70% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Shelter Reviews

Carlos M

March 26, 2012
A simple film that relies on the chemistry between Wright and Rowe, telling a sweet coming-of-age story about a young gay man trying to figure out what he wants in life. Unfortunately, it is also too conventional and predictable, with a lot of stereotyped conflicts.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

December 16, 2011
I hate using the term "gay themed film" because very often most of the "themes" in these films are just as relevant to all people...but this is the story of a guy discovering that he is attracted to a man and attempts (in a very homogenized "movie of the week" way) to express all of the challenges that come with that discovery.

The intent here is good and the story (while not very well written) is well acting. Unfortuantly the mediocre writting prevents you from ever sensing (much less actually feeling) much of the emotion that would be involved in a situation like this.

It's a sweet film to spite it's stereotypical plot points (sadly there is always some truth in stereotypes), but because it never gets to deep into the emotions of the main ("gay") characters I don't think it serves as anything other then "light entertainment'.

In other words - no ones opinoion or life is going to be changed by watching this. And that is ok, except for the fact that with a good cast like this - it could have been so much more.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

August 17, 2010
"Shelter" may feature a gay romance but it's a far cry from one of those cheesy gay movies. This is a film about a twenty something just trying to find out who he is, what he wants to do with his life and not feel selfish about it. It's a lovely coming of age story that is never contrived and always rings true. Basically anyone can relate to this film.
Thomas J

March 21, 2009
This is a great love story! Actually the first love story that honestly depicts love as I know it! This movie is real without stereotypes and/or exaggerations!! Great movie!!
jjnxn
jjnxn

May 4, 2008
Wonderful! Sweet film, starts a little slow but well worth sticking with.
Ina S

July 4, 2009
Feelgood film about a young man finding himself and his sexual identity along the way. One of these films that are just there to make the audience happy - without being shallow. The acting is good, the leading couple is cute and believable.
Sunil J

June 6, 2008
Quite a simple story and a bit sterotypical for a gay movie but I liked it.
alexyluthor
alexyluthor

February 22, 2009
Someone told me it was one of the best films of 2007... either they only watched horrid films from 2007 or they have arguable taste... either way, nothing special.
jcooper9707
December 27, 2010
this has pretty good acting staring out. but don't let that deter you. you start following the storyline and what it bring about 10 minutes in the movie. this is really great and sends a good message.
randymcdonald83
August 13, 2010
I feel that flixster should add gay friendly movies to their watch movies section, cause I feel are needs aren't met and it would be wonderful also for young gays to understand some of the things that are within the culture such as: Safe sex,Aids awarness,and Gay Love. And I know that there are young gays on every website, please I urge you to add movies and start education gay youth
XxAidenGrayxX
logged81
July 14, 2010
i was in the mood for this film - at times brad rowe was not believalble in his character - it was a good film and interesting story.
satelliteblu
January 8, 2010
I love this film because of Trevor Wright's all-too-real performance throughout. The love story is gripping because of the circumstances Zach must face. It's an intense character to portray and Wright does it beautifully. Had another actor been in his place the film may have lacked something huge like most of its other character performances. Regardless, I fell in love. Well done.
austinwduncan
December 12, 2009
12-12-2009. Love it! One of my all time favorites, fell in love with it instantly. This movie puts Brokeback Mountain to shame.
alienmindtrick
November 26, 2009
It's rare that I find a gay-themed movie that's played close to the bone, that doesn't try to go over the top, but cleaves so close to how most of us live our lives that it could be the story of one of us. Shelter is that kind of story, not over, not under, but dead on, a perfect bullseye.
November 6, 2009
Beautiful and Simple. Lovely music. The fact that the lead character is called Zach is definitely a bonus. :)
templarfreakincheer
September 22, 2009
i fell in live with this movie the first time i watched it. i just wish it went a little deeper into the characters back stories, but still an amazing movie!
June 15, 2008
I originally rated this only 3 stars on Flixster but a 2nd viewing makes me think I was way too harsh.

I thought this would have worked more had Zach fell in love with Gabe. Gabe was more his age. Gabe is the one that Zach always went to with his problems and there just seemed to be more raw masculine sexual tension between the 2 of them. Problem with this lack of logic on my part is that Gabe is not gay but his brother Shaun is.

Zach "starts out" as a straight skateboarder and surfer, not typical gay film activities, making this a rare film with some beautiful, very well filmed, scenery.

However, I felt that Shaun's character was not developed enough. Although he was suppose to be the one character that actually had his act together, he really didn't act like it. I just kept feeling that he would dump Zach at first opportunity (after the time frame in the film).

The film does work on the level that Zach comes to realize what is really important to him. But afterall, that is what coming of age films are for, right?

It is not clear what happens to Zach's dad. Other than his nephew, his dad needed contstant care. It is also not clear what was his illness. A quick shot on the label of his pills would have resolved that issue. Also outside of the film's timeframe, things simply would not be so "Hollywood" as far as Zach's sister, her lover, and her son are concerned. However, in the film's favor, it does not intend to go there. Instead, the film is about Zach's decisions concerning his vocation, family, and sexuality and the film, as well as the actors do a fine job. Trevor Wright's (Zach) stands out as a straight man playing a gay role for the first time. Tina Holmes (TV's 6 Feet Under, 24, NYPD Blue) also did a fine job as did Ross Thomas as Gabe. Shaun is played by Brad Rowe, also a straight man giving a good performance in a gay role. I just wish they would have developed Shaun's role more, perhaps increasing the 88 minute, way too short film. But again, I cannot downgrade this due to it really was not in the scope of what was important, Zach's life decisions.
mLuIsEh
April 3, 2009
Absolutely amazing film. Oh where to start ;) loved every bit of it and is now in my collection of romantic films i can stand :D Believable and amazing storyline and characters. Watching this film, you just want Zach's life to be better because, hey, he has an honest heart and the ability to love. I cannot say how much I love the ending! always puts a smile on my face:D
aragorn2x
March 10, 2009
very good movie..Trevor Wright is a great actor and cute. It was great to see a gay character be the stable one and a role model.
gms1yygy
February 2, 2009
Very well done movie. Sometimes the thing we want to do it the right thing, even when it doesn't seem to be what we ought to do. Lots of interesting relationships in this movie, and some of the difficulty of coming to terms with being gay.