• R, 1 hr. 59 min.

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Coastlines Reviews

Cynthia S

July 5, 2012
What movie starring Josh Brolin, Timothy Olyphant, and Josh Lucas could be bad?? I'll tell you: this one. Slow. Boring. Pointless...I had a very hard time staying awake.

September 10, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Coastlines" starts with Sonny(Timothy Olyphant) returning home after spending three years in prison, being greeted by his old friend Dave(Josh Brolin) and his wife Ann(Sarah Wynter). Dave, a policeman, is worried that Sonny will fall back into a life of crime. And his concern is definitely warranted since Sonny pays a visit to Eddie Vance(Josh Lucas) and his uncle Fred(William Forsythe) to inquire about the money that is owed him. Despite Sonny's previous loyalty, the Vances fear trouble and contact a hitman...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Coastlines" is a disappointing movie from Victor Nunez whose two previous films, "Ruby in Paradise" and "Ulee's Gold," were well-acted, low-key and emotionally resonant depictions of small town Florida.(In fact, "Ulee's Gold" was my pick for best film of 1997.) This time around, he stumbles badly with cliches(starting with an ex-con returning home facing choices...), pedestrian directing, general lifelessness and an anti-climax. Just about when it looks like the story will pick up, it falls into a rut, never to escape. And it is always best to let things simmer, instead of relying on unnecessary explosions. Maybe it would have helped if Josh Lucas had been cast in the lead. I am not saying he is a great actor but at least he has a pulse and could have made Sonny at least a little interesting.[/font]
christiebrandt10
March 6, 2012
eh. i guess thats all I can really say. It was just a huge circle where the end really made no sense.
gregleetz
November 19, 2008
Brant from the Goonies (Josh Brolin) was pretty good in this movie. Timothy Olyphant has the same stupid stare he has in every movie. Sarah Wynter goes from super hot emotionally, back to cold, and once again back to hot for her husband which made that part of the film pretty unbelievable..... But the movie was still worth a look!
Hamee
December 10, 2007
I have seen this, but I don't remember much about it. Of course anything with Timothy Olyphant deserves at least two and a half stars.
November 28, 2007
daniel9x
July 10, 2007
It started out charming enough, but quickly began to exhibit fatal flaws and fizzled into something of a bore. Gets an extra half star for at least getting close to being "okay".
adarkkitten
adarkkitten

June 30, 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this film; however, I felt that it could have pushed the limits more. Both the sex and violence were fairly minimal. This movie had considerable emotional depth. The great thing about it was that the characters didn't talk about their feelings often. Yet, clearly, their expressions and behaviors revealed inner turmoil. Josh Brolin's character, Dave Lockhart, seemed a little too mellow. I didn't quite understand that inexplicable calmness. The others, however, were realistically human. Strong, at times; yet, weak at others. This was another amazing performance from Timothy Olyphant! Those eyes say so much!
lth
January 18, 2009
A well-acted, understated study of the fine line that is covered between loyalty and betrayal.

September 10, 2008