• PG-13, 1 hr. 52 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Definitely, Maybe Reviews

John M

March 2, 2008
Ryan Reynolds and Abigal Breslin shine in this beautiful movie that in the end had me in tears. Isla Fisher as April is also wonderful in this. Just a great movie.
Anthony L

October 11, 2012
I hate the way Ryan Reynolds talks to his daughter Abigail Breslin in this film. People who talk to their kids like this are hateful and that's pretty much how I feel about all the characters Ryan Reynolds plays. Most of the characters are likable, particularly Kevin Kline's but Ryan Reynolds is so vacuous that I felt myself hoping that the film would have an unhappy ending for him. It's fairly horrible and is best avoided.
Dean !

February 17, 2008
One of the best Rom-com's in recent years. Not full of laughs throughout, it does have it's more serious and dramatic parts along the way. It does have a great cast with Renolds, the 3 female leads and a good performance by Abigail Breslin as Reynolds daughter. A good story largely told in retrospective segments as a father tells his daughter of his 3 main loves in his life, to see if she can work out which one was her mother. A class above most Rom-coms, with aspects similar to The Notebook and Serendipity!
Jennifer X

February 12, 2008
This is one of the best romantic comedies I've seen in a long time. The story is romantic and snappy, keeping just the right amount of mystery so that it is not confusing but whimsically engrossing. I loved having the setting during Bill Clinton's time - it weathered and toughened out the story in an aspect where it definitely could've been too "fairytale". Isla Fisher is the European Amy Adams; I thought she was so, so adorable whenever she delivered anything. I hope she gets a great career in the future.I still kind of hate Ryan Reynolds because his acting style has touches of the egotistical and fake, but I think he manages to obtain a decent amount of chemistry with all four female characters (Abigail Breslin included). The casting was pretty much flawless, even though I think they could've had Elizabeth Banks do more and had us like her more. She can be perfectly endearing, that one.But as a general idea, I highly recommend this movie to anyone and I couldn't stop smiling throughout!
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
The ending got me with this film. Ryan Reynolds played Abigail Bronsons father so perfectly and this is one of the best love stories written.
Kristijonas F

March 19, 2011
I'm such a sucker for Romantic Comedies that its hard for me to advise against watching one... but combine that with my absolute adoration of Ryan Reynolds, a witty script and sharp direction - and you get a hell of a great movie.
Nani V

February 17, 2008
I enjoy movies that takes place over a period of time, especially when it's about relationships. It's a journey of it's own and you can see how the characters develop with time.

Ryan Reynolds plays Will Hayes, father to Maya Hayes (Breslin). While going through a divorce, Maya asks her father to tell the story of how he met her mom. He starts from the beginning and shares about the relationships in between as well. I found it to be sweet and relevant.
jamers2011
jamers2011

November 6, 2010
I'm not going to lie. I love this movie! I really like the fluidity of the 4 stories, how they're all mixed together and how they all build off one another. Isla Fisher and Abigail Breslin really add to this film. Definitely one of the better romantic comedies I've seen. I recommend it!
Spencer S

July 29, 2010
Cute in its concept, but not altogether great.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 15, 2010
Boring uninspired comedy romantic drama film. Painfully too long, and doesn't go to the point. bad script, acting and directing make this a definite miss!
familiar s

January 9, 2009
Is it a 'mystery love story' (as the character Maya puts it)? Definitely, maybe. Is it a 'must watch' rom-com? Definitely not. 5.5/10.
KJ P

February 4, 2010
I didn't really care for it, and the whole story would never happen, so why bother!
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 1, 2009
A bit disappointing!
I mean its a bit funny cute little story but just a little boring to be honest!
great cast and great acting as well!
its about 3 woman that reynolds dated and loved and he explains a sotry to his little daughter about the 3 ladies and through a series of story telling and seeing which one he loves and needs to rekindle his love!
not great but i guess worth a watch~!!!
DerekA101
DerekA101

February 11, 2009
"Dad, I can't believe you smoked... and drank... and were such a slut... But I still love you."

A surprise hit in 2008, Definitely, Maybe is a sweet and charming film about a recently divorced father (Ryan Reynolds) who tells his daughter (Abigal Breslin) the story of how he met and fell in love with her mother. The narration then turns to lengthy flashbacks, and we're introduced to the three women Reynold's character fell in love with. Mystery deepens as more and more is revealed about each chance encounter until the climatic ending when his daughter finds out which character in the story tale is her mother.

This film is cute and enjoyable. Breslin is adorable, and although she already knows her mother in real life, she was overwhelmed with anxiety trying to piece together the puzzle of which character from her dad's story was her mom. When faced with the idea of one of the characters being her mom, she swore she'd move to Canada.

I liked this setup... it enables you to get lost in the story, and intrigued by the mystery.

The three lead actresses are all beautiful and delivered convincing performances: Elizabeth Banks, Rachel Weisz, and Isla Fisher.

This is a beautiful story about love, hope, and second chances. One of the most endearing films of 2008.

"Fine, I'm gonna tell you the story, but I'm not telling you who your mom is. You're just gonna have to figure it out for yourself. And I'm changing all of the names, and some of the facts. I just decided that right now. Then we'll see how smart you are."
Leigh R

September 21, 2007
So beautiful... it makes you want to cry.
Bannan i

Released: 2008
Stars:Ryan Reynolds, Kevin Kline,Rachel Weisz and Elizabeth Banks
Genre: Comedy/Romance
Country: USA

On the day she has her first sex ed class, 10-year-old Maya grills her divorcing dad Will Hayes about her conception. That night, he fills her in, changing the names of the women who were in his life then to keep her guessing which is her mom: Emily, his college girlfriend when he came to New York from Wisconsin for Clinton's '92 campaign; April, edgy, a little cynical, who misses her father; and, Summer, a writer attracted to older, established men. In demanding the story, Maya's motivation is clear: to get her dad to fall in love again with her mom. Will this parent trap work? In the telling, might Will discover his true Penelope? Definitely

Review coming soon...
Nicki M

February 13, 2008
Very slow moving and I'm unsure of Ryan Reynolds as a romantic lead. Rachel Weisz was just yuck. I couldn't stand her or her character, so put together with Ryan Reynolds, I pretty much just wanted to switch off on those parts! Isla Fisher saves this one as does Abigail Breslin, to a lesser extent. It's okay, I have seen a lot worse, but something about it doesn't quite work, although the ending redeems it somewhat.
maxthesax
maxthesax

December 27, 2008
a sweet bit of romantic fantasty that holds within it an interesting mystery (who will end up being the wife).

There is also an interesting turn where the male lead gets disillusioned by the politics that he cared so much about. Idealism meets the real world.

There are a few flaws here, as ofttimes the young daughter seems alternately wise beyond her years, and then totally juvinile; or when charactors seem to know too much or know of things they have no right to know - an example, when the male lead finally gives the long lost book to April and says that he's now divorced, she casually says "yes, I've heard". How? Is there a broadcast on the nightly news of all the recent divorces in NYC? Yes, it's a throwaway line, but all the more telling as it makes no sense and, in one of the few times in this film, exhibits sloppy writting.

In all, the tone throughout is a nice one, and I enjoyed the gimmick of stopping the story to have the daughter interject or question. Here's a romantic "comedy" that has surprising depth and is true to it's tone.
James A

August 17, 2008
Its not Matthew Mconaghey bad but it is still a pretty long and boring romantic comedy.