Strangers with Candy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Strangers with Candy Reviews

½ August 12, 2014
Hilarious in a Tracy Ulman kind of way...only better. I laughed often and heartily at this over-the-top, crazy comedy.
October 13, 2011
Strangers With Candy is a decent comedy. The film boasts a decent cast as well. Strangers With Candy has some laughs here and there, but as a good comedy, it never succeeds at being anything other than decent. I felt that the films weakness was that it tried to hard at making you laugh, for me a comedy should be effortless at making you laugh. Strangers With Candy is funny, but at times the jokes fall flat and are boring. The film does make you laugh, but by the films end, you realize that this film could have much better. There was a good cast of comedic talent at work here, and I'm actually quite surprised that this was the best they could do. The results are decent and there is nothing really great about the film. I thought that the film was fairly forgettable, and is the type of film that you need to see only once. This is not a film that demands repeated viewings. Stephen Colbert was the funniest aspect of this film, and he definitely made the film a bit more watchable. But like I said, the film is decent and has a few good laughs, but the film takes its time to build up, and keep the laughs moving along. This film had so much potential, however half the way it's very boring. Worth watching once, and you can forget about it, there's nothing really effective at work. This is simply a decent film that could have been much better than this.
½ October 8, 2007
Ewww...kay. This is a movie where a bunch of action I don't care about is held together by characters I really don't like. Amy Sedaris is a pretty good actress and more power to her for happily obliterating her natural beauty with frumy makeup, but the character she created isn't worth watching. She's boring, vain, flippantly cruel, self-centered and stupid. Every main character - the ones you're supposed to pay attention to - are all horrible people, and the only ones that aren't are only there to get treated like hell for comedic value. This just does not float my boat.
June 22, 2011
Funny and a good film to watch, Strangers With Candy, however presents a weak script, despire the great gags and the plot. Amy Sedaris, too, help a lot the sucess and the comedy of the film.
July 12, 2007
Colbert is hilarious, too bad there is other people in it.
April 20, 2007
A pretty disappointing movie that came from a truly hilarious show. It didn't capture the feel of the show and felt really obligatory. A second viewing takes some of the sting out of the unmet expectations you're sure to have if you compare the movie to the show. Some of the connections between the show and the movie just don't happen but if you can let it go you may enjoy this--some of which is genuinely hilarious.
December 10, 2006
It started out as an ok movie and then quickly plummeted into a boring comedy with few laughs. Colbert was the only bright spot in this painful to watch film.
June 14, 2006
A very funny movie. Made better by all of the actors playing their characters and the situations straight. It's too bad this wont reach a large audience, because it is very funny.
April 12, 2007
This movie was ALOT funnier than I expected. Some of it can be a little grating, but there are pleanty of laughs to be had.
½ January 31, 2008
Jerri Blank apparently doesn't learn lessons like normal people but this movie is just as entertaining as the show.
September 14, 2006
Still really funny in parts but the television series was much funnier. Amy Sedaris is a riot!
½ July 10, 2007
I have been meaning to check out the TV show, so when the film came out on DVD I immediately picked it up. What I ended up with was a deliciously bizarre, well acted comedy which, unfortunitely, never quite goes as far as it could to push the envelope, offend and just plain old mistify with its off-the-wall humor.

The film pokes fun at the conventions of the teen film, but it is not a spoof. It exists in a universe by itself and you will either be into it or not. I most certainly was, though I feel the film played it too safe at times.

Fans of Stephen Colbert, black humor and independent comedy will find plenty to like here. I did, and seeking out the show all the more eagerly.
July 4, 2007
Unbeleivable weird.
½ May 16, 2007
Very odd - almost fell asleep through it, but I seen it to the end. I think they could have gotten another actress to play the lead.
August 19, 2006
Felt like a giant episode of the show. Oh did I mention I could never stand watching the show?
½ August 11, 2006
The series was flat out one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The movie however was a little disappointing. Many of the jokes were taken straight from the series. Sarah Jessica Parker was quite good in her short cameo though. I still love Amy Sedaris.
½ September 15, 2011
Funny movie that is technically set before the events of the TV series. The TV series is FANTASTIC, and when it gets right down to it - this is a movie for the fans of Strangers With Candy. So that is me, my brothers , my roommate, my girlfriend, and a handful of other people that like the dark humor. It was never a show for everyone, and this makes the audience that much smaller for the film.
July 17, 2010
Rough start. Very rough -- almost turned it off. But it finds its rhythm and it's completely off the wall weird and cringe-inducing. Colbert is comedy gold.
March 15, 2010
Am I an idiot for finding this pretty hilarious? Possibly. But it WAS. Stephen Colbert was, of course, the funniest part of it, and maybe he wasn't in it as much as he should have been, but the other characters were humorous, too. Sure, they were annoying and unlikable, but that doesn't make them any less funny, does it? I was just wondering how Matthew Broderick ended up in this movie, and why I didn't know that he was in it. But, ahem, anyway. Yes. This movie was funny. Stupid, but funny. (I can't be the only person who thought that calling the principal "Mr. Blackman" was great, right?)
½ September 16, 2006
I had read a great review of this movie so I rented it...bad idea. The jokes are indescribably overacted, moronic and venal. To say they were obvious as an exploding cigar in the face of a clown, would to be complimentary. This is, in my opinion one of the worst movies ever made. They tried to squeeze one last million out of a TV franchise that had long run out of gas and brains. We see a perversely grotesque vision of all-American suburban high school life acted with incongruous good cheer and ersatz schmaltzy "uplift," while the incessantly voiced racist and gay-bashing remarks are so pointedly ludicrous that they parody prejudice itself.