• R, 1 hr. 39 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Ash Wednesday Reviews

ken j

June 19, 2010
Edward Burns and Elijah Wood star as brothers growing up as part of irish gangs in hells kitchen after one of them kills a group of men who were gonna kill his brother he vanishes from his neighborhood figured for dead he turns up years later and no one has forgotten what he has done so now its a race for the two bothers to keep each other safe and too get out of town before they both end up dead. that sums of this plot of really well done drama that should be seen by anyone that enjoys a good crime drama type film
Chosen 7

June 7, 2009
Good film, sad yet realistic ending.
July 29, 2007
I dunno, it was a decent thriller. Kind've slow though. Very moody. All the language got old real fast, and the way it glorified the catholic church... plus the way they played the one strand of music throughout the whole movie. Elijah Wood looked way too young for his role. It all adds up to a movie that's not worth seeing unless you have nothing better to do.
trish1972
December 4, 2006
Was a very flat movie. Flat acting, though Wood and Dawson tried. You can only try so much with a bland script like that.
I did like the look of the film. Almost like a dreary painting at times.
But, that was about it. Burns did not do a good job directing this.
yram212001
yram212001

June 8, 2006
I remember really liking this movie-need to rewatch it to find exactly what it was. looking forward to it's next 'Good Friday'
November 10, 2012
Extremely slow pacing with a dull story.The score is overbearing and Oliver Platt as a gangster is laughable. Elijah Wood's underacting on top of all of this makes Ash Wednesday a mediocre film at best. Skip it.
Andrew P.
March 1, 2011
I just liked the "street realism" - it felt as if it probably happens like that now and then. Plus I felt the acting was right on by the cast. Having grown up in a city going through urban decay it seemed "un-hollywood" and with the "indie" look to it.
jazza923
April 9, 2006
The film fails pretty much on every level, but doesn't fail miserably in any area either. The miscasting of Elijah Wood is the biggest mistake. The film starts out pretty interesting, but it begins to really drag a third of the way in the film. Predictable as well.
Litzner
April 5, 2005
Just watched Ash Wednsday this afternoon...and I am indifferent about it. I think that Edward Burns could have done a better job directing, his acting (along with Wood) was decent.
There was just something missing in the movie, I dont know what it was. I'm sure everyone has seen a movie when the credits are rolling and you are sitting there thinking to yourself "that was decent, but something just doesnt seem right." and you cant put your finger on it. Burns and Wood portray brothers together well, they bounce off of each other really well especially while they are arguing. It just seemed so natural for them.
At any rate, it wasnt a good movie, wasnt a bad movie, it was just....there.
and im spent
~M
jackie chans adventures
January 18, 2004
Ewan continuously pulls off stellar performances. I wish I could say the same for Elijah in Ash Wednesday.
theappster
November 22, 2003
This movie was really weird and sad. It was very well made and a pretty good cast. I like the story but I thought the Enmding really sucked.