The Goodbye Girl Reviews

½ July 29, 2012
Nothing different of the original The Goodbye Girl.
November 3, 2006
Cute.
December 14, 2009
As with the 1977 original of The Goodbye Girl, two mismatched roommates live together as they take their chance in a new relationship. When Paula McFadden's actor boyfriend split today for a movie role, struggling actor Elliot Garfield moves into their Manhattan apartment as its new tenant's name. As Elliot doesn't have the heart to enforce his lease he plays Richard III on an off-off-Broadway play. Directed by Richard Benjamin and starring the great acting performances by Jeff Daniels, Patricia Heaton, and Hallie Kate Eisenberg. I find this 2004 update as good as the original, meaning that it is still romantic, dramatic, and comedic altogether; of course, you can still say hello to Neil Simon's finest love story anyways.
½ May 24, 2008
See the original. Patricia Heaton is really bad in this....ewwww! There is no chemistry between her and Jeff Daniels at all.
April 20, 2007
I have not read the play, nor have I seen the original movie, but I liked this quite a lot. The opening half hour or so was rough going, with way more soap opera drama than anything else. But after that first half hour, it began to pick up and became rather a sweet movie with characters I was warming to. The little girl was fairly annoying all the way through, alternately too precocious and too young, always too sappily sweet. But the story isn't about her, it's about the adults, both of which became well-developed characters toward the end and made it a satisfying movie, if not great by any means.
January 13, 2007
One of Neil Simons greatest stories. Richard Dryfuss and Marsha Mason are at their peeks in this one.
September 1, 2012
ouch, patty heaton proving her acting skills, NONE!!
she is awful
½ July 29, 2012
Nothing different of the original The Goodbye Girl.
½ June 29, 2011
Jeff Daniels captures the feeling of this play very well. I admire him for his effort, nuance, and energy, although often enough I felt that he was only imitating the original film (a performance that cannot be matched). I would have liked to see something more original, but I'm grateful for what I did get, which was a powerful and admirable homage to the genius of Richard Dreyfuss.

Although Patricia Heaton acted her part well enough for me to feel it, I thought the movie could have been improved if they had chosen an actress who could do her own dancing. She also didn't have as much energy as I hoped. She did elicit sympathy from me, though, which shows a level of commitment and skill admirable in any actor.

Hallie Kate Eisenberg I found frustratingly shallow, which, although typical of child stars, isn't universal. I think her dimples prevent her from acting either sophisticated or sullen, both of which are demanded in the script.
September 28, 2005
This TNT remake may be pure fluff, but in general, there is nothing bad about this film. Call it good fluff. After all, what can you expect from a cable remake of a classic? Heaton and Daniels are engaging and believable and do have a real chemistry. There are plenty of funny moments in this guilty pleasure.
½ March 20, 2005
Neil Simon writes such wonderful scripts. It is such a disappointment to see his play interpreted so lamely by these actors. Dreyfuss and Mason in the original version were passionate, funny, energetic -- just perfect. I watched this one on DVD and I kept getting up to do different chores around the house I was so bored!
October 29, 2004
ALMOST A SCENE FOR SCENE REMAKE OF THE ORIGINAL AND IT IS JUST AS GOOD. DANIELS ISN'T QUITE AS GOOD AS DREYFUSS WAS BUT HEATON DOES A BETTER JOB THAN MASON. SHE IS MUCH MORE LIKEABLE , WHERE AS MASON WAS IRRITATING. TYPICAL NEIL SIMON DIALOGUE.