Kal Ho Naa Ho Reviews

3niR
½ July 23, 2010
I loved this movie. The dialogues were really funny. At some point, it did seemed a bit lame (when Shahrukh was acting like an irritating neighbor who comes to ask for something, that part wasn't near laughable). I like Preity Zinta. She looked really good. One thing I don't like about Bollywood movies is they are super long. But this movie was enjoyable from starting till the end. The ending was purely heart-breaking. Made me cry. I do recommend this to watch. It's a great family movie (Off it goes to my favorite list).
August 25, 2009
This marks my first bona-fide Bollywood film. (No, Slumdog Millionaire doesn't count.) And it has its merits. I love how immersed everybody is with culture, not just their native Indian culture but also that of America. I love the spontaneous breakouts into song - such unique, colorful, big productions. That being said, this movie is WAY too long and cheesy. Also, I did not cry.
November 13, 2007
Tomorrow May Never ComeAnother one in my extended exploration of Bollywood. Not my favorite so far, but I like the New York City setting. Bollywood, I've noticed, likes to give lots of viewing time to an appreciative audience. Of all the ones I've seen so far, this one is one I definitely think could have used some crispy editing. I also believe this one may come closest to what I'd imagine an Indian TV soap might be like. Depending on your emotional connection to this story, you may or may not need to have the tissues handy.
iLeo
½ January 16, 2008
An amazing movie by Nikhil Advani about friendship, love, and the close ties and value of family. Preity Zinta, Shahrukh Khan, and Saif Ali Khan star in this fascinating story about three individuals who are brought together through friendship, and are paired off through convenience rather than seeking their true desires. Although one is ailing of terminal illness, the other two are abruptly matched to disbarge loneliness and embark companionship. Great music. Worth seeing!
½ October 29, 2012
This movie was excessively long, but definitely worth a watch. The whole story is very sad and the cast was great.
½ March 7, 2009
I. Hate. This. Movie. With a passion!!!

I saw this movie in my film class...and it was the general consensus that this movie robbed us of 184 minutes of our lives. We cheered and applauded when the movie ended because the torture of having to watch it was finally over. So what makes this such a horrifically bad movie?

Spoilers ahead.

1. Script/storyline: This movie is just one huge bag of cliches. There's the girl with glasses, Naina, who acts bitchy because she doesn't have a boyfriend. A mysterious stranger, Aman (who must have portals over NY--he pops out of farking nowhere and is supposed to be witty and endearing but, to me, he was just one huge asshole and stalker), moves in next door and falls in love with her; it turns out that (*gasp*) Naina's quite attractive without her glasses on! And of course, Naina's best friend, Rohit, has to go and fall in love with her as well in order to make a triangle. Naina truly loves Aman, but (*gasp* again) she finds out he's married. Oh, just kidding. He's not married. His "wife" is his doctor that's treating him because he is (*gasp* once more) suffering from a terminal illness. This movie was just insulting to watch--it seems to say "Hey, you thought this couldn't get any stupider? Well, you were wrong, f*cktard! Here's another goddamn cliche combined with dialogue that a 10 year old probably wrote just to piss you off some more!"

End of spoilers.

2. Acting: If over-the-top, thoroughly unconvincing performances equaled good acting, everyone in this movie would have been lauded as some of the finest actors to ever grace the screen.

3. Style: This movie tries to sell itself on the idea that is has a radically different style. And you know what? It does! It's called "bad editing" and "shitty camera work." If abrupt and annoying transitions, constant zooming in and out during the same shot, and ridiculous amounts of time characters spend staring at each other rather than trying to move the plot forward constitute great style, then this movie is beyond successful.

4. Music: Coming from a person who loves musicals, I hated the numbers in this movie. The musical numbers were excruciatingly long and contributed almost nothing to the story. Oh, and the "romantic" theme song that's only four notes that loops throughout the entire damn movie. Oh, and the music suited for Holocaust movies that played whenever someone was suffering from heartbreak. Yep, I hated the music in this movie. All of it.

Screw electric torture. Just force POWs to watch this movie and they'll be suffering hard enough.
July 4, 2008
cuuuuuute~
but i hated the part when aman died...
it was sad :'( but preity zinta was rly pretty in this movie
February 17, 2008
how can you actually love a film where shahrukh khan dies? the songs were nice, i loved the spin on pretty woman.
July 13, 2007
LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT!!! It made me cry, and it was just so beautiful and extremely sad =(!! Enjoy it^-^!!
July 22, 2007
I CRIED! SHAHRUKH IS SO STUBORN IN THIS MOVIE. I LOVE "PREITY WOMEN" THAT SONG WAZ SO CUTE! JAYA BACHAN WAS AMAZING. NO SURPRISE THERE!
June 7, 2007
Who knows if there will be a tomorrow. This movie is a good movie of my favorite actor who falls in love but can't show his love because of a disease he has.
May 19, 2007
Potrayed the way many Indian movies are. Funny romantic comedy. Kal Ho Naa Ho was absolutely hilarious and I have to say it is my all time fav. Indian movie & close to my favortie movie of all time. Everybody should try to watch it, even if watching movies in subtitles bothers you!
May 27, 2007
It was my roommate in my Freshman year who introduced me to "Bollywood", and I had to say, I was somewhat skeptical. It seemed like a chick-flick, for one thing, and for another, there was the whole cultural/language barrier.

But he convinced me to sit down and watch it. And I was deeply impressed. It was a touching story about true love.

The songs were enjoyable, and pretty catchy. Always good for a musical. The story was fairly creative as well. A love triangle forms between the three main characters, but one of them (I apologize...I forgot all the names), loves the girl so much, and is so close to his friend (the other main character) that he is willing to sacrafice any chance with her so that the other two will find love with each other.

My only complaint with the movie is it's major plot twist. The sacraficial main character (the one in red, pictured on the cover) develops an unnamed and uncureable heart disease. Why? It just seemed unnecessary.

Otherwise, it was a great movie, and was certainly and intriguing experience.
½ May 8, 2007
IT WAS A SWEET MOVIE, BUT AT HE END SHAH RUKH KHAN DIES IN THE END...IT DID NOT LIKE THAT LIKE IN DEDVAS!!! HE IS SO HAMDSOME..
April 24, 2007
a very good movie. the plot was excellent. the performance was full of meaning, and the moral behind the movie was deeply shown. a must see, especially for those who believe that "kal ho naa ho"
½ April 6, 2007
this movie makes me cry errtime, it's romantic, but more importantly it's about honor and friendship and there's cheesy dance numbers
March 25, 2007
another one of the classics that everyone has to see. its funny but its also sad at some parts. if you like hindi movies i would reccomend this to you.
February 16, 2007
This movie you might not know also,but it talks about realationships and how life can take a turn on each,when a girl likes none of these guys,but both like her,and she gets married to one but the other suffers,and has a tragic loss.
½ February 11, 2007
It was a great flick, very emotional towards the end. I thought it was hilarious to hear a version of Pretty Woman in hindi, and just they used a song also from another movie, i was laughing hysterically though the majority of the beginning.
½ February 6, 2007
This movie will make you smile and cry all at the same time. Its a typical Johar production which means its a great film to watch. Its emotional but not all the way quite a chic flick.