The Skeleton Key Reviews

June 29, 2008
Creepy movie with some nice twists.
ScoopOnline
July 19, 2007
If someone likes occult stuff, this is a right thing, there is a tiny bit of everything.
Skeleton Key is one of the greatest Mystery/Occult Movies I think.
½ November 3, 2007
Scary movie. I spent most of the movie trying to figure out who the bad guy was and how was it going to end? It didn't end the way I figured it would.

Pretty bad. I watched this movie again five years later, and it still did not end the way I figured it would (I had forgotten that I had seen the movie already)
October 2, 2006
Decent enough horor/thriller
blkbomb
January 19, 2011
Violet Devereaux: We've been waiting for you, Caroline.

"You Will Believe"

The Skeleton Key is a pretty creepy and completely atmospheric supernatural thriller. I wouldn't say it is all that scary, but it definitely has it's moments. One thing it always is though; is interesting. The movie has a really cool and interesting premise.

Caroline takes a job as a hospice worker in the deep south, where she isn't from. She's from New Jersey; The Garden State. An old married couple require her services. One of them, Ben, just had a stroke and can't move or talk. The other, Violet, is a grieving wife who is about to lose her husband. Another character who Caroline meets is the couples lawyer, Luke. He's a pretty friendly guy who seems to take an interest in Caroline. The story really starts when Caroline notices some weird things in the house, such as a Hoodoo room. Also, there are no mirrors in the house and Violet will not allow her to put one up.The story takes some unexpected twists and turns as it comes to a pretty cool and satisfying conclusion in my book.

It is a movie that I think most will either love or hate and from the reviews it seems that way. I really love this movie though. It has a really fun premise and remains completely engrossing the entire time. The cast is pretty good too. I always like Peter Saarsgard and he's pretty good here, with his down South accent. Kate Hudson is passable in the lead role. But Gena Rowlands really steals the show as Violet and John Hurt gives a pretty good performance as a man that doesn't even talk, except for one exception.

What really wins this movie over for me is the atmosphere. The setting is in a old creepy looking house in the swamps of Louisiana. The mood throughout the whole movie is heavy and dark and justifiably so. This may not crate new standards for the thriller or horror genres, but it did manage to be a thoroughly enjoyable ghost story.
stevenecarrier
July 8, 2011
"The Skeleton Key" is certainly goofy and the various filters and morphing effects used to create 'creepy' images add a high level of camp, but the story itself is so interesting it helps pull the film through. The Hoodoo storyline is fun and the ending is suitably dark. The performances are serviceable with Kate Hudson delivering a believable turn. "The Skeleton Key" is rather straightforward when it comes down to it, but it has small, moody moments that make it slightly better than the rest.
October 16, 2010
Such a cool movie and I love the inclusion of Hoodoo into the plot. The story and characters are so interesting on their own, but given the New Orleans backdrop it's even more effective. Sure it plays like a traditional mystery, but the final outcome is completely original and one of the better twist scenarios. Kate Hudson pulled of a serious lead without any effort and Gena Rowlands was extremely creepy and bizarre.
garyX
March 18, 2007
A young care worker takes a live in job looking after an elderly lady's ailing husband but comes to suspect that she is the one responsible for his condition. As the DVD cover screamed "FROM THE WRITER OF THE RING"!!!! I was pretty sure what to expect from this film, but it actually doesn't really fall into the generic J horror category at all. Having some of the feel of the "enemy within" Hitchcock thrillers such as Suspicion and Rebecca, it also has a some nice local deep southern colour, the photography is quite atmospheric and although it isn't exactly full of surprises, there are enough twists and turns to keep your interest. Not exactly a cornucopia of originality and invention but it is a decent piece of Twilight Zonery that's a lot better than the similar The Others.
YodaMasterJedi
September 8, 2010
2 stars
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 9, 2010
The Skeleton Key is a superb film with a terrific story. Having low expectations before watching this film, I thought I would be disappointed once the film would be over. To my surprise, it was a disappointment at all. Though not flawless, the film is better than most horror films released nowadays, and in the end it is one of the better horror films of this decade. Considering that most Hollywood studios want to remake classic horror films, The Skeleton Key offers a breath of fresh air for fans who seek decent horror. Personally I thought it was a superb film simply because of the solid story. Kate Hudson delivers her second best performance of her career, the first being Almost Famous. The Skeleton Key is a creepy film, but overall it's a fresh new take on a tired out genre where remakes dominate cinemas. Skeleton Key is the type of film that you either love it or hate it. I loved it and I thought it was an original horror film long overdue.
FilmFanatik
April 22, 2007
It had an interesting ending, but that's about it.
January 21, 2010
This is a fun movie that pays tribute to the Voodoo horror subgenre. A slightly cheesy and racially exploitative little thriller with some very nice cinematography.
½ August 15, 2009
The story and even the magic and horror work to perfection in this gem
Clintus M.
February 24, 2009
This is a mildly entertaining though predictable Southern gothic haunted house flick. I liked the atmophere, and the cinematography was excellent. They tried a fresh spin with the Hoodoo angle, but it wasn't enough to elevate this film out of the mediocre range. John Hurt was expressive, given no dialogue to work with. If you're interested, see BURNT OFFERINGS too. The plot is similar, and overall, better done.
June 20, 2006
I really liked the ending to this film, but it was a long time in coming. I probably liked this film because I don't usually like Kate Hudson's comedies and I found the tone of this film a refreshing change. It's a much better use of the actress. The story is a good one, and it's probably easy to make a scary movie if it's set in the Bayou. This movie also gets mad props for coming up with a genuinely inventive and new twist ending, something lacking in the horror field as of late. Really interesting movie.
½ January 6, 2009
Nice supernatural thriller with a great twisted ending. Not many will agree, but IMO, "A MUST WATCH".
½ May 15, 2007
Bitch. That's the only thing I could think of as the credits rolled. I felt like I hated this movie. And since it inspired such strong feelings of hatred about the characters in it (especially the one played by the actor... Saarsgard is it?) and about how the whole thing turned out, I actually think the movie wasn't that bad at all. Suspenseful but couldn't help thinking it was filled with some cheap scares.
June 13, 2006
Set in the swamps outside of New Orleans this voodoo horror film actually creates a pretty good atmosphere to built its story on. And although nothing terribly exciting happens for a while the audience is still starting to wonder what's going on in the old house in which Kate Hudson is taking care of John Hurt. It all culminates in a pretty exciting finale and a quite unusual solution for Hollywood standards. Had the potential to be a bit more scary but is definitely worth checking out for fans of the genre. And Kate Hudson is rather nice to look at too.
½ March 26, 2007
A pretty unique touch on the subject of voodoo, a pretty good story with an unpredictable ending
March 3, 2008
I was very pleasantly surprised by this film. My very favorite kind of ghost story.