20% The Identical Sep 05

The Final Season Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 27, 2009
Michael Angarano, Sean Astin, Tom Arnold, Powers Booth, Brett Claywell, Nick livingston, Roscoe Myrick, Alexander Roos, James Gammon, Rachel Leigh Cook, Larry Miller

DIRECTED BY: David M. Evans

Tradition in Norway, IA (pop. 586), can be summed up in one word, Baseball. From father to son, generation to generation, this high school David exists to defeat Goliaths 10 times its size. As Coach Jim Van Scoyoc leads the team to its 19th State title, it seems following it with a 20th is a forgone conclusion. The unexpected strikes when bureaucracy intercedes merging the town with another. Petty jealousies and political designs conspire to rob Norway of its heritage and a 20th Championship. Making matters worse, legendary coach Van Scoyoc is fired and replaced with a one-season assistant coach, Kent Stock--a move that seems to guarantee the team's failure.

I guess you can say I am a sucker for these types of films. Use to watch baseball and listen to it on the radio with my dad. Never cared to much for the sport. But yet I can watch a movie about it..:)
I am a football kinda gal..lol.. Anyways, I liked this movie a lot. It's a good (and true) story. Love the small town flicks since I'm from one. They are your all American kind of movies.. But this had some good acting, good story, and was all in all a good feel kinda flick. Definitely worth the rent.
Tim S

May 27, 2008
This is the best thing I saw on the plane and it was terrible at best. At least it's good to know that Powers Booth is still alive.
SC007
SC007

January 1, 2009
Overall, it's a good film. The performances by Sean Astin, Powers Boothe, and Michael Angarano stand out in this film. It kind of reminded me of the Dennis Quaid film The Rookie. The negative, the pacing of this film is off. The film could have been 20 or 30 minutes shorter.
William G

October 12, 2007
As American as apple pie and as bland as diet vanilla ice cream on its side.
allen8221
April 6, 2009
it was an alright baseball movie. it seemed a little rushed and there was some stuff that could've been left out, but overall i thought it was a decent movie
armybratgeo
August 31, 2008
Oh this was good! Great actually! Love baseball, love Sean Astin and love those "feel good stories". So this was a perfect combination for me. The Story I have heard of before, so to finally watch this was excellent. Great they won, aweful the way the system works...
kwolf77
July 14, 2008
Pretty good movie. Some of the acting was amateur, but professionals Astin and Cook made up for it. A pretty good sports movie.
mikebh87
May 18, 2008
im not a big baseball fan but i got to say this movie is pretty darn good. recommended if you like friday night lights!
Hamee
November 6, 2007
This was a new twist to the usual underdog hometown hero stories that I usually watch. Instead of taking a failing team and leading them to victory or overcoming some other problem this team is the best team in the state trying to keep the dream alive when they find out that their school is closing.
StaisilD
October 5, 2007
Based on the True Story of a small town of Norway, Iowa baseball is everything. Their baseball the Norway Tigers, have won 19 consecutive state championship games, and with Legendary Coach Jim Van Scoyoc (Powers Boothe) returning again as their coach, a 20th win is in the bag, but when the school district talks about merger this small town with Madison, Iowa, but the thing is even though they are only talking, you know in the end they will, and with the merger of the school brings fear to town that not only that their boys will not get to play baseball on the new team and that there small town will disappear. So after their Coach is fired he is replaced by Kent Stock (Sean Astin), who only assisted Jim for half a season, to coach the team for last season, and failure seems inevitable. This movie is a true underdog story, after there Jim was fired losts of their "good" players decied not to return to play their final season, leaving young. inexperianced players to try and win that 20th state title.
runforrest66
April 27, 2008
This was a great movie! Of course it had to do with baseball but it also had beautiful Iowa scenery, good acting and an uplifting, positive message.
ugotjewed
April 27, 2008
very good movie i understand what going through a school merger is like because i grew up living in a small town but that would be crazy having to play a class 4A team when your only A and especially having to face a high school pitcher throwing 95 mph fastballs it was portrayed very well the acting was good the plot was good everythign was good about this movie and it was evena family movie
November 13, 2007
An ok if overly melodramatic look at the true story of the Norway IA Tigers and their fight to continue a 19 year tradition of baseball championships. Excellent family film!
clinton e.
April 19, 2014
The final season is boring, has an unconcieved plot, and borrows other of the same ingredients that sports movies use and doesn't know what to do with them
September 3, 2012
Cliche and very unemotional, this film borrows from other sports movies too much. Also, the 3 or 4 different sides of this story try to fill up other sports movies story lines off the field but fail to do so because of an overlong first half and just not enough time to go deep enough into the characters. Why should we watch the old coach's side of the story then see one of the players love life then switch 5 seconds later to the coach's struggle and his own love life. Wow.
April 27, 2012
I like it. It has baseball. Is it unoriginal? Yes! Does it have a bunch of cliches? Yeah. But, I still enjoy it. I almost cried at the end. I don't know why, I just did.
March 14, 2012
A really badly told story.
January 10, 2012
Biased review: I'm from Iowa and like baseball so it gets an extra 1/2 star. Its a fun family movie - great for showing outdoors at a baseball field.
Sandman1968
June 2, 2011
"The Final Season" is the second in a novel new film sub-genre: the inspirational and religion-themed sports melodrama. The first film, "Facing the Giants" wasn't a good example of the genre, but it did fare a lot better than this sappy, predictable excuse to extoll the values of sports and small-town life. A troubled youth is transplanted from the big bad city of Chicago and learns to love baseball and life, all while gaining a much-needed dose of respect along the way. It's all pretty corny and hard to swallow, even if the movie is over-stuffed with good intentions.
Sean Astin stars as real-life coach Kent Stott, and he also produced the film. He's a likeable guy, and I wanted to like him here but Astin has morphed into such an unusual looking and sounding actor that it's distracting and comical. It would be a lie to say I didn't get involved in this simple but engaging story because it's such a natural crowd-pleaser. Because I didn't know the outcome going in, the final game does hold some suspense and the movie is perfectly suited for families and people of all ages. I just wish the set-up hadn't been so hokey and unintentionally funny. it killed the movie for me.
Veteran Powers Boothe does manage to maintain most of his dignity in a good performance as the Iowan's teams veteran coach. Whether you buy what it's selling about heartland values or not, "The Final Season" is too goody-goody for its own good. But unless you're a total cynic, it will work on you.
November 4, 2010
one heck of a movie,i loved every bit of it. a great baseball coach and hall of famer.