Red Doors Reviews

hunterjt13
April 15, 2011
A comically suicidal father, a FOB-ie mother, and their three daughters, including an Asian punk, an advertising executive, and a lesbian doctor, try to find their place in American culture.
This film's strengths are its ability to present characters who are both flawed and genuinely good human beings. By the end of the film, I couldn't help but root for each of these people. Also, there are profoundly effective moments when we share in the joy and nostalgia that each of these characters feels for their old culture and lost youth. Backed against these dramatic moments are some very funny segments. The relatively violent flirtation between Katie and the boy at school provides some good comic relief, and for those of you who find a sick humor in ludicrously executed suicide attempts, Ed is your guy. Finally, I think there is the perfect balance between telling the story via dialogue and images.
Unfortunately, I can't say that the characters ever rise beyond types. Most of them fall into some Asian-American stereotype. Thus, the film, in its attempt to problematize the dominant view of the Asian-American experience, ultimately doesn't add enough complication or personalization.
Overall, Red Doors is a strong film, but it could have been so much more.
½ April 27, 2009
Slight, but decent. Not a terrible lot happens, and I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to see this, but there are worse uses of an hour and a half.
Harlequin68
½ October 4, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]In "Red Doors," Ed(Tzi Ma) has just retired and with little to do during the day, turns his mind to suicide but is consantly interrupted.(One of the universal truths is that there is never anything good on television during the day.) His eldest daughter, Sam(Jacqueline Kim), can sense something wrong and buys him three months worth of psychiatric visits for his birthday. She is also engaged to be married to Mark(Jayce Bartok), when an old flame, Alex(Rossif Sutherland), reenters her life. The middle daughter, Julie(Elaine Kao), works as an intern in a hospital in New York City where an actress, Mia Scarlett(Mia Riverton), is researching a role. The only possible underachiever in the family is Katie(Kathy Shao-Lin Lee), who attends high school where she pursues an unusual flirtation with Simon(Sebastian Stan).[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"Red Doors" is a gentle and winning but slightly predictable comedy of manners that is concerned with communication between loved ones, or lack therein of any. So, when we do not have the words to express how we feel, sometimes a gesture can accomplish the same thing, even if it may seem a little odd.[/font]
iLeo
December 29, 2007
Fantastic movie! Amazing story plot. Here's an interesting movie about a Chinese-American family that connect, and help each other, in the various day-to-day life, in both good and hard times. Great cast. Hilarious! A must-see!
March 19, 2010
What a great movie! Funny and endearing, with such a cute ending. I'm going to be such a sap here, but it was nice to see everyone get happy.
March 9, 2009
A quirky indie-style film. I thourghly enjoyed this interesting take on the american familial experience asian style!! Highly textured and interesting characters. All in all worth the watch.
March 12, 2007
For anyone wanting to learn the dynamics of Chinese and American cultures in America, this is a film that offers viewers unique viewing windows to see.
February 6, 2013
I'm not sure I'm able to accept the amount of indulgence this movie approves of which throws off the entire premise, but its a cheeky little film. The cinematography looks like that of a flim student. Every room is separated into threes by wallpaper/bookshelves/windows. I felt like I was being deliberately taught the rule of thirds all over again, but whatever. I still know Georgia Lee is a better director than I.
Harlequin68
½ October 4, 2007

½ January 30, 2007
Perceptively written and directed. The acting is uniformly excellent. The film is touching, funny and very moving. Highly entertaining. The rich, three dimentional characters are wonderfully well developed. A fine film.