Vicki - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vicki Reviews

bbcfloridabound
May 23, 2013
Vicki" is the remake of "I wake up screaming" .

It's an excellent thriller,part whodunit and part film noir ;not only it features two fifties beauties,Jeanne Crain and Jean Peters ,but it also contains one of the most disturbing portrayal of a cop masterfully played by Richard Boone.

"Vicki" is wrapped in a deadly atmosphere where the keynote seems to be "mourning": the flowers in the cemetery or the altar complete with candles and photographs.

The cop's hatred knows no bounds .He cannot forgive Steve ("Pretty boy" ) for being a handsome man whereas himself can only dream of dating the stars (a two-bit star in this case for she was first a waitress in a cheap restaurant).Sometimes the viewer stops and wonders whether this detective is really on the "right" side or whether he gets on with a merciless revenge .Who killed Vicki in the end. 4 Stars 5-17-13
jjnxn
½ June 19, 2008
Mediocre remake of "I Wake Up Screaming". The original is superior in every way, stick with that.
April 2, 2010
A remake of I Wake Up Screaming, but since I barely remember that movie, we'll ignore that aspect of it. This movie has some okay noir elements, but would be pretty bland if not for one thing: Richard Boone's riveting performance as Cornell the crazy cop. It's a very odd take on the usual "intuitive cop who always gets his man" role. Another interesting bit of casting: Aaron Spelling in his first role. The rest of the cast is rather underwhelming, although serviceable. The story is decent as far as these things go... not too surprising, but not bad. Overall it's okay, but it really doesn't do much to establish any kind of mood. It kind of made me want to revisit the original, which has a better reputation and a better cast. Although by all accounts, this is nearly an exact remake, so it's odd that it didn't ring any bells. I guess neither one made much of an impression on me.
½ July 12, 2015
a very good 1950s film noir with a good cast of actors and actresses i enjoyed this movie.
bbcfloridabound
May 23, 2013
Vicki" is the remake of "I wake up screaming" .

April 2, 2013
3: Just as with Black Widow, which I watched earlier in the week, it is a pretty standard noir from the era, which means it is excellent. All about overwrought passions leading one down the path of darkness and destruction and common man detective that must discover the truth in order to save himself from the gallows.
½ March 27, 2011
Noir plots can bleed into each other so much that I would later see I Wake Up Screaming and not notice this was a flat-out remake.
April 2, 2010
½ March 25, 2010
Vicki is an okay film. The cast seems miscast and tried to do a decent job. The script was acceptable at best. I thought the good but not the greatest I have ever seen. I would not recommend this film.
½ September 22, 2009
This dramatic noir is a remake of I Wake Up Screaming. The original is far better, although there is something exceptional about how tangled and lost this version gets in the middle, so that the ending comes as a great relief.
jjnxn