—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

Leigh R

August 25, 2006
Crazy ride.

December 20, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]"Free Zone" starts with American tourist Rebecca(Natalie Portman) hysterically crying in the backseat of a taxi in Jerusalem. The driver, Hanna(Hanna Laslo), wants to know where she wants to go because she has an appointment in Jordan. Rebecca figures that is as good as anyplace...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Director Amos Gitai takes a page out of Abbas Kiarostami's book by setting almost all of "Free Zone" in a taxi(accompanied by some distracting flashbacks. Well, as long as it gets Carmen Maura in the film...) as it travels through Israel and Jordan. Gitai has even less to say than his Iranian counterpart and the movie does not get anywhere interesting until the end. It is a shame because the movie wastes a valuable opportunity to view the Middle East conflict in microcosm.(It is rather obvious that Rebecca is a representative for all Americans who can leave the region any time they want.) But there are some good thoughts on identity, here. [/font]
September 30, 2012
well the first 10 minutes were completely insane, the rest of the movie was extremely slow, dull and boring... perhaps it would of been better if it was a palestinian suicide bomber they met at the free zone.. . it would of perhaps made the movie a little shorter. This is one of the worst foreign movies i've seen. Even a great actress like natalie portman couldn't save it from its doom.
xanderearl
September 23, 2006
Natalie's my girl, but I couldn't do much with this film. I should have known when the film opened with 9 minutes of a close up on Natalie crying, and never really explained why.
March 4, 2008
A movie that surprised me...with a WTF! Strong opening with Natalie Portman sitting in the cab. It had a focus, but the plot just dragged along left me with confusion and disappointment. It was very cool to see the two sides of Israel and to see Natalie's great performance though.
harrypotter2011
April 5, 2006
This one sounds interesting. Don't know if I would pay money to see it in the movie theater, I might just rent it.
January 12, 2013
no plot, terrible film
May 21, 2011
Awful, pointless movie.
January 12, 2011
Whoever thought that Natalie could cry for seven minutes at the beginning and you wouldn't just turn off your tv?
Steven B.
June 13, 2010
Ill start of by saying that Natalie Portman is by far my favorite actress, adn every other film she made I at least got some enjoyment out of. But not this one. This movie has so much "artistic, stylized" directing and symbolism in it that to tell you the truth I couldnt even really tell you what the hell this movie is really about. I mean for gods sake the movie starts out with an 8 minute clip of Natalie Portman's face crying. I was so ready for this movie to be over from that point on. A major bore

December 20, 2007
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
Virus
June 1, 2007
The only reason I rented this was because Portman was in it. It's well acted, but amatearish and to simple to a fault.
hatingvindiesel
June 1, 2006
Although sometimes it's a bit boring, it's an interesting film.