90% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Population 436 Reviews

familiar s

June 7, 2010
Somewhere between 5-6/10, this one's just about watchable. I was having a tough time when I went for it & thankfully this didn't add fuel to the fire. While it's not exactly the remake of "The Wicker Man," it surely resembles it by & large.
puffchunk
puffchunk

November 30, 2007
Just your typical small town cult movie, but it was entertaining enough.
Emily A

October 8, 2007
I went into this movie not expecting much, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The story has an interesting premise and it was followed-through-with very well throughout the movie. One of the things that it really does well is that creepy, collective delusion mentality that plays such a big role in Rosemary's Baby and The Wicker Man. I even liked Fred Durst's character, which surprised me as much as anyone. In fact, I found him even more sympathetic than the main character, who time and time again gives ol' Fred the shaft. I tell you, Mr. Durst really gets no respect whatsoever. Ennihoo, there are little touches in this movie that really caught my attention, the most notable of which is the way the townsfolk treat those of thier numbers that see and bristle at the cracks in their village's creepy facade. Indeed The Fever is a horrific malady. I'd say more, but I'm so afraid of ruining the movie.
Dr Blood

July 3, 2007
In a nutshell, this is a lot like Dean Koontz's "Black River" from five years ago. But a few added homages to the infamous Twilight Zone story "The Lottery" (based on the short story by Shirley Jackson), plus bits from "The Wicker Man" and "The Stepford Wives", all make this more of a mish-mash of better ideas than the story can really cope with. The detrimental effect is that more questions arise out of a simple plot than there needs to be and it just leaves too many holes.
Luke B

June 13, 2007
Why remake such classics such as The Wicker-Man when you can come up with similar films that are still original? Yes this film borrows from everywhere, that is where we are at with horror these days. However the idea is still quite original. It's never really scary, only freaky, pretty much like The Wicker Man. Good performances especially from a very surprising Fred Durst who displays a large range of emotions for a rather complex character. The film was a nice surprise overall and was mainly let down by a tedious piano/high pitched string score. Overused in horror since the lord knows when. I liked it, and that seems to be all I can say right now. It is interesting and much better than The Wicker-Man remake (which is one of the worst films ever). Want a bit of freaky secluded towns? Try this.
Roy G

December 29, 2006
This movie feels like it was made for television and while it is pretty much by-the-numbers, it's still worth a look if you're in the mood for a suspense-thriller which requires little thinking on your part.
Jacob P

September 26, 2011
A weak story with very poor acting and very slow-paced sequences. Skip it.
John2223
John2223

August 7, 2007
Decent straight to DVD movie with an interesting concept. Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit plays a secondary role in this one. He's acting is decent.
chadroesti
chadroesti

March 15, 2007
Fair movie, Kinda scary in parts. PISSED me off at the end.
June 14, 2012
pretty good movie, could have been alot more creepier and eerie though. the people seemed too normal. the only thing eerie about them was when they hung that woman
April 8, 2008
Another film given a re-watch from the To-Watch Pile:

Census taker finds himself trapped in a town where the population never changes for sinister reasons. Fred Durst is surprisingly decent as the sheriff's deputy, and if you've seen films like The Wicker Man before, you'll have a pretty good idea where this is going fairly quickly.

Give it a rental.
daviddiirocks
March 15, 2010
03/15/10 2006
I don't know where to begin with this movie, weird to say the least. I like that it is a bit Stephen King esque but this is odd even for him; sort of like Jeffrey Dahmer meets Pleasantville. I like that it shows the danger of cults because this is clearly not God that these people follow and shouldn't be confused as so. It is strange how they die when leaving but this just makes you wonder who their "god" really is.
Because of an awesome performance by Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst I gave this 3 instead of just 2 stars. Watch this at your own risk, but if you start it, you better finish it. haha
send2krishna
November 27, 2009
weird story about dumb beliefs in a village and the extent to which the villagers go to adhere to it, scary and outrageous at times
princessqtpl
February 24, 2008
Good original concept However, the movie falls short of its potential with its lack of good writing and under-developed characters.
August 11, 2008
this movie brings in a creepy setting some decent acting but overall the story is great are there places like this and is everbody brianed washed just watch it
elziard
August 4, 2008
derivative and low budget in production.
laughable at times in it's attempt at shock. sooo not good.
laney33
June 23, 2008
This is a story about a town which has had the same population for over 100 years. A census taker comes to investigate how this can be. He certainly finds out. The movie is a bit predictable in parts, but that was not detracting from the movie being interesting. I liked it. They say it's a horror or a drama movie, but really it's a suspense. It is very M. Night Shamalan-y.
xdrak
March 21, 2008
I loved this show and was surprised by FRED DURST acting ability. He comes off as cute and vulnerable. GO figure.
blizzpirate
blizzpirate

February 15, 2008
armybratgeo
January 24, 2008
I did like it. As someone mentioned it's a little like "The Village" and "Wicker Man". It was done pretty well, I was really surprised. I found this in the Horror section though, kinda wonder how it got there...