—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Pride and Prejudice Reviews

John M

May 4, 2008
A very good movie. I will get ridiculed by my friends but this was well worth the time i spent watching it
Nicki M

January 2, 2008
Decent, but really not my type of movie. I would totally hate to live in that era, I can't believe women go all silly over it. I just felt cross the whole time watching the women married off and treated like cattle. Not my idea of a romantic film!
As to the cast, the highlight here is Keira. She is fantastic as Lizzie. The actor playing Darcy, I agree with a previous reviewer - he looks constipated.
Carey Milligan doesn't have a lot to do here but giggle. Jenna Malone I couldn't even recognize. The parents I found tiresome.
The movie itself looks great and there are some nice shots here.
I am very mixed on this movie. I didn't like the message a whole lot - particularly the 15 year old sister. However, I realize different times. At least Lizzie was a little older and spirited. I guess I am still thinking about it a day later, so it must work in some level...
jamers2011
jamers2011

October 21, 2010
This film really took me by surprise, not by how good it was, but by how much I liked it. This excellent film completely took me in and I absolutely loved it.

There's really not much to say about this one. The story is great, and brilliantly adapted from the famous Jane Austen novel. The cinematography is excellent, as are the props, costumes, etc...you are truly transported into the era. The music is good; the writing is good; the cast is good...everything about this film is good.

Special mention must go to Keira Knightley Oscar nominated performance. It really was that good! She's an actress that I highly respect and enjoy despite the skeptics that accuse her of not being that great of an actress. But her performance here is proof of her talents. I loved her in this film!

Pride & Prejudice is an excellent film! A must see!
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 15, 2011
Pride and Prejudice is one fo the most ineteresting films I have ever seen. The plot was beautiful and interesting. The cats was amazing and Keira Knightely was great. The production was one fo the best parts, it all looked so real, so much detail was put in, I loved it. This movie was tremendous, one of those films you should watch with your wife because you can keep her happy while watching a romance movie that is amazing.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
At time it lost me as it's not my sort of film but you can't help but fall in love with Mr. Darcy. A great film!
Wildaly M

May 12, 2007
One of the best love story of all time. Absolutely, one of my favorites. The actor playing Mr. Darcy is positively enchanting and dare I say the best Darcy of all time.
Zach B

December 25, 2010
When it comes to reviewing films, as often as I have said this, there are four main things: Direction, Script, Acting, and Score. If any of these things are missing, then it is automatically not that much of a film. Now, this is a film that has the sometimes needed fifth element: Setting. In terms of making this period piece magnificent it must have magnificent and lush setting. The scenery that is captured in this film, the landscaping, is just purely breath taking. This entire film, just to look at, is wonderful. It shows that a lot of time, energy, and care was put into this number. Now, the score I found to be really fitting into the story. I loved how it is the main element that set the mood for the entire film. The direction and pace of this film, is remarkably fast at all times. There is not one scene that lags at all, and that is a rather good aspect to this film. In terms of script, the story does take a life outside of the famous novel that this is based off of. Now, for the major component of this entire film: The Acting. For the most part, the acting was magnificent. I loved how for most of the actors, the words just flew out of their mouth, phrases that you will not normally hear in today's society, so perfectly. It really seems like they spoke like this and as such all the time. The only down fall has to be the acting of Matthew MacFadyen. He only showed one emotion threw out this entire film: Boredom. Never once did he show any true interest in this film at all, until the very end and in which case, I gave up on that actor. Bottom line: This is a wonderful film, brilliantly shot with a near perfect cast, script and score.
Nadira I

October 25, 2010
Keira Knightley deliver her best performance here with outstanding chemistry with Matthew MacFadyen. 18th century language did not seem to bother her at all. It is a good remake of the film, a piece of art from the popular novel by Jane Austen. Enchanting movie with spectacular cinematography. "Pride and Prejudice" is a classic movie of love that have been remade a lot of time and all I can say is this 2005 version will not dissapoint at all.
Emile T

December 21, 2007
If it wasn't for the inappropriate use of zoom, the magnificent cinematography would have been perfect and would have had up to the surprisingly high quality of this film.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

November 9, 2010
Joe Wright's "Pride & Prejudice" is a movie among movies. One of the most powerfully romantic films I have ever come across. You don't just get Jane Austen's first rate story of romance, social satire, wit and politics, you also get filmmaking at it's finest. Featuring some of the most spectacular cinematography ever committed to film, a breathtaking score, and some extremely calculated performances. Not to single anyone out but Keira Knightley (so deserving of her Best Actress nomination) is simply extraordinary here. "Pride & Prejudice" is a motion picture to be cherished and remembered. It's exactly how a movie should be made, in every way conceivable. What a film.
Spencer S

April 4, 2010
A great adaptation and performance from MacFadyen and Knightley. Blethyn is the perfect worried mother, as usual, and the whole thing is very Austen.
erika250
erika250

July 11, 2010
too slow
Lewis C

June 21, 2007
"I could more easily forgive his vanity had he not wounded mine."

Pride & Prejudice is a more than adequate adaptation of Jane Austen's most famous celebrated novel. It marries her classic writing with an excellent cast, great sets, and beautiful cinematography.

For me, the movie begins and ends with Keira Knightley. If she wasn't in it, I doubt I ever would have been compelled to watch it. But knowing how good of an actress she is and how she excels in period movies like this, I was happy to give it a shot. And she was wonderful, as usual. It's hard to imagine a better modern actress to portray Elizabeth Bennett. She was, of course, supported on all sides by fine performances from Donald Sutherland, Rosmaund Pike, Judi Dench, and several others. But it was undoubtedly Knightley's show, and there was nary a hitch to be seen.

The other standout element in Pride & Prejudice is the dialogue. This is no surprise, as the script was lifted directly from Austen's lauded prose. Good writing made the novel a favorite for over 200 years, and it makes this movie a success, as well.

I can't imagine anyone who has enjoyed the book thinking that this is anything other than a fine adaptation, all around.
Jeremy S

May 26, 2006
Enchanting, But BBC Version Is still The Pride and Prejudice adaptation. Enchanting in every way from start to finish. At once Ravishingly lavish and yeat also naturally simple. Perhaps not as great as the BBC one, yet I never grow tired of Pride and Prejudice.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 28, 2009
CAST: Keira Knightley, Matthew MacFadyen, Rosamund Pike, Brenda Blethyn, Donald Sutherland, Jena Malone, Carey Mulligan, Talulah Riley, Simon Woods, Kelly Reilly, Rupert Friend, Judi Dench

DIRECTED BY: Joe Wright

SUMMARY: The classic tale of love and values unfolds in the class-conscious England of the late 18th century. The five Bennet sisters -- including strong-willed Elizabeth and young Lydia -- have all been raisedd by their mother with one purpose in life: finding a husband. When a wealthy bachelor takes up residence in a nearby mansion, the Bennets are abuzz. Amongst the man's sophisticated circle of friends, surely there will be no shortage of suitors for the Bennet sisters. But when Elizabeth meets up with the handsome and -- it would seem -- snobbish Mr. Darcy, the battle of the sexes is joined.

MY THOUGHTS: It was beautifully done, and well acted. Loved all the characters. Keira Knightley made this film most joyful for me to watch. Loved her in this film. Her characters quick Wit, how out spoken she is, and just her whole persona. Really like-able and relatable. The love story was intriguing as well. I have yet to read the book, but now want to after seeing the film. I really don't watch a lot of period pieces(I found that most are boring), but I really enjoyed this one. Loved Brenda Blethyn as the crazy mother. She was quite entertaining. All the sisters were fun as well. All very different. Good movie, well done, and with great acting especially by Keira. Definitely recommend it if you have yet to see it.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

March 15, 2008
This is one of the best movies of all time...
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 1, 2009
A beautifull Tale.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
an incredible period piece by joe wright who seems to favour keira knightley, apparently. pride and prejudice was joe's debut big budget film and a brilliant one at that.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
i love this movie keira knightly is great at these period dramas and this film isnt a disappointment its funny and a sweet romcom!!
Edward B

June 12, 2007
A surprising and fulfilling take on this great love story.