—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Le Divorce Reviews

Wildaly M

May 30, 2007
It's just not that interesting.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 11, 2007
nothing special
Juli R

August 22, 2010
This film is supposed to be a comedy of manners. Comes up short.
ChGeor9
July 4, 2012
I have seen Kate Hudson in better movies; however; it is good movie to watch if out of cash and at home with a glass of tea.
lovemyself1984
November 9, 2007
A disappointment considering that the director and the likes of naomi watts,kate hudson,etc are well known actors
ohhownovel
August 12, 2007
I actually enjoyed this movie. Didn't agree with some of the things they did or chose to do but how they recovered from their bad choices made this story a movie.
July 5, 2007
This was a but on the slow side, but perfect for a rainy day chick movie when you a bit bummed by silly men in your life.
March 25, 2007
I thought this film would be good because Kate Hudson was in it, but I was way wrong it was a big waste of the money that it cost to film it.
adecker31
March 1, 2007
Like the New Yorker come to life, somehow more smug even, because there is not a consciousness of being smug.

It is assholish and tortuous to watch. I saw it at Embarcadero, and when I came out a lovely fog had settled over the north part of the City and was heading for Inner Sunset. I cursed the movie and then forgot it until just now.

Thankfully what I remember is the hushed Tuesday or Wednesday night, the fog and then eventually, the Mission Bus. I am sure I read, and tried to put this disaster out of my mind.

Go fuck yourself Le Divorce.
January 22, 2007
This movie sucked monkey balls. Nothing about this movie was good, it was bad the whole way through.
bananaz247
January 10, 2007
yea this one was really kinda weird! cheating is not cool no matter how much money the guy has!! but still for the quest of true love is all around in this movie
zeiko18
January 3, 2007
This movie is just plain bad. The dialogue sucks and I can't believe any man (married or not) would ever desire Kate Hudson in a sexual fashion.
dreamyeyez
December 4, 2006
I thought this was a good movie. I love the visual peices of Paris. Naomi Watts was great as the older sister clingling on to her non-existing marriage to her unfaithful husband. And Kate Hudson was great as her carefree younger sister. A great movie to watch when you have nothing to do on a rainy day.
October 10, 2006
i was surprised that i didn't like this movie as much as i though. i happen to like kate hudson and naomi watts, but this movie just didn't entertain me enough.
April 21, 2014
"Le divorce" est le terrible!
November 18, 2012
Not sure why this is labelled a romantic comedy, it's more like a funny tragedy that begins with divorce and ends with death.
Persephone
May 18, 2012
All over the place. Semi-amusing.
Marter
February 16, 2012
The first three words that come to mind when I think about Le Divorce are "awful," "atrocious," and "abhorrent." Not only is alliteration a ton of fun -- more fun than watching this film, actually -- but these words almost perfectly sum up what I thought of this film. The only other word that captures my feelings is "overlong," although if a film fits into the previous categories, being "overlong" is almost a given.

This is a film that has too much going on, except none of it is interesting. We're overloaded with information that we don't want to take in. I started drifting about 30 minutes in, after I realized that the plot wasn't going to resolve itself anytime soon, and at the two hour point, when the credits finally began to roll, I had to try to make sense of what I just watched. It's not that it's overly complex, but since I didn't care, I found it excruciatingly difficult to pay attention to everything that the film vomits our direction.

From what I could make out, there are two main plots, and then a ton of subplots. The first involves Roxy (Naomi Watts) being left by her husband (Melvil Poupaud). He loves some Russian girl who gets maybe 5 lines of dialogue throughout, but the reasoning doesn't matter. He's leaving his pregnant wife, and is bringing lawyers into the mix because he wants half of the things he's entitled to. The prized possession is a painting that everyone spends an awful long time trying to determine whether it was painted by some famous artist.

The second plot involves Roxy's sister, Isabel (Kate Hudson), who shows up in Paris just as Roxy's husband is leaving. She's there to take care of Roxy, she says at one point, but she spends such little time doing so that one could be mistaken for thinking she's there just to go shopping and walk around the city. She eventually becomes the mistress for Roxy's husband's uncle, Edgar (Thierry Lhermitte), or at least, I think that's what his relation was in regards to everyone else in the film. Otherwise, I'm unsure, because he just kind of shows up at one point, and then Isabel has his number. Like I said, I was definitely drifting by this point.

There are subplots abound, although none of them mattered much to me. The Russian girl's husband is American, and he appears every now and then to cause havoc. We first meet him as he steals Isabel's umbrella, and we last see him on the Eifel Tower, apologizing and claiming that he needs a therapist. No, I don't consider that spoiling anything, because I haven't given you the reason he's apologizing, or why it means anything to the plot. This part, I did understand, considering he does something, on a whim, that sane people would view as wrong. None of the characters react negatively afterward, save for the scene it happens in.

There are other subplots too, like how Roxy's husband's family are fake, or bad, or something, and eventually we meet Roxy and Isabel's family as well, because we needed even more characters to lose track of. No events seem to lead into the other, with individual scenes seemingly having little to do with the other ones. Individual scenes in this film do work, although without a connection between them or a reason to care, the film itself never comes together.

Oh, another subplot involves an American writer, Olivia (Glenn Close), who also, at one point, had an affair with Edgar. But we meet her before meeting Edgar, and she seems to be friends with Roxy. I guess we're just supposed to assume that coincidence allows this to be, but without any payoff in her storyline, I must question her inclusion. She does nothing but sit and talk with characters, and the relationship with Edgar doesn't even factor in. There's too much going on, and I did not care about any of it.

Anyone going into this film expecting a nice romantic comedy is going to be disappointed; it fails in both aspects. It is not once funny, and it is only sporadically romantic -- if you can call affairs, mistresses and divorce "romantic." It may have been advertised as a funny, gentle romance film, but the ads are misleading. Instead, it wants to show us how the American and French cultures are so different from one another, but apart from a couple of situations and a few lines of dialogue, it fails to do even this.

What's worst of all is that because there are so many plots that need to be tied up (most of them are, even if a couple are not), Le Divorce ends up taking up two hours of your life. I didn't care about a single thing in this film, and it wants to make me spend two hours watching it struggle to do anything of importance, significance or interest. It ends up just wasting a ton of time meandering around because it feels the need to draw out a plot that should take 90 minutes maximum to finish, and then it ends abruptly and without much closure.

Le Divorce is a horrible film, devoid of life, joy, romance, wit, and a point. It needed to be trimmed down by at least 30 minutes, it needed to remove most of its trivial and needles subplots, and it needed characters we cared about. If it tried to do anything, it tried to contrast the American and French societies. But if that's what it goal was, it needed to actually mention that more than a few times throughout, and have the characters experience that idea instead of having random people mention it offhand. This is a worthless film that wasted (what felt like 4) hours of my life.
April 9, 2011
there's something elegant about this picture that draws me.