Hurricane on the Bayou Reviews

May 7, 2009
Had to watch this movie for extra credit at my son's middle school. It was supposed to be about Hurricane Katrina. Instead, it seemed like it was a movie about cajun musicians trying to sell a CD. Snoozefest.
½ April 6, 2008
This movie is sure to bring back some memories for all of us in Louisiana. Forget comparing it to other IMAX movies. If you are interested in that, go see an underwater feature. If you want something to make you think, go see this!
½ August 31, 2007
Its a given to say that Hurricane on the Bayou was a stunningly georgeous film. Its friggin IMAX. Would I be over stepping boundaries by claiming that Katrina was perhaps the most important event in American history since WWII? No, I haven't forgotten about 9/11. Katrina ended more lives, caused more damage, cost more money, and displaced more families than the greatest terrorist attack on U.S. soil. Given the facts, what's the point of making a wide release IMAX film targeting the afterschool demographic? This film is so simple minded that even middle school aged kids will yawn and doze through this simplistic and overly optimistic look at the infamous disaster. Even without making political statements, such as in Spike Lee's [i]When the Levees Broke[/i], [i]Hurricane[/i]'s makers could have upped the ante, perhaps investigating the Hurricane's scientific causes or at least aknowledging the terrifying scope of damage. 100 years from now, if no other record of this storm is kept, those who find this film will think that New Orleans flooded, a few cajuns lost their cabins, and an alligator lost all but one of its babies. This film is a shameful insult to all those who lost and suffered in Katrina and its aftermath.
½ March 16, 2007
What a spectacular opportunity...the greatest natural disaster strikes while you are filming a movie about the greatest natural disaster. As a filmmaker, what do you do? You are using the worlds largest camera, you are shooting a disaster on a grand scale, so...

You keep going and show more scenes with a teenage fiddler than you do of the aftermath of the hurricaine.

I was very disaapointed by this film, it could have stood on its own with the background material, the natural science behind the bayou, and then footage of the aftermath. Imax is the perfect medium to communicate the aftermath of Katrina, yet such a small percentage of this film was actual footage of the aftermath.

A waste of film stock. Could have been better told as a PBS documentary. I left wishing I could see more of the bayou and New Orleans area from the air and from the water...TV just doesn't communicate how IMAX could.