• R, 1 hr. 45 min.

The Big White Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 24, 2009
Its a weirdly good film with funny and unbelievable bits i think its sort of dark humour but its weird and heart warming as its gives erfect reasons for why robin williams did wat he did with twist unvieling at every moment so worth a watch
Jose Z

June 20, 2007
A very good movie, a black comedy you really can enjoy. I follows the same formula of the Cohen brothers film Fargo, but not with the same impact. Maybe the story and the plot aren't fully developed and has some holes on them, but all that is very well balanced with a great direction from Mark Mylod, the excellent photography and great landscapes and the wonderful cast in it. Robiln Williams is great as always, he is always reinventing himself in every new movie he make, Giovanni Ribisi's performance is also excellent, he is a young actor but is proving that he can manage difficult roles like this one, Woody Harrelson participation is kinda brief but its performance is very convincing, but the one that steals all the movie with its exceptional performance is Holly Hunter who is really hilarious, never believed that she could handle comedy in that way. Definitely a must see movie.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

August 29, 2006
lol really funny! his wife is really funny
Jeffrey M

June 27, 2012
The Big White can be rightly thought of as a poor man's Fargo, a clever black comedy that doubles as a character study. It doesn't have the same witty dialogue or sense of depth as Fargo, or the laughs of other black comedies like Bad Santa, but The Big White is held up by strong performances by Robin Williams, Giovanni Ribisi, and Woody Harrelson. The cinematography is done very well, giving the film a very authentic, small town feel set against such a barren landscape. The script is also fairly strong, with some genuinely interesting plot twists. Quirky, passably witty, and unique, it's an effective dark comedy with a Cohen brothers-esque feel.

3.5/5 Stars
FanGirl
FanGirl

March 26, 2007
An usual little gem.
Jay R

July 10, 2006
Hilarious dark Comedy with some fantastic dramatic moments... Robin Williams, Holly Hunter, Giovanni Ribsi and Woody Harrelson all do amazing jobs in there respective parts... great comedy and drama from this movie, I really liked it...
January 7, 2013
One of those rare black comedy indy gems that go unnoticed. Although 'The Big White' tries to be like 'Fargo' way too much, it's still a film of its own. And besides, 'Fargo' is far more polished & better written anyways. Performances top to bottom are outstanding, especially Holly Hunter & Giovanni Ribisi who both could've easily gotten Oscar nominations. I really enjoyed this movie.
February 1, 2012
I liked this. I didn't know it was an alaskan movie until I started watching but that really didn't make a differance to me. Holly hunter was histarical in this, and the story was good. Worthy entertainment.
April 28, 2010
The Big White was a big mistake.
So it isn't one of Robin Williams best work, although I can say that Holly Hunter was the funniest of them all.
It was a bit of a weak plot and was very slow moving.
I just wish Robin comes up with something great soon, because as of right now his work is turning into shit (and that hurts me to say that of one of my all time favorite comics).
So if I were you, I would miss this movie out!
laurafreeit
December 14, 2008
I recommend it. I think it has a great humor and the I love Holly Hunter and Robin Williams. I think the actors did a great performance and the plot is interesting and catching. The whole environment is pretty amazing since is shot in Alaska. Definitely worth seeing it.
heavyd2000
November 25, 2008
This movie is verry funny and verry underrated. It's Dark. It's a Dark comedy. If your a fan of coen brother type of comedy's you should deff. give this a look. I going to sin here and say I enjoyed this more than Fargo.
gemmigina4
September 21, 2007
A fantastic black comedy with hilarious performances by Robin Williams, Holly Hunter and Giovanni Ribisi, while also a pretty good thriller that does a good job at giving each character substance and making them relatable.
July 11, 2007
This movie kind of wishes it was Fargo with the exception of its central theme or message. While Fargo was excellently made, it lacked anything applicable or important in what it said. The Big White is similarly done and uses much of the same imagery (and almost the same plot), but has much more emotional depth and is a valuable commentary on love within relationships, and other stuff too. Robin Williams, Holly Hunter, Giovanni Ribisi, Alison Lohman, and Woody Harrelson all do an awesome job. Its only major flaw is the over goofiness of the "bad guys". You should watch it.
gms1yygy
June 8, 2007
Filled with some very strange characters, this movie is a good one with almost everyone making it happily to the end, except poor Woody Harrelson.
May 30, 2007
Pull together a kick ass cast...a somewhat quirky, off-the-wall tale, a less than traditional location, and you've got guaranteed success, right? Um...well...success might not be the right word. The cast is what you'd expect...Holly Hunter gets another charmingly bizarre character (and, is it my imagination or is the woman aging in reverse?)...Robin Williams doesn't have a lot to work with here considering what he's capable of...Giovanni and Woody pull their weight. But, overall, the movie just doesn't all come together...or, if it does, it doesn't stay together the entire film. There are some definite chuckles...but, this isn't Fargo...or Raising Arizona...or even close to the same league. Entertaining enough...but, don't lose any sleep if it's only showing on some obscure cable channel late into the night.
April 8, 2007
All Star Cast! Holly Hunter was hilarious in this movie. She plays a woman that has teret's syndrome. Anyway, that's not important. Robin Williams and Giovanni Ribisi are awesome going against each other. Definately a black comedy.
albertwesker1998
April 3, 2007
I thought this wasn't very funny, not his best. But I did like the story, not the best but still entertaining. One to see when there isn't anything better.
writerchick85
January 22, 2007
Oh God Giovanni Ribisi Get's a major kick in the balls in this movie and I mean I don't have balls and even I felt that.
This movie is funny but different. You have to broaden your mind a bit to kind of get the consept.
August 16, 2006
I like giovanni ribisi and his character in this film is perfectly suited for his acting style. There are alot of plot wholes but over all it is enjoyable, it is like a less good fargo.
August 3, 2006
Fargo revisited? You can easily see the similarity. Very dark comedy with Williams playing the straight man.