Wanted

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Wanted Reviews

John M

May 11, 2008
I liked the over top feel of this movie. Was it good? I dont know. Fun? Yes. Tons of great effects made for a very fun 2 hours.
Wildaly M

June 29, 2008
The premise is ridiculous as are the action sequences. But what else can you expect from a mindless action summer popcorn movie?

Also, why not make the main character British or Scottish instead of enduring McAvoy's shoddy American accent?
Eugene B

May 6, 2013
Wanted is superb all in due to its nonstop action sequences, vivid violent nature and ensemble (Jolie, McAvoy, Freeman). The film may not be a satisfying plot, but it does well with the humor, excitement and eventual twists throughout. 4.5/5
thmtsang
thmtsang

June 28, 2008
This is an action movie about a group of assassins. Interesting plot. Great cast. James' American accent takes a while to get used to. The scenes with his overbearing boss were very funny. The train crash scene had great effects. However, the loom, curved bullets and healing baths were very far fetched.
Mark W

November 25, 2012
Action is not normally a genre I'm drawn to but when it's done without reservation, I can completely enter into it. I, normally, find that the genre always goes a little too far. That being the case, if your going to go far you night as well go all out and be as innovative as you possibly can. This can certainly claim to do that.
Wesley Gibson (James McAvoy) is a bored and downtrodden office worker who gets bullied by his boss while his best friend is sleeping with his girlfriend. His life is a shambles. That is, until he is approached out of the blue by the mysterious Fox (Angelina Jolie), a highly trained assassin who is part of a secret society called the Fraternity. Wesley's father was also a member and now that he's recently deceased, Wesley is heir to the skills of a master hitman and the Fraternity bring him onboard.
In his first English language feature, director Timur Bekmambetov brings the similar style from his Russian vampire movies "Night Watch" and "Day Watch" and proves that he's a director that can certainly stage an action scene or two. There are cars that do 360 degree flips, people that leap from skyscrapers, bullets that collide with each other mid-air and even ones that bend round corners, buy hey, it's based on a comic-book by Mark Millar (also responsible for "Kick Ass") so anything goes right? The action scenes are sublimely hyper-stylised and delivered with a breathtakingly fast pace. It also stages a lot of the action in glorious slow-motion, encapsulating the moment and allowing the audience the wallow and appreciate even further.
To begin with, the film may instil a certain deja-vu as it borrows heavily from "Fight Club" in it's premise of a disheartened man, in a dead end job, that finds a new lease of life. Mainly what it incorporates though, is the balletic skills of Hong Kong action maestro John Woo and the gravity defying works of "The Matrix". Quite simply, it's ludicrous stuff but riotously enjoyable all the same.
McAvoy struggles a little with an American accent but for the most part he's good and his performance captures both a sense of humour and an impressive and convincing action ability. A heavily tattooed and vampish Angelina Jolie also gets her fair share of action moments, all-be-it, without much in the way of dialogue. As good as they are though, this is not a film that spends a lot of time or focus on character development. It's an action movie that doesn't pretend to be anything else and is all the better for it.
Visually astounding with a breakneck pace that rarely let's up. It's exciting, innovative and enjoyable, but most of all it's fun. Exactly how an action movie should be delivered.
Albert K

October 2, 2011
Another mindless summer blockbuster that wasn't able to convince me of its style. For the majority of blockbuster action movies, they either, a) Embrace mindless stupidity b) Make a character driven adventure story that has insane action set-pieces. Wanted tries to go with option b but fails to draw the audience. The direction and editing tries to build its own style but sacrifices technical excellence for it; its detracting. Dialogue was awful, acting was mediocre, and the action, though fun at times, is lacking.
Joe M

February 4, 2012
This movie couldn't have been dumber if they tried. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Coxxie M

May 30, 2009
some good action scenes but stupid Angelina Jolie just acts with her boobs and 10-pound lips.
Raymond W

November 10, 2011
Plenty of incredible action sequences, a smart script and some substantial plot twists make Wanted the a better-than-average summer blockbuster.
Lady D

July 13, 2008
[Rewatch]

Wanted gets better with each watch! The film is slick, has a high level of Action, is fast paced and the impressive on many levels, adapted from a Graphic Novel, we go from zero to hero with an audience pleasing plot.

The graphics were highly impressive, with some very unique visuals, the main character was developed well and the back story of the Fraternity and the assassinations were well written.

This is a film that will be watched over and over.
garyX
garyX

November 16, 2007
A downtrodden working stiff who wishes he had more from life discovers one day that he is a super-powered assassin who can bend the laws of physics. Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I've heard this somewhere before. Not to mention the "phew it was only a dream...oh wait, no it wasn't!" scene and the beautiful stranger who becomes his personal Yoda. In fact the entire plot is utterly ludicrous ("Loom Of Fate"? Riiiight...) and the majority of the film is basically the Rocky montage done in the style of The Matrix while McAvoy whines and howls to the point of distraction. There are some slickly directed set pieces and it does have its moments, but they're all just on a very superficial, eye boggling level. In its favour it never gets dull and I actually enjoyed it first time around, but if you scrape the surface there's nothing more than a half-arsed Fight Club rip off with a gun fetish.
Phil H

July 1, 2008
Hmmm strange one to call this, the begining of the film is quite good, we meet McAvoy who is wet and pathetic, which is quite amusing. Then we meet Jolie and have a pretty good car chase and gun battle which all looks and feels cool. But thats where it ends really, we discover a story about an elite assassins fraternity which is neat but huge amounts of dodgy cgi later the plot goes of the board and it gets very stupid.

The plot gets weaker and weaker frankly, people are killed for no reason atall because a loom says so,some of the action sequences are really daft, especially the train scene lol and then there's a huge plot twist which is kinda cool but loses the whole loom side of the story cos everybody should kill everybody haha.
Another prob is the film seems to be a vehicle for Jolie and her tats lol! which, I might add are not nice looking tats for one, second, Jolie is not the sexual goddess she seems to think she is lol! she looks like a hotdog with tats in the arse showing scene haha a stick insect with guns haha dont flatter yourself Jolie haha.

There are also plot holes like who is controlling the loom? how can fate control it?? why are people targeted by the loom?? seeing as all of the fraternity are targeted whats the point of there being a fraternity? who was the man leaping out of the skyscraper at the start of the film? how did the train derail? what happened to the train and the thousands of passengers??how come no one has found the fraternities castle?? lol! I could go on.

The plot is a nice idea but seems to need alot of fine tuning.
Its an average flick really, saved by a good if over the top shoot out final sequence and good car chase at the start, the rest is basically ridiculous with bad effects.
In the end this film really does show you how good 'The Matrix' is as this is trying very hard to match it.
Scott G

October 25, 2011
A strong cast creates a strong performance and Bekmambetov does just that, the realisation, the lead up to the big finale and the whole action and suave, slick moves make the film even more enjoyable, not a single thing could make it better.
Apeneck F

May 28, 2008
The fantasy here is that an office drone is transformed into a super assassin, which is probably the very thing yer Ma was hoping. Still a fun fantasy. Angelina Jolie plays the girl next door. Not.
Drake T

July 21, 2011
Some great moments, but the end product is hardly defining of the action genre. I'm also not a fan of the crisp, special-effects-driven choreographed action that seems quite popular as of late.

But it definitely beats out it's competitors of similar flashy flare. That being said, for its particular style and the fact that it's a graphic novel adaptation, I see an overall success.

Also, McAvoy is very becoming and Jolie does great as always.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 30, 2011
Wanted was fun time. It had decent acting, and interesting story, and Anjelina Jolie hotter than ever. I know what your thinking, this perve only liked it because of Anjelina Jolie, well thats not true, but im just saying, they didn't put her naked in their for fun. A bloody thrill ride that many people will call a cult classic.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

July 20, 2008
This whole movie will keep you at the edge of your seat.. humor action drama all in the one movie, this over-the-top action film which stars Angelina Jolie and my fave Morgan Freeman, is loosely based on a series of comic books and is superbly shot, but its also astonishingly violent and graphic ~!!!!
Anthony L

April 14, 2011
Wanted is very over the top, quite silly and often completely ridiculous. So it is a pretty good graphic novel adaptation and Bekmambetov was a good choice of director. I've not read the comic yet, it is on my list, and I can totally see how it would read. For me, this is a pretty decent action film, tongue firmly in cheek and a lot of fun - albeit, very violent and often gory fun but fun all the same. A nice surprise I have to say as I was fearing the worst.