Rain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rain Reviews

July 17, 2007
This is a very tough movie. Tough characters, tough subject matter, tough to watch. I mean this in a good way. These people are very real with real problems and real attitudes. There is a raw nakedness about the film that makes it somehow tangible and sometimes uncomfortable. The scenes are not painted nor rendered rather they are captured as they are?and they are not very pretty (save for some of the landscape). The cast are not a group of models (though the youngest boy is about as cute and wonderful an actor as they come). This movie will hit you as ?real.? The viewer is presented with a family; Husband, Wife, Daughter, Son. The Daughter appears to be the focal character, but as pivotal as she is each character is given ample time and thought. The problems that they deal with are very real. I don?t think this will be a spoiler to anyone, but in case you think it might be skip to the next paragraph. Be prepared to deal with a family on the brink of destruction, infidelity, addiction, purposelessness, coming unto teenage sexuality, and all of this combined to amount to tragedy. This film is a tragic drama that may leave you squirming a bit. I recommend this film to those who are comfortable looking at some of the more difficult things in life or who have experienced some of the same and wish to see an accurate portrayal?a film that empathizes with the pain that real life can bring.
½ June 20, 2008
Some of the visual flourishes are a little too obvious, but restrained and subtle storytelling, and fine performances make this delicate coming-of-age tale a treat.
½ June 6, 2007
Okay. First of all... this movie listing is full of errors. It's combining two different movies. The first of which, Rain (2001) I have not seen... and the second, Rain (2006)is where the cast list and one of the directors is from. The second one is horrible. It sets up too many story lines and moments, then doesn't deliver on any of them. at all.
May 28, 2007
an unbelievably sad film with a heartbreakingly bittersweet atmosphere. Rain sits much in the same vein as Thirteen, though less the sense of cautionary tale and much more of a coming-of-age story. it's a downer, but one that leaves a palpable sense of beauty and substance
April 9, 2012
Rain is a hard movie to rate. I give it 4 stars because it is definitely above average in acting and the subtle details that make the situation real. What occurs in the last 15 minutes or so is predictable, but I still cried a flood. I identified pretty strongly with Janey. We had similar circumstances. She's like the more irresponsible version of myself at that age. The flip side of my coin, if you will. The alternate route. The road not taken. (okay I'm done.. ;p)
March 31, 2012
Very Deep, But the movie cover they have here is wrong
January 24, 2012
reading the books that this movie is based off of right now so i cant wait till im done to watch the movie
May 26, 2010
Own it now, it's very good and Marton Csokas as the incredibly sexy drifter "Cady" is brilliant.
January 11, 2010
would watch for the scenery but the story line sounds pretty lame
½ December 4, 2009
Hidden somewhere in the corner of the world is this film. Beautifully done with great actors and cinematography. The storyline was so realistic, bare, and believable. The movie dive into the coming of age aspect without hesitation which is rarely done. It also show how relations to one another, not matter the age, are often more complex then we like to realize. Although it was melancholy and sad at moments it portrayed a authentic take on some people family structure, sexuality, sense of emotions, the understanding compromise, and sacrifice. A great soundtrack was also nicely weaved into the film. While this movie is not for everyone it does show another side, however true, of self-exploration of pubescence.
½ September 1, 2009
Excellent movie, tough subject matter, not sure I would say I LIKED it but it was damn good
August 30, 2009
A raw and powerful portrait of a family in crisis, with an astonishingly mature performance from the young lead. It's let down a little by a hackneyed sex-equals-death ending that was telegraphed from miles away.
½ June 20, 2008
½ May 6, 2009
For some reason, all of the user reviews associated with the 2001 film 'Rain' are actually refering to another film, and the featured cover art is the cover art for this film.
Rain is a beautiful, sensual and ultimately unfathomably tragic coming of age tale which simultaneously charts the sexual awakening of 13 year old Janey and the disintegration of her parents marriage. Director Christine Jeffs, on what I would imagine was a fairly limited budget, has crafted an emotionally true, cinematically rich and naturalistically performed tale which work on all levels, and will stay with you long afetr the end credits roll. It is also a film which, for Australian and New Zealand viewers in particular, but I would imagine more generally too, uses a beautifully crafted sense of nostalgia to make the sights, sounds and family dynamic of the family vacation so true that it can unlock sensations and emotions linked to personal childhood memories. A little gem.
December 28, 2008
Like a punch to the gut.
November 22, 2008
1) The movie cover photo associated with this synopsis is WRONG.

2) The Movie "Rain" with Brooklyn Sudano and Faye Dunaway is a great movie. A bit steryotyped but certainly makes one think of other aspects of life. I really enjoyed this movie.
October 13, 2008
Hmm, Flixster has combined the wrong movie poster with this movie.
October 5, 2008
Loved the movie in the synopsis. Made me want to return to the inner-city. Had a great movie line. The acting wasn't the greatest, but loved it all the same.
September 21, 2008
This is incorrect. The movie "Rain" that is explained in the synopsis was released in 2006. It stars Brooklyn Sudano, Faye Dunaway, Khandi Alexander, and others. The photo is of another movie by the same name which was released in 2001.
½ August 13, 2008