Luther

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Luther Reviews

Jon L

November 25, 2012
A great film. This was a lot better than I thought it would be and a really good insight on the state of the Catholic Church at the time. It reaffirmed what I had already though and gave a neat perspective on the life and times of Martin Luther, a man who was willing to go against the grain for something he believed in. Something more people should do these days.
Cynthia S

November 13, 2011
I am not a religious person, but I do appeciate a good historical biodrama. This is a movie that does Martin Luther a great justice, and shows how this man formed some of his thoughts and ideals that he would use to change the world by taking on the Catholic church. Taking on the Catholic church in those days meant risking death. Amazing that he accomplished so much, and developed such a great following. There are some scenes, however, that depict him as being just slightly out of his mind...but I find a lot of geniuses are slightly off kilter. Martin Luther included....
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 29, 2007
fantastic film. accurate and very well acted, great portayal of the start of the reformation
Jens S

October 19, 2006
Pretty interesting history lesson on the life of Martin Luther. Rather quick paced and with a very colorful international cast. Including the wonderful Sir Peter Ustinow in his last big role. Well done.
Dillon L

June 18, 2011
The director just didn't get it right. The acting sucks too. I liked some of the set pieces, I guess. Pretty tedious story-telling.
DrLappos
DrLappos

September 18, 2007
The man is a Protestant God!
December 3, 2011
The most boring history lesson I've ever had to endure. However, watching Ralph Fiennes lesser known brother Joseph Fiennes running around in a cell yelling at the devil (who wasn't there) was rather entertaining.
moviegirl50
January 7, 2008
Story of Martin Luther's crusade to end tyranny in the Roman Catholic church and his success in bringing the scriptures to the German people in their own language....Good true story...unbelievable what they went through.
terris85017
terris85017

December 21, 2008
"Just when we needed unity the most, you [Mon Martin Luther defies the Vatican]" the Cardinal reprimands Luther for printing his opinion in opposition to the Church collecting money for indulgences. Based on the tru story of the German monk Martin Luther (Joseph Fiennes-Elizabeth) who translated the bible into the language of the common man.[German] His convictions changed history! Burned many many to his mind vulgar paintings, but is widely revered for his courage in opposing the corruption of the Roman Catholic church and the newly appointed Pope Leo X.

To myself, a nonCatholic, this movie seemed quite dramatic and ostentatious. Naturally, Luther as a consequence for his seeming ignorance & continued unacceptance of the actions opposing the Vatican was intimidated and eventually tried. Only barely escaping execution for his tyrrany! He is aided by a very wise old German ruler Frederick the Wise (Peter Ustinov) + perhaps by the hand of God escaped execution by the Inquisition. Quite the story.

Watch this movie for some amazing performances of the dynamic cast, including the jolly and rotund Peter Ustinov late in his life.
A long movie but worth watching for the amazing cast and performances. Looking into the eyes of innocence of Fiennes portraying this young, brilliant monk is a spiritual journey in itself!
October 16, 2007
Very interesting movie about the life of Martin Luther. It probably could have gone a bit deeper, but still touching. My favorite scene is when he will not recant.
December 21, 2008
Really good movie on Martain Luther and how the Bible was translteed for the commn mand and the catholic church lost control of some of the people.
July 3, 2008
One of the many people I can't wait to meet when I get to Heaven. A man of God who put his own life on the line to spread the word of the Lord without putting shame or fear into people. He wanted to put the Bible in the hands of the common man. An all around inspirational man and story. Highly recommended.
CinemaQuaker
May 19, 2008
A good, historically-accurate movie, based on the famous leader of the Reformation: Martin Luther. I will never forget this movie, for which it helped me on many of my researches at school. Besides personal reasons, this movie is full of drama and history. Amen (Let it be so.).
lucasaq
May 16, 2008
A bit of different pick with this kind of stilted look at Luther with the passionate Joseph Fiennes. I guess I liked it for its understatedness. It?s not really powerful, but a kind of muted look at Luther. The most intensity of performance actually comes from Molina who is a bit on the overacting side.
March 21, 2008
Great story about the fire starting up on the protestant reformation with the life of Martin Luther.
THEHUMANCONDITION
February 22, 2008
Good, but at times was dull. Specifically during his exile and shortly after. And I didn't like how they portrayed him as crazed.
godsgurl8778
May 27, 2007
This was one of the best movies I have ever seen! It was so inspirational and amazing! But for younger veiwers its a little graphic
May 13, 2007
One of the better historical films to come along in a while, the cinematography and musical scoring are top notch and the filmmakers approach the religious controversies of the time with an even keel and a steady hand. Joseph Feinnes is just as good as his older bro and this movie proves it.
May 8, 2007
An fairly accurate film about a very interesting man. Sir Peter Ustinov is awesome as Frederich the Wise!