What Love Is Reviews

SC007
July 26, 2009
Mars Callahan did a great job with Poolhall Junkies. However, his follow up film, What Love Is, is a misfire. He had a really good idea here, but didn't execute it correctly. The dialog is very good. Callahan echoes David Mamet and Ed Burn type of dialog. The film feels like a stage play. He didn't need to do fancy camera work and editing techniques in the film. I found those techniques distracting. Especially the segment, where the actresses morph into strippers and dance. To me that was not necessary at all. Some of the actors are miscast, especially Cuba Gooding Jr. and Matthew Lillard. However, Gina Gershon, Anne Heche, Mars Callahan, Sean Astin, Tamala Jones, and Shiri Appleby shine in this film. I am hoping Callahan's next film will be more like Poolhall Junkies than this film.
xxdebxx
June 13, 2011
Plot: Tom plans to surprise his girlfriend Sara with an engagement ring, and he's asked his four best friends to witness the popping of the question at his place on Valentine's night. Trouble is Sara's left him a "Dear John" letter and will be by soon to pick up her suitcases; plus, thinking it's a party, Tom's friend Sal has invited five women to come too.

Cuba Gooding Jr. is great as the dumped on character who doesn't know how he's going to get his girlfriend back while Mathew Lillard was amazing as Sal, (especially in the scene about monogamy) and it`s nice to see Gina Gershon back on screen (looking hot as usual).

Because it explodes stereotypical attitudes on love, sex and the games people play, the film takes the form of conversation where the characters take turns telling their story, their gripes on love and the opposite sex! First the men, then, the women! It's smart and funny and best enjoyed by those who've made a relationship mistake or two and can afford to laugh at themselves. It's a fiendishly accurate depiction of the extreme positions we take over love and sex. Watch this uninhibited movie and absorb the raw truth and wisdom, complete with the F-bombs and sexual descriptions.
½ November 10, 2007
Good film, great performances. It felt like a play, sort of David Mamet-esque at some points.
iLeo
December 8, 2007
I rated this movie already. Hmmmm....that's strange!! Well, this is a great movie/paraody that centralizes on various themes: dating, love, men vs. women, and relationships. Tons of laughter! Great cast! A must-see!
July 14, 2008
Excellent movie with great performances by everyone. The only downer was the foul language got tiresome after the first 30 minutes. It was good to see Matthew Lilliard in a 'grown-up' role but his script was the most offensive. Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Sean Astin were terrific.
The dialogue moves very very fast and the timing of the actors is dead-on. What I thought was going to be a romantic comedy (Boring!) turned out to be a great guys vs. gals flic. wonderful!
½ March 29, 2008
Very interesting..not really a movie..more of a room full of guys and girls comparing their thoughts on relationships...I honestly enjoyed it all!
½ April 2, 2008
I actually liked this movie quite a bit. Shiri Appleby and Victoria Pratt were way underused but the sweet moments made the movie good.
May 16, 2011
This movie works as a statement of the frustrations people have with connecting. The dialogue is a fandango of friends expressing their frustration with the games they have to play to find and connect with the objects of their affections. The is a good enough mix of the male and female points of view for the constraints of a whimsical look at the world and the dance to find love. If the move had a flaw for me, it was that the pacing gave the hint that the clock was running and resolutions where rushed.
March 31, 2009
I think it would be more useful to gather all these movies and cases and grind them up to make shoes for children who don't have any then to ruin someones day watching this film. Give your money to a charity you'll feel better about yourself.
April 2, 2008
I was one of the 5 people who were really looking forward to this film. I loved Poolhall Junkies so I was excited to see this. What a serious piece of garbage. From the begininng to the end this asinine film was almost completely unwatchable. It's as if Callahan just thought that having fast dialogue is good enough. What we have here is complete and utter bullshit.
½ March 21, 2008
Way too yakky and tritely written, at times abrasive as well as stereotypical. The acting isn't too bad, but it seems like a stage play. A waste of some good talent.