Carrie Reviews

½ October 12, 2010
I really don't know why they remade this at all. They didn't improve on the original at all. Patricia Clarkson is a less scary villain, the plot makes less sense, all the schoolgirls are flatter and Angela Bettis is horrible in this. I did like the way Sue voluntarily forfeited her prom ticket and how Tommy genuinely treated Carrie nicely, and Rena Sofer created a better and more believable Miss Desjardins. But the addition of the flashback storytelling and the extraneous headgames that Sue seems to be trying to play with the detective seemed out of place. This is a movie with no imagination.
ScoopOnline
December 9, 2009
The remake was really boring.
½ July 27, 2009
I think everyone knows the story of Carrie. The strange innocent misfit who's teased mercilessly and maliciously by a few of her school peers. and develops her telekinetic powers to protect herself after a particularly cruel and humiliating prank is pulled on her.

Well, I think I enjoyed this because it put a different spin on the original story. That is, the story is told after the fact in a series of interviews conducted by the police.

The movie has a good cast and the script is good. The special effects, while used to good effect, aren't particularly 'special', but the camera work, particularly in the ballroom scene when everyone is panicking, is deplorable. I've taken better home movies. Still, if you can ignore that....

Overall I really enjoyed this telemovie and would recommend it to anyone who wants a bit of a scare and to be entertained, and not

I'll probably be burned at the stake for this too, but I preferred Angela Bettis charactisation of Carrie to Sissy Spaceks in the original.
flixsterman
½ January 5, 2009
No more remakes!!!
½ May 15, 2007
The ending makes this movie worth it.
January 4, 2008
I don't know where to start with this one. First, the obvious question...why?? The original film is near perfect, a made for tv remake is just pointless. Up until the ending, I could live with this one as an update for a younger audience who may not bother with such an old film and it does have a decent cast. I don't know that Angela Bettis quite pulls off the role of Carrie, there was something a little off about it, I actually think she came closer to capturing Carrie's sweetness in the film May, in this one Carrie is a little creepy, not just downtrodden and confused like in the original, but anyhow... Katherine Isabelle and Emile De Ravin are both convincing bitches, and Patricia Clarkson is really good as the mother. The thing that lets this down is that STUPID ending. SPOILERS......Was it really necessary to have Carrie walking through town like the Terminator, burning down houses, throwing cars right into tress and ugh...that BAD CG. Don't even get me on how she kills her mother. So ridiculous. Watching this movie made me want to pull the original out and try to forget what I'd just seen.
May 14, 2007
OK, but pointless. The only reason to remake a film is to make a mediocre film better, whether by better performances or newer technology. The original film version of Stephen King's novel of the same name is arguably a horror classic. Remaking it is a waste of film stock, money and time. Angela Bettis wasn't a bad Carrie White, but she didn't seem as naive or tortured as Sissy Spacek did in the original. The early scene that sets the stage for the events to come -- naive Carrie's discovery that she's started her first menstrual period and being taunted by her classmated for it -- should have had Carrie in hysterics, and instead she just laid on the floor of the shower and stared. And every time she had a telekinetic moment, she appeared to just be carsick. Patricia Clarkson's "lamb of God" performance as Carrie's religious zealot mother Margaret doesn't hold a candle to Piper Laurie's maniacal "fire and brimstone" portrayal. The actress playing Sue Snell was arrogant and defiant when she should have been regretful and confused. All the other characters were just average. The story arc and script both followed the original pretty closely, up until the end. The final confrontation between Carrie and her mother was totally off the mark and anticlimatic. And while the original ending was a shocker for the ages, this one was just confusing. The film wasn't helped by piss-poor CGI and obvious back- projection work. To use a line from the film "Creepy Carrie!" Stick with the original.
puffchunk
October 1, 2007
Pretty gross. Especially the opening sceen. Nothing like period blood to turn a man off in a hurry.
March 13, 2007
Scary teen horror done right.
MissMorganLeee
½ February 12, 2007
i mean u can sorta tel its a low coast movie but i thought it was pretty good..pretty scarry
January 22, 2007
Bitch, you're no Sissy Spacek.
nuheart
½ December 26, 2006
Interesting, but ultimately pointless update of King's first novel. Not bad for a TV movie.
December 28, 2006
Don't pick on people.
October 18, 2013
This remake of the classic horror film Carrie is too loyal to the source material for its own good, and isn't able to deliver any chills or scares. The cast, which features Emilie de Ravin, Kandyse McClure, and Rena Sofer, isn't that bad, but the performances are bland and lifeless. The directing is also especially poor and makes all the sets and costumes look cheap. Additionally, the pacing is extremely slow and prevents the story from building any momentum or engaging the audience. While this Carrie may be closer to the original novel, it doesn't work cinematically.
December 2, 2011
Not as great as the real version.
March 13, 2008
the original is so much better and more scarier then this
nickymo89
August 8, 2007
Not a bad update and Angela Bettis is a talented young actress but I am partial to the original. Hated the new ending.
iLeo
March 26, 2007
The original is the best.
January 3, 2014
I liked this version, In some ways it was better than the original in that it tried harder to follow the book than the first movie did.
September 23, 2013
Not the best, but Angela Bettis made a really good Carrie. With the tweaks that were made in this remake, it has me a little more intrigued to see what they're doing in the remake coming out next month (Oct 2013).