Perfume - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Perfume Reviews

March 9, 2009
You look at this all star cast - Rita Wilson, Jeff Goldblum, Peter Gallagher, Paul Sorvino, Michelle Williams, Leslie Mann, Omar Epps, Mariel Hemingway, Mariska Hargitay, Estella Warren, and others - You immediately think stellar, right? Don't, you would be sadly mistaken. Sometimes bright stars don't equal blockbusters but bright shining pieces of film crap. Perfume would be one of those.
Sad and horribly frustrating about this film, was it could have been great.
Most of it I have found out was unscripted, which could have been brilliant. Unfortunately, the sound mixing was dreadful. The music was too loud and drowned out most of the dialogue half the time. The other half of the time, six people were talking at once and you couldn't understand what one of them was saying, let alone all six.
This movie split off in too many directions. I am all for multiple characters and story lines. But, You have to develop the characters and make them rich, and the stories actually have to be going some where. In this film, you have 20 undeveloped characters, wandering about aimlessly.
The ending is nothing short of a cop out if you ask me. It's like they were all scratching their heads saying " Well boys we have pissed away an hour and 44 minutes of these people's lives on this useless, aimless crap. We have no time to really give any of these stories an ending, so lets just call it quits." Absolutely the worst ending to a movie that I have ever seen. Seriously. A note to Hunter Carson and Michael Rymer - The next time you get high and think about directing a movie, just say no.
Perfume was an absolute waste of time. It gets one star because of the all star cast, and once in awhile you could see some of them trying to polish this turd.
December 24, 2009
Never saw the movie - but Estella is a total babe!!!!
November 9, 2009
** (out of four)

Interesting idea, but turns out to be more of a bore than an coherent story.

A huge cast gather together for a movie that doesn't have a script. Instead all the actors ad libbed the entire film. The plot centers around the fashion industry in New York. Unfortunately, the actors can't make it interesting enough.