Believers

Believers Reviews

Gx7
Gx7

July 14, 2008
Well, the acting was ok except for the main star of the movie, god what a terrible actor! The story and the "mystery" was what actually kept me watching, it.. kinda messes with your head actually, itll make you think. Too bad they screwed up the casting for this, wouldve been quite okish.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

September 20, 2011
Two paramedics David Vaughn (Johnny Messner) and Victor (Jon Huertas) receive an emergency call from a little girl Libby (Saige Ryan Campbell). When they arrive on the scene, they find the woman, almost dead, and her young daughter immediately warns the paramedics to hurry up because "they are coming." Anyhow, they no sooner attempt to revive the dying woman than a truckload of cultists armed with guns show up and kidnap them but not before they notice that the woman has numbers tattooed all over her chest. But the night is yet to become stranger when they take them back to their compound run by members of a strange sect Quanta Group, composed of scientists, philosophers and mathematicians. These people believe they have condensed the secrets of time and the universe into a mathematical formula and foresee the end of the world after a meteor shower. Their leader The Teacher (Daniel Benzali) converts Vic to his cult, but the reluctant David resists and tries to escape to from the cult with the help of Libby. Will he succeed in saving his friend before it's too late?
The movie has its fair share of flaws but what captured my attention was issues of destiny and its attainment, religion versus science, power of suggestion and gullibility are highlighted (comparisons with Jonestown are obvious), enabling the viewer to evaluate and ponder just how easily you can get into caught up in the beliefs of a cult.
Christopher B

October 12, 2007
This movie made a believer out of me. I now believe this movie sucks. BURN!
May 14, 2012
An interesting premise about paramedics abducted by a cult during a routine call unfortunately devolves in a mostly forgettable film that goes on for about 20 minutes too long. Believers has promise, but it just doesn't quite deliver on it.
October 30, 2007
I gave this one a re-watch off the To-Watch Pile and knowing where its heading helps to offset my initial qualms about the pacing (see below), I'd say that this holds up pretty well, but has been done better in a film called End Of The Line.

In this fairly slow-paced thriller you spend the movie in the same spot as the two leads: wondering why the cult who kidnaps them is doing what it's doing.

Worth a rental, but the pacing could put some people off.
THEHUMANCONDITION
April 25, 2008
The plot had some potential, but it's implementation wasn't very good. The script was downright terrible. I must admit that the ending was pretty cool though.
January 22, 2008
Barely watchable cult-horror movie that never transcends stock characters, cliche twists, and the apocalypse.
jimkennedy031
December 17, 2007
I've seen films that have had no plot but just non-stop violence ("Crank") and for the most part - that doesn't bother me. I enjoy the action, horror, comedy or whatever genre it is even with the simplest story - you don't need a huge, world changing story to get my attention. The problem with "Believers" is simple - nothing happens until the last 15 minutes of the film.

The entire film is a build up of speeches about math and formulas about the upcoming end of days via a creepy cult out in the desert. It follows two paramedics who get kidnapped by this cult and are given the chance to 'save themselves' from a lot of pain in the next few weeks. Sound interesting? It did to me so I gave it a chance and rented it only to be disappointed. One of my buddies I was watching it with - as soon as it ended - turned to me and said, "I've never seen a movie where nothing happens". And it's the truth - nothing happenes until the last 15 minutes and even they aren't that great.

The 'twist' ending I - unfortunately - saw coming which made the movie feel even more useless for me. Director Daniel Myrick -one half of the directing team behind the huge hit "The Blair Witch Project" - gives us a boring film with too much story and not enough action or at least movement.

The other half of the directing team of "The Blair Witch Project" - Eduardo Sanchez - put out a film straight to DVD in 2006 entitled "Altered" which is a far better film.
Pan C.
March 19, 2013
Decent creepy cult movie. While it may not manage to be too surprising, it doesn't grow dull either. Has a good amount of set, some pretty believable acting and does its best to explain just enough, while those things that ramble about the plot fail to derail it, this is about a cult after all, one can hardly expect solid logic. Not a full on horror film, but intriguing enough. I'd like to say I'm going against the popular opinion here and say fresh (for its budget class), but in the end the movie just kind of fails to really go somewhere with the build up tension. And that means this one comes in at 3 stars, just below the official fresh mark.
Umelbumel
July 10, 2011
Stupid, too long and very boring.
2/5
January 20, 2011
This is one of those films that plays with your sense of reality and forces you to question some of your preconceived notiions of how things are. There is a sort of visual starkness to this film that induces a mild feeling of discomfort which is inhanced by the complete seriousness and lack of humor of the cult members. On one hand they don't seem to be malicious or cruel, on the other they are detached and aloof. Answers are not easily forthcoming as to what they are all about ("no talking"). It doesn't take long to get the sense that they are completely unhinged and are going someplace (and taking YOU along) to which you definately do not want to go. They seem to have a concern for your welfare and yet their basic premise seems to be beyond irrational(of course if you are not so good in math, it is kind of hard to be sure of this). Still if their numbers are not irrational, thier theology certainly appears to be. Ah yes and then there is the ending (where YOUR ending is not THEIR ending) and you have finally escaped their clutches following their 'departure' from this world---an ending which will keep nipping at the heels of your subconscienceness long after the final credits have rolled.
Derek B.
January 20, 2010
The movie just wasn't believable (sorry for the pun). The story focuses on two EMTs that get kidnapped by a cult of scientists. The scientists believe that the world is going to end and the only way they can survive this is by killing themselves. There you go. The main character is not very believable and the plot doesn't really pick up until almost the end.I would not recommend this movie unless you are snowed in your house and you have decided its either watch this or drive an ice pick through your thigh.
Pallas
December 12, 2009
This is not a bad movie. It does get a bit slow in the third quarter, but overall it's an interesting take on a religious cult. The acting is decent, the writing is decent, and overall it is entertaining.
natoriousbug
January 11, 2009
This was a movie that suprised me. I guess I have a neck for watching movies that never go to the box office in persuit of that diamond in the rough. Those of you who know me or have read my reviews know how much I love a twist. This movie has an ultimate twist. If it was not in there the movie would have uterly sucked. It's a low budget cult feature. But, like I said the twist made the movie.
Ricky M.
December 31, 2008
A Superbly crafted thriller; Original and thought provoking
Todd S
August 25, 2008
[font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000]2007 US Director: Daniel Myrick[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000]Score: 7[/color][/size][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Times New Roman][size=4] From one of the directors that created [i]The Blair Witch Project[/i], this is an entertaining independent film. I appreciated the ending because the plot itself really did a good job of keeping me ?in reality? with the main character. The atmosphere of the ?Heaven?s Gate? style cult works well, although it does leave a few things unexplained and kind of just hanging there. The effects are pretty good. The music wasn?t bad, but was nothing special. The actors are very good. All said and done, this is worth a viewing for sure.[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font='Times New Roman'][size=4][color=#000000]Notes: HV-HL-HN Suggested Age: 16+[/color][/size][/font]