Take Reviews

½ November 14, 2013
3 3/4's--This is a very slow movie, but for some reason I kept with it. I am glad that I did. I found it thought provoking, tragic, and moving. The tragic events of this movie will stick with me for some time, I imagine. I DO NOT, however, understand how they just wrote the dad out. I am assuming that somehow the marriage ended, and she was single by the end...
Harlequin68
½ August 11, 2011
In the present day, Saul(Jeremy Renner) is being prepared to be executed by lethal injection. In the past, he is a petty crook and gambler who works at a storage facility while taking care of his invalid father. He is also badly in need of $2,000. Ana(Minnier Driver), a maid, could also use a little extra cash. She has just been told that her son Jesse(Bobby Coleman) is being transferred to special education. To avoid that fate, she wants to send him to private school but receives little support from her husband Marty(David Denman, of "Drop Dead Diva"), himself a teacher.

"Take" is a ponderous movie that lumbers towards its inescapable conclusion where two people have their lives changed in a fateful meeting. After which, there is a curious endnote praising restorative justice which long story short says that confrontation is good for the soul between convict and victim, forgetting for a second how many people are in jail for victimless crimes. And in this case, it only works one way as Saul is definitely beyond the point of no return. In fact, Jeremy Renner's sad sack performance seems to work towards the conclusion that Saul has no business being on death row(which personally I don't think anybody should be) which is a debate the movie ducks away from.
December 28, 2010
Good indie flik. Moves very slowly.
March 14, 2009
good didn't think i'd like the non-linear flashbacks but I did, it just takes a little more work and I'll admit that I'm a pretty lazy movie watcher, I just like to let it wash over me but the extra work pays off big in this one amazing performances by both driver & renner in this american tragedy.
½ June 30, 2009
Too bad their lives had to meet in the store. I just had a bad feeling with the kid sitting in the car and the little on taking off his red boots. The ending was not a surprise but he should of opened the truck. Hard to forgive but he was as lost as any child from what his father did not do.
½ September 9, 2013
Preachy nonsense filled with flashbacks of a mom and her annoying kid. I mean, even after her sons death, he's still capable of annoying the hell out of an audience for 90 minutes.
December 29, 2012
I can't believe I didn't realize Minnie Driver was such a good actress until I saw this movie. It was a good surprise. She and Jeremy Renner are both compelling and breathtaking. One star for each. Although I don't find the movie itself really good, at least they are amazing.
June 11, 2012
The uphill journey leading to the climax is done very well and genuinely makes you want to keep watching to see what happens. However, the second half of the movie leading to the ending felt rushed and left me disappointed
Harlequin68
½ August 11, 2011

February 6, 2011
A very slow-paced movie that works effectively in setting the film's dreary mood. Reminiscent of Alejandro Gonzales IƱarritu's style of filming (21 Grams, Babel) where the lives of different people are forever altered by a single event. Minnie Driver and Jeremy Renner were equally great.
May 31, 2010
Why bother to make a film and, just a the end, try to justify it with some bs about a jail program. Is it about people? About What?. It really makes no sense. Great actors though, too bad the script won't help them.
December 29, 2009
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down
May 26, 2009
Take is an interesting look at the vitim-prisoner psyche connection. While Take may be flawed in story telling and some event connection. Driver and Reinner are powerful and truly makes this limited relase film a grand drama if you can forgive it's issues.
½ January 6, 2009
Well meaning but very slow and it is a depressing film. Good acting by Minnie Driver. Another plus is that it isn't predictable, but by the time the film gets going it's too late. It takes way too long to become interesting.