Summer Storm (Sommersturm) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer Storm (Sommersturm) Reviews

½ January 13, 2007
Irritatingly simple-minded gay coming-of-age story.
½ March 28, 2008
This sweet gay German film has some great music and some really tender moments.
August 9, 2007
I hate romance movies. BUT I love gay romance. I have no idea why and so in July of 2008 I just watched a lot of gay romance movies because they are so damn awesome. They are the only kind of romance movies in which I want the characters to get together. So anyway, although the main guy was ugly and looked like Brad Greenquist (Pascal from Pet Sematary) I still enjoyed it. For some reason in every gay movie I watched one of the guys would be extremely ugly and the other... not. Um... so it was kind of funny and ok, but I wanted Tobi and Achim to get together (like I said I always want happy endings in gay romance and unhappy endings in hetero romance, and I'm a straight female... go figure).
iLeo
December 27, 2007
Great movie! Great music.
July 22, 2006
Wonderful coming-of-age film.
April 2, 2010
This was a really good coming-of-age story with its confusions, crushes, and heartaches but with touches of humor as well. The ending was also good, no tragedy here.
½ March 10, 2010
Plot is not very original, but the characters are deeply fun. Great cinematography and direction. Its worth at least one watch.
June 3, 2009
I absolutely adore this film! It is such a beautiful to watch. The director of photography must be really good. It's such a lovely story. It's also filled with hidden symbols to interpret. Also, I like how the soundtracks are all in English. It shows the contrast to the film itself, which is in German.
December 7, 2008
Coming of age and out of a young teen boy who is going to a camp for a rowing competition. Who is the competition, none other than an all gay rowing team. Nice enough story and acting.
August 3, 2008
Of all the gay coming-of-age movies I've seen, this German film is one of the best. The premise, a closeted crew member forced to confront his feelings for his best friend when he meets an all-gay rowing team, is surprisingly original and yet creates the perfect set-up for drama, romance, and comedy, none of which seem forced. The characters are believable and multi-dimensional, so even when they make poor choices, I can still feel for them and understand their dilemmas. There are also many humorous moments throughout the movie that make it very entertaining to watch. The balance between lighter and heavier subject matter is near-perfect, and even the cinematography and soundtrack are great.
June 23, 2008
One of the better coming out stories out there. Refreshing, funny and it delivers a clear message: be yourself or die.
June 6, 2008
i really liked this gay coming-of-age film. and not just because i related to the main character. yeah, this kind of story has been done a million times before, but this was definitely one of the better ones. it's full of emotional moments and at the same time balances it well with some light-hearted moments.
March 23, 2008
:fresh: :fresh: :fresh: [color=black]A wonderful movie about coming to terms with the secrets that are meant to be exposed, and the pains that come with becoming okay with being gay.[/color]
½ January 7, 2008
I rowed for five years in high school, and was on the rowing team when I came out of the closet at seventeen. That being said, when I heard about this movie, I felt an obligation to see it. That being said, I never had a crush on a straight best friend (at least not to the extent Tobi had with Achim). I found it difficult to watch some of the more uncomfortable and awkward moments, because they brought back some memories I don't care to often think about. There's some really strong characters in this movie, and the story played out well (at times somewhat cliche). I would have liked to see a bit more on the rowing aspect, have that tied into the meaning of the plot. Why choose rowing and not really use it aside from having it be the one thing everyone has in common. Maybe it's the American "I-Must-Win-Everything' gene that I've got embedded in me, but I took rowing a hell of a lot more seriously than these kids. My whole team did. I just thought that the sport, and the teamwork involved, could have been tied into the theme a bit better. Had a positive ending, and is an overall good film.
August 24, 2007
Surprisingly beautiful and insightful. A very nicely made film with very good performances from its young actors.
½ November 30, 2014
A good coming of age story.I certainly enjoyed watching it.
May 31, 2014
Just kind of average.
½ March 14, 2014
Overall thought it was a nice coming-of-age movie !
November 5, 2013
call,09998658971 jnujnu gozales hi your ok
January 17, 2013
Slightly better than a long episode of Degrassi, this film is a more daring version of the "I'm in love with my best friend" love stories.