• PG-13, 1 hr. 24 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Relative Strangers Reviews

Roy G

January 28, 2007
Relative Strangers one hell of a funny movie.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

May 22, 2011
Dr. Richard Clayton (Ron Livingston) seems to be living the perfect idyllic life. He is a successful psychologist-turned-writer and his latest book on anger management is doing well. In addition, he is engaged to a beautiful and sexy Ellen (Neve Campbell). But one day his disgruntled and jealous brother Mitch spills the family's dirty laundry that he, Richard, is the adopted sibling of the family. Richie's snobbish uptight parents who are prominent country club members (Edward Hermann and Christine Baranski) concede that it is true. Feeling betrayed Richard decides to track down his birth parents expecting to find upper class educated people to justify his talent and success.

At Ellen's urging, he hires a detective to find them. Soon after, Frank (Danny DeVito) and Agnes Menure ~it's French~ (Kathy Bates) from Pekin arrive on the good doc's doorstep and announce that they are his true father and mother. It is a shock, as the Menures are traveling carnival trailer park folks who are the complete opposite of his adoptive parents and brawling country hicks. They eat meat while Richard prefers wheat gluten. They curse and have loud sex in the room next door. The scene where he hides in a closet and is privy to DeVito and Bates having sex on a bed, brought tears to my eyes. They're not anything like he imagined. Can he learn to accept them for who they are and love them unconditionally?

Kathy Bates and Danny Devito are a riot playing off each other while Beverly D'Angelo is almost unrecognizable as his tacky future mother-in-law.
May 21, 2009
the sex scene was unnecessary. this movie was miserable to watch because i hate movies about bad thing after bad thing happening. the ending was extremely predictable as soon as they told him they weren't his parents. danny devito is miserable, though Campbell is absolutely lovely
itsmekat
August 24, 2008
I found this to be a laugh a minute, right down to the *smile* and good feeling it leaves you with. ALL STAR CAST to me as well!
kylomufachi
January 11, 2008
ehh, you think it would be better given the cast. but i think it is poorly scripted. and edited as well. it was ok to watch. but i wouldn't buy it.
October 6, 2007
Well, I HATE Danny DeVito but I LOVE Kathy Bates. The story was okay but very predictable. Nothing to crow about but a tolerable bit of fluff if you have an hour and a half to kill.

The other characters didn't really do anything outstanding. They weren't bad, just not enough story to really challenge them, I guess?

Not a real winner but it does have a happy ending so I gave it a solid three.
nativesunljt
July 1, 2007
Pretty funny and hard to watch much like "Meet the Parents" was hard to watch. I liked it flaws and all.
DownBoy
June 8, 2007
I just got done watching this film, I swear I have luaghd this hard in a long time. The cast is phenominal!
gms1yygy
May 2, 2007
Yes, it's another "meet the parents" movie - with a twist or two. I get confused when people dislike a movie because it doesn't "surprise" them. I sat happily through nine hours of Lord of the Rings knowing all the time that the ring would go in the pit. This movie may be "like" other movies in some ways (very strange parents - both sets- and happy ending), but in other ways it's unique. And I really enjoyed it!
LuvAddict
April 29, 2007
This was an ok movie it was funny at some points. I have How the hell are ya? stuck in my head from watching this.
myangels
April 21, 2007
A lighthearted movie good for a dreary rainy day. Some very funny moments. Don't judge a book by the cover is a lesson the lead character learned during this movie. Danny DeVito and Kathy Bates play great characters and were very funny. The movie was sometimes funny, often easily predictable, and sometimes darn right silly, but I got through it.
April 4, 2007
I caught this on Comedy Central, and it's not that bad. There are some laughs to be had. It's pretty forgettable, but I liked the premise, and I enjoy Ron Livingston in anything he is in (doesn't do too much, other than commercials, nowadays). If you get the chance, it's interesting.
March 22, 2007
This was actually a pretty hilarious movie with DeVito and Kathy Bates providing a lot of the funny jokes! The ending was quite predictable yet heart-warming and sweet. I highly recommend this film as there's a good lesson to be learned from it!
February 28, 2007
This movie was a very hum-drum boring trying to be a copy cat of "Meet the Parents". Although it had some excellent people in it like "Kathy Bates" and Danny DeVito" they still did'n't make this film any more wonderful to watch.
burnthesun
February 23, 2007
This movie was definately not what I expected. I'm a fan of Danny DeVito and Ron Livingston, but the writing wasnt very good at all. DeVito and Kathy Bates Characters werent convincing and fell more under the high school play version of obnoxious southerners.
MsPoison
January 31, 2007
Pretty funny....Bates & DeVito are a hilarious team. If you are looking for a laid back comedy without thinking...give it a watch!
FilmGrinder S.
January 16, 2011
71%

Despite DeVito and Bates excellent preformances, as well as the rest of the cast, it just wasn't funny.
theo_lives
May 6, 2007
A predictable, somewhat heartwarming film that throws in a few laughs along the way. Acting was good, but the script needed a bit of work, all in all, a decent movie.
jazza923
January 18, 2007
I like Kathy Bates in anything, and I enjoyed her in this. She lifted the film up to above average. The story is predictable but is well meaning and has a good moral. It's not too deep but harmlessly enjoyable.