First Born Reviews

½ February 17, 2008
Plot element. Plot element. Rosemary's Baby ripoff. Plot element. Rosemary's Baby ripoff. Botched hair dye job acting as a conduit for horror. Rosemary's Baby ripoff. Getting locked out of places. Predictable twist ending. Movie over!

I bought this for two dollars just so I could have an excuse to say "stay away from the baby" to my friends over and over again. That ended up being a better investment than the actual movie. Elisabeth Shue, you got nominated for an Oscar. Where is your career?
September 27, 2011
Elizabeth Shue does a great job portraying Laura, a gorgeous, bright dancer who gets pregnant and moves into a country home for peace and safety with her husband, a busy attorney from NYC (Steven Mackintosh) who goes right back to work in the city, leaving her alone for long periods of time. Laura begins to imagine things and things take a turn for the worse especially when her pet dog is accidentally poisoned after eating rat poison that she planted in her house. Laura's deep guilt over her dog`s death leads to her feeling that she won't be a good and caring mother to her soon to be born child.

Her hallucinations and the way her mind goes downhill is believable and the viewer is left questioning whether these creepy things are the subconscious manifestations of Laura's unwillingness to be a mother or if there is something really sinister going on beyond her control. The ending was a twist that was somewhat expected, but still a bit of a shock so if you enjoy a psychological thriller then look no further.
October 18, 2007
A creepy, scary, suggestive film.
The opening title sequence sets the mood for this little drama. Elisabeth Shue is great in the leading role as a first time reluctant mother. This is her best work since Leaving Las Vegas.
½ October 16, 2008
A disturbing walk through an insane Mother's mind. I followed well enough and guessed ahead quite a bit,so I did make it through. 30 minutes I became uninterested,and disinterested at the ending.
½ May 27, 2008
this movie is worth watching once. part of it is slow, part of it is interesting. i wish it would have went into greater details on some stuff. the story line had good potential but wasn't well executed.
December 17, 2007
Excellent movie! I have never seen anything like this before. It still gives me chills every time I watch it.
½ December 14, 2007
No No No.WTF? Did I really just waste almost 2 hours with this.CRAP! I could have watched a real movie! My advice dont bother unless you are just SOOOOO bored you have nothing else on the shelf,then you could always watch my 2nd fav worst movie at least Jeepers Crappers was better than this,Dreadful.
November 3, 2007
Having suffered from postpartum depression myself, this movie was a chilling reminder of how bad it could have actually gotten. It actually scared me.
½ September 10, 2007
we see a new mother and her inability to take care of herself and her child due to irresponsibility and carelessness. there is finally a scene at the end where they try to make this into a thriller but for over an hour its just this lady who locks herself out of her house over and over but wont break back in because the windows are too expensive or something. also, its another movie where the people are so rich that its impossible to care at all what happens to them. the only exception is pitying the over-worked man who didnt realize in time that his love was utterly retarded.
½ July 7, 2007
Definitely one of the worst movies I've sat through. Not the horror I was hopin for, also not exciting at all.
½ April 6, 2007
keeps you interested through-out the entire movie, but kinda leaves you lost with still not understanding anything,except that she is crazy.
April 3, 2007
Some how I think I may have seen this.. I might be confusing it with a different movie though............................
½ March 30, 2007
this movie is a must for all women. this chic is nuts!! she suffers from postpartum depression after pregnancy and ends up killing her baby from insanity to protect it. it will mess with your head. killer line, hubby asks, "honey, wheres the baby? and she says "what baby?" its creepy....
March 29, 2007
it wuz aiight but it wuz hella confusin when tha lady forgot she had a baby after she bury tha lil baby doll
March 12, 2007
Starts off okay, then gets you lost along the way and gives you a HORRIBLE ending!! So disappointing.
March 31, 2007
Mystery drama movie about a woman that having a child for her first time. She and her husband move to a new place and she get some strange visions / see things happen etc. Fair movie..
½ July 29, 2014
My Rating: 2.5/5 stars; Grade: C+; Gesture: Thumbs Sideways; Status: Mediocre or So-So (Rotten); Emoticon: :-|.
½ January 3, 2013
Having missed the very beginning (that probably was a good thing) this movie left me shaking my head over and over throughout. Who's diary was she reading? What was it that the babysitter left tied under the crib? What was the meaning of the doll that kept popping up all over? WHAT was with the exterminator doing ballet in the basement all about? I was hoping for some kind of redemption at the end....a meaningful reason to say, "OHH! Now I get it!" So, if you watch this movie and wait for isn't going to happen. I was left with NO redemption and a sore neck. The only good thing was Elizabeth's performance, she did a pretty good job acting wacko.
December 16, 2012
I'm half way through this movie and NOTHING has happened yet. I'm so bored. Time to change the channel.
August 22, 2012
The First Born was a Non-Hollywood formulated film, that prided itself on not being another clique'. However it's slow paced story was like watching fries cook in the oven, nothing much to see except Shue Character slowly expose her insanity to the world.
If you've lived through or like 80's movies you'll know Elisabeth Shue from The Adventures of Babysitting. Since then she's taken to the back bunner with Mildly successful films and occational guest appearances on TV.