63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

90% Outlander: Season 1

The Reckoning Reviews

Cynthia S

October 14, 2010
Well, I have most definitely become a Paul Bettany fan. This movie was really good, and of course he was outstanding in it. The rest of the cast did a great job, also, but I think that he really made this film work. Great storyline, and great camera work.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 28, 2008
Turgid and uninsipired.
Al S

February 1, 2008
A very compelling and entertaing epic mystery. Well-written and very well-performed by it's cast. A dark, riveting and thrilling film. Willem Dafoe and Paul Bettany are extroadinary.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 3, 2007
Starts a little slow but you get captured up in this. I enoyed it, If you like British Film, then you will enjoy this one. For some a rental, other will find it a must for a well Rounded DVD collection.
Mark A

November 23, 2011
This turned out to be a pretty decent murder mystery, set in 14th century England with a priest on the run as the sleuth. A solid cast, with Willem Dafoe, Paul Bettany, and Brian Cox the most recognizable names, carried off their parts well. Dreary scenery, but this is the middle ages, so what is there to expect? The story is pretty straight forward and there are few surprises, but it was nice to watch it unfold.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

January 13, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=darkslategray]"The Reckoning" is a movie starring Paul Bettany as a priest on the run in 1380, who comes upon a wandering, poor, traveling theater group led by Willem Dafoe.(This is long before the invention of theater critics by the way.) They wander across a town where a woman is condemned to death for killing a child. There is some interesting ideas in here about redemption and theatre in the middle ages(I found it interesting that only works from the bible were performed. Kind of like Cecil B. Demille on a much smaller scale...) but it is so ploddingly earnest, that I was expecting(and hoping) that a Monty Python routine would pass through at any second. And as with any movie that he is in, Brian Cox threatens to steal the film with a delirious performance. [/color][/font]
Deb S

January 17, 2010
"What are you really running from? I see it in you, not the woman...some darker secret."

During the 1300's in England, a disgraced priest (Paul Bettany) flees his church and joins a traveling troupe of actors. They are set to perform in a village where a boy has recently been murdered. In search of the truth, the troupe acts out a performance of the alleged crime.

A unique and exceptional murder mystery with stellar performances by Paul Bettany and Willem Dafoe.

"Theirs is the silence of consent."
FanGirl
FanGirl

March 25, 2007
I thought this film looked sort of boreing but it ended up being really good. I highly recommend it.
June 9, 2009
Slow to start and confusing at times but all came together.
Movie could have went into more depth for Bettany's character.
Not sure I like Defoe in this role, although I love him as an actor.
April 16, 2008
A very strange but interesting film set in the Middle Ages. Bettany is a preist who murdered the husband of his lover so runs form the village he live sin and joins an traveling acting troupe...who become entangle din a village where someone is murdering the children. Worth a viewing.
August 14, 2007
This movie was surprisingly good. It has a thought provoking story and while you think the movie is going to be about Paul Bettany, it ends up being about something entirely different. Though he is the main person at first, other stories are added and the focus is taken off of him. I haven't seen many movies do that. They made you believe he wasn't important until his time had come to do something good or to reveal something we didn't know. Although the conversation between De Gues and Bettany at the end of the movie was rather tiresome at somepoints, I higly enjoyed the camera movement and editing. De Gues would be speaking and the camera would cut to another angle of him and he would just be staring at Bettany, but his voice still continued. Very eery, considering the nature of his character. DeFoe was a very enjoyable character, but what impressed me overall about the film... was the imagery.
Strange scenes depicting the preperation and lives of the actors. Though the scenes seemed meaningless, they held an intriguing peculiarity about them.
Also, the woman who was accused for the murder did an amazing job at acting without having ot speak. I was actually moved by her silence.
I could see why The DaVinici could got Bettany to play that crazy monk, because he just looks so befitting in a black robe.
ravn87
August 10, 2007
This has a lt of meaning and search for one man's redemption as well as the aiding for another's innocent redemption and the coup de tat of the guilty hierarchy in turn while searching for his own, and giving his play company mates a purpose for their wandering and showmanship...all in act for the search of his own redemption. It draws strings I tell ya. Mine.
crazyval33
February 15, 2007
This film had a very compelling story, and incredible acting. (Paul Bettany!) But the camera cuts! Yikes! They get annoying pretty fast.
morningstarr2000
October 25, 2006
Little known movie. Awesome acting. A few slow parts, just so that you can get the story. Wonderful, powerful ending.
dis3a53d
July 24, 2006
A very underrated, barely known movie. Despite some slow parts, it really is a good story about a man coping with and confronting his past sins, and using himself to help others. The acting is fantastic, as well.
December 16, 2012
The Reckoning is a powerful film about the nature of truth and justice set in the Middle Ages, with a gripping script and an excellent cast. It was a nice change from medieval films that are all about battles and fighting. Some of the critics compared it to The Name of the Rose, also an excellent film about the Middle Ages and a series of murders, but there are the only similarities. Each is a brilliant and intriguing movie in it's own right.
July 19, 2012
Tediously slow movie that feels every inch an adapted play as it shows little imagination in locations while being wordy when visual would have conveyed the meaning just as well. Defoe tries his best to fill the space but faced with the stagnant void that defines Bettany's style of acting the whole thing moves at a snails pace. If the first hour could be condensed into 20minutes the movie would have worked a lot better as the 4th act actually delivers something but it's too long a journey to be satisfying.
SchumiF1
June 26, 2011
Great movie. Expected nothing less.
April 24, 2011
Started out interesting enough, but the ending was very unsatisfactory. When the film seemed like a disturbing and complex story of a priest's redemption, it ended on a very rushed, sour note. Bettany could have done better. Skip it.