley's character's insensitivity was really painful to watch. The line where he looks at her and say "why are you doing this to yourself?" was the highlight of the film. A great question to start what should have been a fantastic eye-opening dialogue. But it didn't, once again, he was forced to step off and pretend to have a good time alone while he knew she was killing herself at home. It made no sense. There were so many opportunities in this film to build a real sense of chemistry and comeraderie and yet, it always fell short. I was entertained, Hugh and Ashley-but not pleased. Try again harder, I know you can do it.
½ September 2, 2009
I only caught the last of this movie, so this may not be fair review. It was a fun one to watch, and the acting was great. The story left something to be desired towards the end, but was redeemed slightly by watching the alternate ending, which answered a lot of questions we had after watching the movie.
January 22, 2009
immensely forgettable charisma effort wherein all trains of thoughts go towards the lead fem baggin' the "man o' her dreams", pure and unaldulterated cosmo b.s...everyone's cute, everyone's witty, everyone's...forgettable. can you say "chick flick". you betcha.
½ June 24, 2008
I seem to recall liking this movie when I first saw it, but I watched it again and it seems so disjointed. The title card gags get jettisoned halfway through the movie, and the little surreal intercuts get lost as well. All these characters seem very immature (despite constant reassertion to the contrary) and the dialogue seems overly scripted. So much so that you're really taken out of the movie. Too much time is spent on making this movie momentarily entertaining that it suffers as a whole. There were good ideas here, but they were not put to very good use.
½ November 2, 2007
Chick flick.
August 26, 2007
An okay movie if your looking for strictly romance. If you can get apast the fact that the comedy really is not that funny, and that Ashley Judd plays an extremly annoying/not well, role, then it's worth watching a time or two.
½ August 14, 2007
I love this movie. Hugh Jackman and Ashley Judd are so good in this.
August 9, 2007
Very cute film. I watch it every time it comes on.
August 6, 2007
Better than the average rom-com, but not spectacular.
June 27, 2015
Judd and Kinnear are good enough for this but Jackman is the main reason to watch this so-so rom com.
April 25, 2008
Not terribly original but Judd and Jackman have amazing chemistry and this movie is just plain charming.
August 30, 2008
This actually quite insulting to any thinking mind, male or female.
½ February 3, 2007
Loved it.
October 22, 2011
It was an alright movie but nothing spectacular. I never really got into this one and normally I love Ashley Judd. Oh well take a chance if you have time maybe you will like it better then I did.
October 22, 2007
A cheesy, cliche'd romance of "finding love in the least expected place". The movie is far from realistic but is an excellent choice when one just wants a simple rom-com. And there's few girls who would turn down a Hugh Jackman movie.
½ May 17, 2010
Not the best movie, but a solid cast, takes place in NYC, and explores relationships between men and women. Ashley Judd is beautiful in this movie- it's worth watching just to see how pretty she is. A good movie for when there is nothing but football, baseball or infomercials on TV and you want to relax a little bit.