63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Dark Reviews

ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

January 7, 2013
Very nice and suspenful. Just my Piece of Cake.
Anthony L

October 1, 2009
Bit of a rip off really. A Welsh version of the Ring/ Dark Water. That said, the visuals and Maria Bello make it worth a watch. The child is annoying and quite frankly this has got to be Sean Bean's easiest job ever! Nothing special.
garyX
garyX

June 16, 2007
A mysterious young girl who supposedly died 50 years previously appears at the same time another is feared drowned and her mother is convinced she is somehow responsible. I had never heard of this film before, and with stars Maria Bello and Sean Bean who, without wishing to appear unkind, are firmly rooted in the B-list, I wasn't expecting much. But I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. The Welsh setting and story based in local folklore reminded me very much of the old Hammer horrors of their heyday, which is married with stylish visuals obviously influenced by J horror. The result is a very M. Night Shyamalan type affair but it's actually done pretty well. I thought the twist ending was guilty of being a little too try hard but it didn't offend me and it's rather better than the similar The Orphanage, and a hell of a lot better than the shockingly over-rated The Others. And it's certainly a lot more atmospheric and original than 99% of other contemporary horror films. Not bad at all.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

November 14, 2007
Not a Bad Film by far, I have seen a lot worst, Ending a little strange, I wouldn't pay a large sum of Money to see this movie, Netflix or a Pawn Shop, Found mine for $2.00 and will addit to my collection.
Dr Blood

July 3, 2007
The biggest problem with this film was that it was very dark. It wasn't overly scary or dark in subject matter considering it was set half in the world of Welsh mythology and ghosties but it was filmed very darkly so it was hard to make a lot of it out. A second problem is that it's more than a bit slow and turgid. Although a couple of attempts are made at scary scenes, they just don't amount to anything.
Luke B

June 4, 2007
A chilling little horror film that contains shades of such classics as The Wicker Man, Don't Look Now, The Changeling etc. The film has a lot of emotion which helps to up the scre factor as well as making the audience more involved. The use of Welsh mythology is also a nice touch. Bean and Bello are brilliant and although similar to, this is vastly superior to the trash that was Silent Hill. The ending seems a bit too concerned with attempting to confuse the audience and some quick flashes seem to be there for cheap jumps. Overall this is an unsettling and beautifully shot horror. Perhaps it helped that I spend a lot of time in Wales in a cottage surrounded by Sheep, which of course made it more terrifying.
Dean !

March 30, 2007
An ok horror , a bit creepy but not scary or gory at all. Similar to the Ring in some ways.
Kylie B

March 27, 2007
Interesting ideas but stale.
shauna1354
shauna1354

February 3, 2007
I guess I kind of like this sort of thing horror and the supernatural etc. It was an okay storyline sacrificing one of the living for one of the dead. But after a while I wanted the film to hurry up and finish. It isn't one of the best horror movies at all. But Sean Bean does the best he could.
Leanna E

October 25, 2008
Wonderfully atmospheric and eerie, this horror started off promisingly before it started to drag a bit. While the story offers nothing new or groundbreaking, it kept me watching. And while the 'scary little girl' in horror movies is far too common place these days, that particular effect still seems to give me the chills every time.

The back story, which is rooted in Welsh mythology is interesting at first, but definitely starts to lose its appeal over time. By the time the movie wound to a close, I was pretty much done with it, although I still enjoyed the twist at the end.

Even though I rate this pretty much average, I still enjoyed it far more than some other critically acclaimed horrors that I've seen recently.
Matthew A

June 9, 2008
Very mysterious and confusing movie with a storyline that will keep you interested for more.
Perhaps not very original, but still very interesting throughout with some good acting and a pretty dark ending.
Chosen 7

February 11, 2008
Good film, great ghost story. Wicked ending.
DrLappos
DrLappos

August 27, 2007
Great film with superb twists. Very atmospheric.
Adam M

July 18, 2007
Creepy psychological horror about a mother who loses her little girl to "the dark",some kinda limbo type place,when they visit the father who lives in a farmhouse by the sea.This is quite a gripping film with a few jumpy bits.Its also an interesting story with a decent,if pretty sad,ending.
Chris M

July 8, 2007
This movie is not one i thought to be as good as it was. They made good work of horror in this movie.
September 15, 2006
decent film, the ending was rather predictable (both of the endings) and I was not fond of the one they picked to actually use for the film. though reminiscent of dark water, I prefer the alternate ending to the one actually chosen to use in the film.
ladollyvitaxo
October 19, 2009
I assume anybody who gave this 2+ stars hasn't seen the other movies in this specific genre. (Ie The Ring, Dark Water, The Grudge, The 6th Sense etc.) I can appreciate that it made an attempt to be scary, but it didn't make an attempt to be different.
MichelleasaurusRex
May 4, 2008
Good movie. Looked so funny seeing people just walking off the cliff. The ending was cool too. It was surprising.
THEHUMANCONDITION
March 2, 2008
An interesting plot and an amazing location. It actually gave me a lot of ideas to write about. Thumbs up on all the freaky sheep stuff.
December 10, 2007
A somewhat predictable mixture of several other genre films, notably Silent Hill, The Ring and Pet Sematary, I was still fairly engrossed with the goings on, just don't expect anything new and exciting.

A decent little ghost story, you'll just feel as though you've been inthis house before.

Rental.