Trouble in Paradise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trouble in Paradise Reviews

½ September 3, 2010
I loved this movie, it was hilarious.
January 6, 2012
Okay, okay, I was wrong. Frank Capra's It Happened One Night apparently was NOT the first romcom ever ... it appears as if this one, a glittering gem cut in the early 30's by nigh forgotten German wunderkind Ernst Lubitsch, has the honor of begetting a veritable host, a steaming, teeming slew of imitators that extend to even this very week in cinema houses everywhere (beat THAT for florid prose!) But why? Sophistication, wit, and sex wrapped in ... sophistication, wit and sex!
½ November 6, 2011
A lovely, simple and clever movie. It was clever because the outcome is never what you expect. Gaston (Herbert Marchall) is a master in diverging a subject and manipulating a conversation. A movie that holds your interest from beginning to end. Although I'm not a fan of this theatrical way of acting, here I didn't mind it at all.
½ August 24, 2009
A delightful -- not a word I normally use but it fits here -- comedy about two con artists, male and female, who fall in love, decide to bilk a rich woman out of her millions, and then the male crook complicates matters by falling in love with his prey. The script, the situations and the acting are all first-rate.

Miriam Hopkins and Kay Francis were both good, but it's Herbert Marshall who I really liked. I've always found him to be rather one-dimensional -- the urbane but weak leading man to strong actresses such as Bette Davis. To see that same character hiding a true snake in the grass was so much fun. Edward Everett Horton and Charlie Ruggles were entertaining as well, as the side story of the two men vieing for Kay Francis' hand.

I've read that Ernst Lubitch was the father of screwball comedies. Without him films such as Bringing up Baby and My Man Godfrey may not have existed. I've seen several of Ernst Lubitch's films -- Ninotcka, Shop Around the Corner, etc. -- and have enjoyed every one. He might just become one of my favorite directors.
July 3, 2007
Lubtisch does it again! A witty sophisticated con man/woman romance.

"...(If) you made any attempt to handle your own business affairs, I would give you a good spanking - in a business way, of course."
March 23, 2008
Breezy if dated comedy of manners.
½ November 26, 2007
marvelous, witty and sophisticated tale of two charming con artists. a forgotten classic from the sadly neglected ernst lubitsch, the first of the great european directors to come to hollywood and change everything. fabulous wardrobe too! see it to experience the 'lubitsch touch.' they don't make 'em like this anymore...
December 3, 2012
Beautiful interplay with great humour and an enjoyable plot line. Displays a layer of sophistication that is often missing from films of the period.
February 23, 2013
Just a couple sentences, sorry Lubitsch

A fine comedy with good dialogue, and really brought you back to the thirties. But I didn't find the story to grand.
August 15, 2009
Fun and charming Lubitsch film about two grifters that try to steal from a young widow. You can definitely see the Lubitsch touch in this film. His films have a different feel than most comedies of the 30's. It's not just theme and style,but mainly how the actors carry themselves and interact with each other. I was really surprised how good Herbert Marshall was in this, and shocked he never had a bigger career. Miriam Hopkins is great as Marshall's cohort, and their relationship is original with great chemistry. Kay Francis really shines as a aloof and charming young widow. What makes this film different is that Marshall falls for both women and you want to see him with both. Lubitsch doesn't vilify any of the characters, but shows their short comings with great detail. Good film that is driven more by a great story and acting than comedy.
August 20, 2008
What?s interesting about this movie is that it could have never been made at any other time than it was. As a pre-code film it was able to use a lot of sexual innuendos that could have never been used a few years later, and it wouldn?t have worked today as most of its humor is rooted in the way it gets around the standards of 1930s decency. Of course censoring this movie would be silly, all the innuendos would have gone straight over the heads of any children watching, and that?s a big part of why this is so innovative, it?s a Hollywood movie from the early 30s with distinctly adult sensibilities. This is one of the first screwball comedies, even pre-dating It Happened One Night, and its status as a pre-code film means it could go a lot further than the movies it inspired. I can?t say I personally found the movie all that funny, but I can appreciate the way this was comically put together, looked at in the context of its time, this is a real achievement.
½ July 15, 2008
This film was a lot of fun and engaging to watch.
November 3, 2007
Gimme gimme more. It's as funny as a Marx Bros. movie, as well-written as a Hawks comedy, and not-quite-Wellesian in it's visual ambition. No wonder my favorite directors list Lubitsch as an influence.
½ January 10, 2009
A wonderful "blast from the past" - a roller coaster ride of a film that grabs you from the beginning and holds you to the end. A film of thieves, secret identities, purloined purses and stolen hearts as Herbert Marshall and Miriam Hopkins, who fall in love while robbing each other, create a scam to rob Perfume Heiress Kay Francis. What starts as a love triangle borders on being a love pentagram as rejected suitors and robbed victims come and go at the most inopportune times. The plot, camera work and the sharp witty dialogue keep the film at a pace that almost makes you feel like you're running through a maze at 100 mph. Made me wish Lubitsch had made Casablanca...
August 13, 2008
Cute film. One of those movies that reminds one how important shared hobbies are to genuine love. lol :-)
½ August 25, 2007
Charming black and white pre -Hayes code romantic comedy about two thieves and their targeted victim, who is rich and beautiful enough to survive. Amusing gay vibe between the wealthy widow's two legitimate suitors.
June 26, 2015
Thanks to fantastic acting, sweet humor, terrific characters and sexy approach with evident chemistry between the actors, Trouble in Paradise also manages to overcome its not that great script, too short running time and a lack of more comedic scenes with suave direction from Ernst Lubitsch, amazing performances, engaging story, endearing finale and playful tone. It is never as polished or as hilarious as other classic screwball comedies are and the vastly underrated 'Ninotchka' is a much better work from the director, but this is still a fun, slick and smart picture with a lot of charm on display.
April 5, 2015
A romantic comedy about love interfere with business.
January 20, 2015
A unique piece of comedy beautifully crafted by Lubitsch in terms of his own rare and twisted style that proves to be undeniable delightful. For me, this movie defines the "Lubitsch touch".
February 16, 2014
No one does comedy like Lubitsch. "Trouble in Paradise" is as heightened and hilarious and as sad and human as any comedy ever made, all at once, a perfect, intimate human story played out on the canvas of farce, sweet and sexy and very funny and just enough to break your heart. It's perfect.