—— Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Marie Antoinette Reviews

Bob S

April 2, 2007
sofia coppola lyrical pink post-punk marzipan music-vid - eat it up, yum
Wildaly M

February 27, 2007
Dunst brings flair to her performance. Of course, the costumes and scenery are spectacular. The drama itself was a little lacking.
Daniel P

April 19, 2007
I upped my rating by a full star after giving this a second watch. By many standards, this is a decent movie: production design, unconventional story, anachronistically perfect soundtrack, beautiful shot composition, and some subtly excellent acting. But by another standard, it's on the long side for what it is, it doesn't really get interesting until the second hour and its ending is preceded by some leaden expositional scenes that remind us we're on the brink of the French Revolution. I also think buried in here is a valuable point about contemporary conceptions of status, celebrity, wealth and the like; Sofia Coppola doesn't seem to show much sympathy for the French royals, and in fact, she gives us the elegantly irreverent Dunst as the title character and shows a clear movement in the character from discomfort to full-blown disdain for the family she married into. On the whole, it's not quite sure what kind of film it's trying to be, though it's got plenty of strong moments and is exquisitely shot. I was wrong about it the first time through: it's not a bad movie, it's just a bad movie for Sofia Coppola. Her work is generally incredible, but I'd call this a bit of a misfire.
Thomas J

July 31, 2013
It was not as bad as I expected, but the soundtrack was awful!
Matthew Samuel M

July 9, 2013
Once again, another beautiful, haunting, mesmerizing film from director Sofia Coppola. Like all of her films, it is so easy to fall in love with Marie Antoinette. Coppola has the gift of capturing raw human emotions in the simplest and purest of ways. The film is a feast for the senses--the cinematography is wonderful, the costumes and scenery are splendid, and the music (a modern soundtrack) is a brilliant contrast to the setting of this period piece. Most remarkable--besides Coppola's consistent triumph in creating such wonderful atmospheres with her films--is Marie Antoinette's candid and exquisite application of modern teenage fantasies (romance, recklessness, parties) to this historic tale. Once again, Bravo Coppola! Why can't all filmmakers follow in her footsteps? Every shot is brilliant. Everything is simply beautiful.
Sophie B

October 23, 2011
The marketing of this film made me expect something much easier and fun than what I actually viewed which is such a shame. It's very long, very slow and very taxing on the viewers attention span.
Jason R

June 19, 2012
Perhaps I'm biased by the fact that I've always wanted to be the French dauphin, but I thought this was a very charming movie. I think Sofia gets a little carried away with herself, the movie was about 30 minutes too long, but in many ways she succeeds in bring a dull footnote of history textbooks to technicolor. Jason Schwartzman was excellent as Loius XVI, and I was psyched to see Tom Hardy get 5 minutes on the screen.

Overall, a pleasant atmospheric work. Emphasis on the word "pleasant" -- nothing to write home about.
Kase V

June 1, 2012
Although it may be surprising, i found 'Marie Antoinette' to be one of Sofia Coppola's most entertaining films, if not her most. The soundtrack was edgy and cool and the cinematography was as beautiful as always. The problem with Coppola's film are perhaps the subject of style over substance. Everything is beautifully shot, but parts of the movie drag on uninterestingly. That being said, 'Marie Antoinette' is still a film many can enjoy.
Apeneck F

April 23, 2008
For a costumer Coppola separates herself from the pack with, f'instance, rock music interludes (in the pre-Revolutionary French court ... !!! ... "shocking!"), and unusual glimpses into the beyond decadent lives of the rich and famous (which Sofia herself might be well versed in) but she is an unseasoned writer and only there does this gorgeous, beautifully shot work falter. Worth a look, an artist in the making.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 26, 2009
Cast: Kirsten Dunst, Jason Schwartzman, Judy Davis, Rip Torn, Asia Argento, Marianne Faithfull, Aurore Clément, Molly Shannon, Steve Coogan, Shirley Henderson, Jean-Christophe Bouvet, Guillaume Gallienne, Clémentine Poidatz, Rose Byrne

Director: Sofia Coppola

Summary: Sofia Coppola directs a stylized portrait of Marie Antoinette (Kirsten Dunst), the naive Austrian princess who married Louis XVI (Jason Schwartzman) to become queen of France at age 19. The film explores the effects of a luxurious yet terribly confining lifestyle on the young queen.

My Thoughts: "Marie Antoinette is a perfect example of being a young girl with loads of money and nothing but time on her hands. In which the inevitable is bound to happen. Girl gets bored and parties and spends and spends. Which in this case, along with her husbands bad business choices, led to the Queens downfall. The movie is beautifully made and is quite beautiful on it's own with it's many fabulous costumes and the great scenery. The acting is quite good as well. I really liked the unique style they put on this period piece by not using the typical music of that time. The only thing that wasn't up to par with this film was the dialogue. It fell flat in some parts. It was also slow at times with unnecessary shots that lasted much longer then needed. There was too much time spent on the scenery when it should have been spent on the story."
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 24, 2011
Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette is really something unique to see. I thought it was a very good take on the usual historical content, and it has many original elements to this film that some would find out of place. But as for me, I thought those elements were quite interesting. The use of rock music for the soundtrack made it intriguing. This was terrific, a well acted movie with a great cast and good story. The film is a bit weird because of the modern music playing, but once you realize how it fits with the context of the film, you realize even more that the film stands out above every other films of this stature because of it. This is a phenomenal film that has a well plotted story. The performances are wonderful and Kirsten Dunst is wonderful as Marie Antoinette. The film is an incredible drama film that will most likely appeal to fans of period pieces. This film shouldn't be dismissed because of the use of rock music; in fact I loved the use of it. That's why the film is so different from other period pieces. This is a well crafted film with wonderful performances, a good story and great directing. As far as period pieces are concerned, Marie Antoinette is a bold new addition to the genre, one that is different, but works very well because of its engaging story. This is a film that you shouldn't miss out on. A wonderful period piece that delivers something refreshing to a viewer. As a film fan that enjoys films such as Elizabeth, Barry Lyndon and The Count of Monte Cristo; I thought that this film was brilliant, almost perfect, and very entertaining despite the fact that it's slow.
Matthew S

August 30, 2011
If you don't know the heavy life of 14 years young Marie Antoinette, you will probably not be able to appreciate this impressionistic movie of her life as she might have perceived it. I recommend first netflixing PBS's outstanding documentary to get the best experience you can.
Michael S

March 1, 2007
On one hand you have a beautiful looking film (great costumes, sets), a stellar lead performance from Dunst, and a pretty awesome soundtrack... On the other you have a film that is overlong, sluggishly paces, and just utterly dry (almost boring) in spots. Though I can't wholeheartedly recommend it as a whole, I'd still recommend it on the strength of it's technical merits. Just be prepared for a deeply flawed and polarizing experience.
Spencer S

December 13, 2009
Not quite the historical dramedy one would hope, the film brings Marie's real life excess to its production value, forgetting plot along the way, or timing. Mostly a mishmash of gossip and heresay, the film is hinged on Dunst, who would be better suited whipping around with Spiderman than taking on a royal monarch.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 21, 2007
Set in beautiful Versailles in 18th century, Kirsten gives a good performance as the teenage Queen of France. Her self-indulgence - parties, cakes and clothes is just typical of the French court, but she is blamed for the state of the economy and somehow the peasants revolt and overthrow the monarchy. I think that she got bad press. I felt the writing was poor and needed more explanation e.g. why was the King not interested in his Queen? Why did the peasants blame her and not the King or the court? I also thought the last scene was pointless, it didn't explain what happened to the Royal family. If you like pink, cakes and airy fairy pretty stuff, this movie is pleasing to the eye, but if you are looking for a history lesson go to the library.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
This film redeemed Sofia Coppola for me. It might have been kinda slow paced, but the visual was just so pretty, I couldn't care. It never gets too dark or gritty, but the simple lightly color of the film blends with the French Rococo art.
Conner R

January 22, 2010
A period piece like no other. This is a different movie than I think anyone was expecting, mainly because it's just too much fun to be a biopic. It really isn't a biopic though at all, it's a lot more about the time and social changes while also being an incredibly dark comedy. I think Sofia Coppola really decided to make a film that keeps the viewer visually surprised. Everything looks beautiful and choreographed to be the way it is. Blended with a modern yet appropriate soundtrack and you get one incredible movie.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 19, 2009
At 15 she became a bride. At 19 she became a queen. By 20 she was a legend.
Anthony L

August 27, 2009
Fantastic Biopic that doesn't bog itself down with the usual biopic cliches. A really refreshing and visually stunning film that really captures parts of history often skipped over in schools (and its the only film of its kind that I will say that it doesn't matter too much that its not 100% historically accurate). I get annoyed when people complain about Sofia Coppola's dialogue, or lack of, in her films. Its called realism! I personally can't wait for her next film!
A Truly Twyzted Kytten
August 23, 2009
Okay, so the story was shallow and in some areas undeveloped-who cares? The thing about Marie Antoinette in history is that her story is deeply depressing. Do you blame Copolla for trying to lighten the mood? Here, Marie is depicted as a young woman, naive and torn away from her beloved homeland to marry a man she hardly knows.
In response to the lack of control in her life's direction, Marie settles for opulent clothing and grandiose living arangements. She lives only for the sake of pleasing herself-or seems to. Deep down, Marie shows a great deal of heart and seems saddened by her failure to sexually interest her husband. Finally producing an heir, Her life seems to be just taking a turn for the better when the french revolution comes to a head.
The visuals were stunning of course, the story was slightly adolescent but more than tolerable, and the characters were mildly one-dimensional. The mood, however was perfect and unexpectedly light. This may have been a depiction of a tragedy but it left me surprisingly satisfied.
Not great, But far from horrible. I will be buying this, though i may only watch it a couple times more.