Elegy

Elegy Reviews

neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

October 23, 2010
I had initially rated Elegy much higher than this, but have changed that now with the review. I watched the film a couple weeks ago - and enjoyed it - but the thing is that absolutely nothing stuck around; there is absolutely nothing particularly remarkable about the film. Penelope Cruz is charming, feisty, and vivacious, but what else is new? The only other thing I remember at all, is that Ben Kingsley's character is terrible. I mean, he is convincing enough, but just completely dislikable. I'm not really that fond of Philip Roth's work in general. He's a bit of an old perv and that really shines through in his male characters - especially those professors who sleep with all their students, while cheating on their mistress. It's all overtly sexual, but not in a shocking way and not in an erotic way either. It's just kinky. The only problem with Miss. Cruz according to Mr. Kingsley is that she doesn't just love him for his stick. God forbid that she actually likes him as a person! And those are the three things to note about Elegy. So, I guess the film is watchable, but it is extremely flawed. Really there are more flaws than anything to pick apart to praise. There just isn't anything left.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

August 24, 2010
This movie suxs, during first 30 min was going to give it 1 star, but as it continued and it kept hitting closer to home. Nothing short of 4 stars.
Jani H

July 28, 2010
"We see the beautiful shell. We're blocked by the beauty barrier. Yeah, we're so dazzled by the outside that we never make it inside."

Isabel Coixet directed 'My Life Without Me' back in 2003. I enjoyed the film very much and spent a lot of time getting a DVD copy for myself. I remembered Coixet's name and waited to see if she could make a film as good as 'My Life Without Me'. 'Elegy' has its good moments, coming close but no cigar. What?

Ben Kingsley plays a cultural critic, David Kepesh, that has his own classes at the University. He understands superficial beauty and when getting his eyes on Penelope Cruz's character, his life will change. A woman that is worth the "Perfect 10" mention, is beautiful inside and outside. But can Kepesh understand the beauty in front of him or is she just a "trophy"?

To be honest, I had difficulties to keep my eyes wide awake at the beginning. There's a lot of dialogue, which is by no means a bad thing, but they just don't get anywhere with it? I don't know if it's highly intellectual to keep on asking "How many have you been with?", "How'd you do it?" etc. And another thing that bothered me a bit was that the two characters had like zero passion between them. How are you supposed to believe that this love they have would be any more special than others?

What I liked about 'Elegy' was the two lead actors work. Ben Kingsley did a great job as the emotionally handicapped older man. The further the movie goes, the further is his character developing. Penelope Cruz is truly one of the most beautiful women on the face of the Earth. I've enjoyed seeing her perform on the screen and I like her versatility.

'Elegy' was in the end somewhat of a disappointment. I enjoy serious drama but it doesn't have to be boring. The chemistry between the leads is in no way passionate, so it was hard to "get in to the mood". The actors on the other hand, do a very good job. Patricia Clarkson as Kingsley's fuckbuddy is also very good, in fact maybe the strongest performer in the whole movie.

If you're still hesitating about watching 'Elegy', here is a strong reason why you should watch it: Penelope Cruz's breasts. Nuff said. Why you shouldn't see it? If you dislike dialogue based drama and find it highly impossible to get through the first 30 minutes without snoozing to Lalaland, don't bother.
Red L

July 24, 2010
There is more to this movie than you see on the surface. It is not a typical May-December romance. Ben Kingsley's character seeks out younger women as conquests, but doesn't quite know what to do with Penelope Cruz's character when there actually is true love between them.
Lewis C

April 18, 2010
Elegy tries to be one of those profoud, statement movies, that makes you look at life differently after you've seen it. It may even succeed in this aim for some of it's viewers. I wouldn't know. I'm too uninterested in these kinds of movies to give them much of a chance. Elegy isn't bad by any means, but I couldn't have enjoyed a movie very much if I kept checking to see how long it would be before it was over. It just wasn't for me.
Nicki M

November 19, 2008
Very moving film, even if I did spend most of it wanting to throttle the stupid main character. Certainly not the most likeable character in a film - older man who should know better, chasing younger girl and being possessive about her while at the same time seeing someone else himself, and not being honest with either woman. It really was true to life with the arrogance of the particular type of man who has had his pick of many women over the years and thinks nothing has changed. On the plus side, he does redeem himself by the end, but it's possibly too little too late. I also....SPOILER... just love how he berates Patricia Clarkson's character for never having had a child, when he did himself, and stuffed up - yeah, like having a child makes you an adult. I don't think so!
I would have to say this movie really works and all of the cast in it do very well and are convincing. Whether or not you would enjoy this probably does relate in some way to your age. I think someone over 30 may appreciate it more than say a teenager, just because it does deal with things a younger person may not have felt or experienced yet, and they may find it somewhat slow.
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

February 6, 2010
Poetic paint drying salvaged by luminous Cruz.
maxthesax
maxthesax

December 10, 2009
An intelligent script performed stunningly by not only Kinglsly but Cruz and, in a minor role, the always reliable Patricia Clark. Dennis Hopper also does a nice turn as a fellow academian.

The central theme is a tome to ageing, and how a man who still believes himself vibrant has to confront the perceptions and preconceived notions of others. He worries, and ultimately dooms the only true love he has found by not being able to overcome that hurdle; which is shocking considering his intelligence and otherwise worldly view.

Cruz is taken by this man 30 years her elder, and it's not due to some puppy love or nievete - some seem to forget that she's not just a college student - she worked as a para-legal before she decided to enter college. No, she sees something in him and falls in love with him, not for what he represents, but for the man himself. I think that in many cases she knows him better than he knows himself. That he ultimately lets her down by overthinking things is the nexus where the back third of the film has its few missteps, but the New Year's eve ending, with her coming back into his life after two years, while seeming contrived and a bit cliche, allows Kingsley to attone for his mistake and find redemption for his soul in the final line "I'm here".
Stefanie C

July 9, 2009
i really enjoy phillip roth's books with david ganesh. however, i didn't care for this movie. dennis hopper as a confidante is disturbing. i don't like watching old people have sex.
gor41
gor41

April 8, 2009
Fascinating study of love, lust, aging and death - no really. Kingsley plays an initially unlikeably aloof poet professor whose brash exterior and ordered existence is disrupted by the beautiful young Cruz. This relationship forms the core of the film but an impressive supporting cast flesh out Kingsley's other relationships. A thought provoking moving script is the icing on the cake.
puffchunk
puffchunk

March 25, 2009
Another "getting old sucks" movie, but one that as usual, has some redeming ending where they all learn something. Not a bad film at all, especially if you're into Penelope Cruz. Ben Kingsley is a stud.
ebs90
ebs90

January 16, 2009
Isabel Coixet's 'Elegy', an adaptation of Philip Roth's novel The Dying Animal, is austere and snobbish at times and warm and relatable at others. Proof of which is no other than Woody Allen, films about intellectuals who 'educate' and sleep with beautiful girls are not scarce in Hollywood and beyond. This story is different. Thanks to Ben Kingsley's impeccable performance, Elegy has a captivating depth to it. It's a small story, and yet Kingsley makes it feel immense, only further confirming why he's one of the best and most respected international actors.

Kingsley plays David Kepesh, a professor, writer, and literary critic who has always, and wishes to continue, lived without committments -namely, has always slept around without forming any bonds with women. He got married, and got out just as quickly. But he isn't a bad man: he acknowledges his own impossibility to settle with one partner, and understands how people can misunderstand that. He has a certain regard for people. You can see it in his eyes. Yes, his practices are undoubtedly mysoginistic, but he is honest about them like someone who simply doesn't know better. Although I didn't like this character, I liked him. Kingsley's voice, his eyes, build and destroy David. He's perfect. David then meets Consuela, a beautiful Cuban student that he simply wants to sleep with... but, after a date to the theater, and after the first encounter, he can't help but asking her back over and over again. They discuss things, they go places. His determination to obey his lust -what feels natural to him- is still there. He falls in love with her, and she with him. Because he can't bear the feeling that this time he could, he would be willing to consider a future with Consuela, his fear pushes her away. Once again he's alone. And then I won't tell you the rest of the story :)

Elegy's great focus is the corporeal aspect of human beings. The characters' souls shine through their exterior thanks to Cruz and Kingsley alone. Paraphrasing what David's friend George, movingly played by Dennis Hopper, suggests to him one evening, it's of primary importance to look past the outside in order to really know a person. Elegy often ponders on the importance that David gives to the body, to lust, and that may drive him away from truly identifying that what he loves is what comes through the pores of Consuela. He is also very concerned about the decay of his body, the source of most of his happiness at the end of the day. He is self-conscious about his age difference with Consuela, about her preferring younger, more vigorous bodies to his, utterly ignoring that there might be something else to her affection.

As I said before, much of the power of the film resides in the strength and creativity of tthe actors. They do great things with their characters. Coixet is very inobtrusive, refraining from going overboard with unnecessary visual rambling or stylizing the argument too much -because it could've been just sappy. Elegy reaches a beautiful equilibrium. Maybe that can make it too passive for some, but I thought the coldness benefited it.

The film ends in a dramatic, although slightly optimistic note. Maybe there's room for reflection for the characters, but by the end of the film this story is no longer only about them. It's a dialogue, directed straight to you and requesting a response as the credits roll.
Dan S

December 22, 2008
A well-plotted, thoughtful story concerning a literary professor who seduces one of his students into bed. Ben Kingsley is not only one of my favorite actors, but arguably one of the best actors of the last thirty years, as his rich portrayal of a man falling in love should nab him an Oscar nomination. Cruz is just as good, this is undoubtedly her best performance, Oscar worthy as well. Great support from Dennis Hopper (who should be in more stuff), Patricia Clarkson, and Peter Sarsgaard (surprisingly). While the ending doesn't pack the emotional punch its going for, at least for me, its length (108 minutes) is an ideal time for a story like this.
Alice S

November 7, 2008
Contrived "love of a good woman" story made better by three-dimensional performances. As with Abre Los Ojos, Cruz's character is once again the beautiful Siren/goddess devoid of personality.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

September 4, 2008
George O'Hearn: "Beautiful women are invisible; we're so dazzled by the outside that we never make it inside."

Charismatic professor David Kepesh (Ben Kingsley) glories in the pursuit of adventurous female students but never lets any woman get too close. When gorgeous Consuela Castillo (PenÚlope Cruz) enters his classroom, however, his protective veneer dissolves. Her raven-haired beauty both captivates and unsettles him.

Even if Kepesh declares her body a perfect work of art, Consuela is more than an object of desire. She has a strong sense of herself and an emotional intensity that challenges his preconceptions. Kepesh's need for Consuela becomes an obsession, but ultimately his jealous fantasies of betrayal drive her away. Shattered, Kepesh faces up to the ravages of time, immersing himself in work and confronting the loss of old friends. Then, two years later, Consuela comes back into his life?with an urgent, desperate request that will change everything.

Review
Elegy is an excellent film. I've been never really a fan of Ben Kingsley but I've seen him in countless films before but I just didn't stick with his movie career. But now, with Elegy, I can say that I'm already a fan of his. Ben's performance is one for the books, it was powerful, intense and the chemistry between him and Penelope Cruz's Consuela is surprisingly amazing. The character development between the two is told in a touching, beautiful way by director Isabel Coixet and I'd like to think that what they had is more than a carnal affair. It was a romantic friendship and they were there for each other in times of dire need. Penelope Cruz gives the best performance yet whose acting slate also includes heavy set dramas like Volver and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. This easily makes her one of the best actresses of her generation. Elegy is an erotic tale with a sense of beauty and brilliance. A must see.
William S

August 15, 2008
Initially I really didn't like this film and the central character I found quite annoying. A man fast approaching old-age and still espousing hedonism and easy sex? I wanted to scream "grow up!". But by the end of the film I was completely won over and, to my shame, I cried like a baby!
Both Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz give very credible and moving performances. They are assisted very ably by the secondary actors too. Patricia Clarkson - looking quite stunning, smoking in bed with 60s Denueve Hair or being seductive in just underwear and killer heals. And a curmudgeonly turn by Dennis Hopper who, rather against type, is quite warm and cuddly.
It's good to see a film that can give us flawed imperfect people and doesn't manipulate us into judging them - instead of the usual nice fluffy types that can render this kind of film mawkish and sentimental. It also makes a change to not be patronised with a tidy ending (whether happy or sad). Not only are things left quite open about the characters fate but also with questions left unanswered. A bit like life really.
Julie B

August 6, 2008
Extremely well acted. All the relationships felt very true except the main one, which was hard to fathom.
Mark A

April 10, 2009
Incredibly sad film about a college professor, David Kepesh (Kingsley), who cannot believe his incredible luck with Consuela (Cruz), a former student. The music was austere and set the tone for the film, highlighting Prof. Kepesh's isolation from all meaningful human contact. His best friend, George (Hopper), a poet and colleague, gives him relationship advice that only reinforces his sense of not deserving what he has. His long-time lover, Carolyn (Clarkson), also weakens his ability to believe in what he and Consuela share. A terrific cast, a heartbreaking story of a May-December romance, and the always present uncertainty of the path that true love takes make this a film well worth the time spent. Melancholy, yes, but also a spark of hope. I am once again impressed with the smoldering beauty of Ms Cruz.