Dark Ride

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Dark Ride Reviews

Coxxie M

August 8, 2009
"This is MY fault, don't you get it? I brought us here! i have to find the others. go get help!"
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

January 21, 2009
While I LOVE the idea of "Eight Films To Die For" projects...I have yet to see ONE that was truly original, groundbreaking or anything more then slightly creepy.

I had high hopes for this one as I've always found carnivals inherently creepy, funhouse's and "dark rides' almost as much as the people who usually run them. And this film also had Jamie-Lynn DiScala going for it.

But alas (aside from a few creepy ride props) there was nothing new or remotely interesting about the story or the way in which it was told.
Lewis C

September 3, 2008
Boring. A chore to watch and a plot that's thin by even horror movie standards.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 27, 2007
One of the Better if not my favorite 8 Films to Die for series. But for some reason the plot seems familer as if someone else has done it, but I love Parks with rides so this one I enjoyed, so will you. A Buyer
Leigh R

August 28, 2007
It was alright.
Lafe F

August 3, 2007
Decent fright flick inside an amusement park haunted ride. The opening scene with the two little girls was sweet.
Luke B

June 14, 2007
A pretty bad slasher flick. Sets up all those awkward relationships you can't seem to avoid on teenage roadtrips. The killing doesn't really start until about an hour in and there are some incredibly stupid characters such as the guys in the mental hospital who don't run away when a conicted insane killer starts to tear off his straight jacket. For about twenty minutes it's alright but then pisses us off by adding a ridiculous twist ending. Certainly not the new Halloween or Friday the 13th.
Beefy
Beefy

April 8, 2007
More than a little unoriginal, but knows all the right genre beats to keep the viewer going.
Max G

September 3, 2011
(facepalm) Another typical slasher film with nothing new to offer. The setting was at first seemingly ideal for a slasher, but it isn't scary, brutal, or well acted enough. Too much bore, not enough gore. What the hell is Patrick Renna doing in this garbage anyway?
Laurence C

April 4, 2009
A sucky, monstrously uninspired piece of slasher crap that tries to build a certain mythology but ends up really, REALLY stupid, even by the standards of its genre. Not fun, really embarassingly acted, certainly not scary and full of crappy little directorial tricks that are good for the garbage can, Dark Ride is among the worst horror specimens Horrorfest could manage to pick up.
Patrick D

January 21, 2008
The carnivals or fairs in the area where I grew up were The Ex, The Gloucester Fair, The Perth Fair, and Barrhaven Days. The last one is now just a couple rides in a grocery store parking lot, and the one in Perth is too small and far to have much, beyond a farm animal attraction, a rocket ship ride and a jelly-off. But the Gloucester Fair and the Ex were big enough to have these scare ride. They were carts on tracks that go through a haunted house area, you see horrific scenes done by pivoting painted metal and plaster character as a loud noise goes off and you go on to crash through another door.
As stupid as these rides sound, they scared the SHIT out of me as a child. I distinctly remember fearing for my life when I was on one that ended with an actual person dressed up in zombie attire following the cart. I was young enough to vow never to go on one of those rides again and old enough to be left at home and not need to be put in a situation where I would have to be put in a situation where I would have to go on one of those rides.
What's funny is after that I don't remember going to many carnivals or fairs.
As I grew older I got more and more interested in scare and horror, and becoming more and more desensitized (sp?) I would long for the time I could get a thrill over something simple and stupid as that. So needed to say these "Dark Rides" although an obvious place to have something scary happen, have always been a source of intrigue for me, as well as fairs and carnivals in general, relating to other childhood fears and traumas that would take longer still to explain.
Needless to, or maybe quite needful, I was predisposed to liking this film, for better or worse it would feature one of these horror rides and "fondly" remembered. Added to that, I like slasher films, I make no apologies, there are so much going on in films of these ilk obviously and unobviously to just delve right in.
This film is a slasher and being so pulls out all the traditions and conventions a slasher has. It actually seemed quite classic, it made me think of those older ones that would take place on a campsite, and would set the standards for slasher, those would include but not be limited to the likes of The Burning, Sleepaway Camp, and the first 3 Friday the 13ths. It even had a similar location to Tobe Hooper's Funhouse. In reading all this you can assume that is was not original. It wasn't. You've seen it before, many times. But where in lies the reason to see it is that, if you have "seen it a hundred times" most of those times probably haven't been as well done as this time and you are probably quite fond of the genre having watched so many films.
So in conclusion, if you like slashers watch it. It's a good one. If you are not a fan of slashers fun still enjoy them, watch it, it's still a good movie and you probably haven't seen enough to be able to pick out all the conventions and cliches.
nickymo89
nickymo89

June 2, 2007
Easy to figure out and a laugh of a killer. My least favorite of the 8 Films to Die For.
poohtiger
poohtiger

May 15, 2007
One of the 8 movies to die for Horrorfest that came out late last year is pretty weak. Some college kids on spring break stop at a famous amusement park called Dark Ride, which was shut down years ago when a pyscho killed several people. You can pretty much guess what will happen next. There is one gruesome scene that was very cool involving a flashlight, a fist, and a stomach. That's all I'm gonna say about that. This movie did have potential but it just wastes it. And the acting was horrible save for Andrea Bogart who plays a fun loving hitch-hiker the gang picks up. She is funny and sexy. And Jamie-Lynn Sigler of The Sopranos is just awful. Her performance had me shaking my head in disbelief. Wait for cable for this one.
Christopher B

May 11, 2007
Gory slasher film that doesn't make a lick of sense if you actually think about it. As long as you leave your brain in the off position, this is pretty easy to enjoy. And boy, can that Meadow ever not act.
PC79
PC79

April 2, 2007
The twist. Excellent, I was sitting on the edge of my seat during the whole movie. Wanting to know what exactly was going on. Cussing at the strength and ability.
February 1, 2012
At first I was just expecting just another slasher and then there was that last little detail I didn't see coming. Made me jump once. Nicely done.
May 18, 2010
I never reviewed Dark Ride? How irresponsible of me!

Well, it's your basic generic horror movie. Killings from the past have become a bit of a legend, killer roams free, stupid kids (mole amongst them of course) show up at an abandoned carnival ride...stupid kids die. Hilarity and ill-advised sexual conquests ensue.
October 9, 2009
I watched this for two reason. 1) Jamie-Lynn Sigler and 2) it's an After Dark Horrorfest film. Too bad that's all it had going for it. In no way is this creative or scary. Filled with cheap scares that don't deliver. A villain that lacks any creepiness and kills that are lackluster at best.
August 10, 2009
One of the original 8 films to die for, (the entire collection is amazing), has enough gore to make you sick. Add an old, shutdown carnival with a Jason Voorhees like killer and you have one really DARK RIDE. 1 - 10 i give it an 8
January 21, 2007
missed the very beginning coming in just as they get to the amusement park, but overall I found it a pretty good flick with a bit of good suspense