Le Divorce Reviews

½ May 30, 2007
It's just not that interesting.
jjnxn
April 11, 2007
nothing special
August 22, 2010
This film is supposed to be a comedy of manners. Comes up short.
½ July 4, 2012
I have seen Kate Hudson in better movies; however; it is good movie to watch if out of cash and at home with a glass of tea.
November 12, 2011
While I adore both Watts and Hudson, this movie seemed pointless. For an advertised "romantic comedy" it is amazingly devoid of both romance and laughs. These sisters do not grow as characters, and the situations they are thrown into are quite pretentious and utterly boring. The movie has no depth; all you get is a shiny surface that cannot sustain nearly two hours of film. The ladies DO look good, hence the full star.
November 9, 2007
A disappointment considering that the director and the likes of naomi watts,kate hudson,etc are well known actors
½ August 12, 2007
I actually enjoyed this movie. Didn't agree with some of the things they did or chose to do but how they recovered from their bad choices made this story a movie.
July 5, 2007
This was a but on the slow side, but perfect for a rainy day chick movie when you a bit bummed by silly men in your life.
½ March 25, 2007
I thought this film would be good because Kate Hudson was in it, but I was way wrong it was a big waste of the money that it cost to film it.
½ March 1, 2007
Like the New Yorker come to life, somehow more smug even, because there is not a consciousness of being smug.

It is assholish and tortuous to watch. I saw it at Embarcadero, and when I came out a lovely fog had settled over the north part of the City and was heading for Inner Sunset. I cursed the movie and then forgot it until just now.

Thankfully what I remember is the hushed Tuesday or Wednesday night, the fog and then eventually, the Mission Bus. I am sure I read, and tried to put this disaster out of my mind.

Go fuck yourself Le Divorce.
½ January 22, 2007
This movie sucked monkey balls. Nothing about this movie was good, it was bad the whole way through.
½ January 10, 2007
yea this one was really kinda weird! cheating is not cool no matter how much money the guy has!! but still for the quest of true love is all around in this movie
January 3, 2007
This movie is just plain bad. The dialogue sucks and I can't believe any man (married or not) would ever desire Kate Hudson in a sexual fashion.
December 4, 2006
I thought this was a good movie. I love the visual peices of Paris. Naomi Watts was great as the older sister clingling on to her non-existing marriage to her unfaithful husband. And Kate Hudson was great as her carefree younger sister. A great movie to watch when you have nothing to do on a rainy day.
October 10, 2006
i was surprised that i didn't like this movie as much as i though. i happen to like kate hudson and naomi watts, but this movie just didn't entertain me enough.
½ April 3, 2005
[color=yellow]Long live the blobbie movie weekend! Got a bunch of movies to watch this weekend and my rental store was generous enough to throw in free popcorn and coke - woo hoo! Managed to watch Le Divorce, Barefoot Contessa and Hidalgo.[/color]

[b][color=yellow]Le Divorce (2003)[/color][/b]
[color=yellow]I've read a couple of Diane Johnson's books and this story follows her usual formula; blond heroine is torn between two very different love interests, the moral complexities of adultery, differences between French and American cultures, the Americans are typically in France to broaden their cultural horizons, an intrigue involving art. It was good to see Romain Duris again from L'Auberge Espagnole (great movie!). He plays Yves, Kate Hudson's other love interest.[/color]

[color=yellow]Le Divorce, the film, unfortunately doesn't quite hit the mark. Perhaps the book's [very] slow character development doesn't translate well into film. It's still a good movie but with a better screenplay, better casting and direction, it could have been a lot better. Merchant Ivory are supposed to be good at "cultural" films but I think that a different director skilled with ensemble casts (Robert Altman is a good example-see Prêt-à-Porter) could possibly have done more with the material. [/color]

[color=yellow]There are two specific situations in the movie that irk me; Matthew Modine's small part of jilted husband - he turns from slightly annoying man badgering the jilted wife and sister of jilted wife into psycho killer with no indication or build up to this event. Also Naomi Watts' character goes from bewildered abandoned wife who nonetheless continues to entertain her visiting sibling, to a sudden suicide attempt. In real life each character would have displayed a number of small signs or expressed escalating emotional states to forewarn these events, but in the film we barely see any distress from the characters to make the leap credible. [/color]
½ April 21, 2014
"Le divorce" est le terrible!
November 18, 2012
Not sure why this is labelled a romantic comedy, it's more like a funny tragedy that begins with divorce and ends with death.
½ May 18, 2012
All over the place. Semi-amusing.