44% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Take Reviews

Remi L

August 14, 2010
When I first read the premise for this film, I thought I was looking at some kinda caper flick where a bunch of working class stiffs band together to get one over on their corporate employers. I got one part right: the film is about a violent hijacking, but the film focuses more on the tragic aftermath. People are murdered in cold blood, and those who walk away with their lives are damaged physically and psychically. I admire John Leguizamo for not just doing comedy, but for taking on more emotionally devastating roles. He and Rosie Perez brought a realness to their characters. It was like sitting in on a family destroyed by a random act of violence. I can't really critique Tyrese's performance, because his character felt so one-dimensional. All he brought to the table was the quintessential villain with no redeeming qualities. You don't really feel anything for him, and I don't know if that was the intent of the film or if Gibson needs to work on his depth. Either way: kudos to Leguizamo. Great performance.
Brody M

May 7, 2010
Im not a fan of John Leguizamo so I didnt expect to like The Take at all but it turned out to be a pretty good movie
Ed K

July 19, 2010
Decent acting, and okay story apart for the inter-gangster-fighting subplot. This movie succeeds, however, because of the stylized direction that gives it a grittily emotional and realistic feel.
March 25, 2010
"Leguizamo probably gives his best performance of his career, he just knock this one out the yard. Supporting players were great especially Rosie Perez & the good Tyrese."
July 10, 2008
I'm surprised to see Rosie Perez doing something these days. I was wondering how Felix was gonna prove his innocence after all that happened to him
joshalvarez9
April 14, 2008
great movie with stand out performances by leguizamo and perez. a tight script with just enough grey areas to keep it interesting. there could have been better use of tyrese gibson as the movie's villan, but as far as criticisms go, that's about all i got.
October 3, 2012
Good drama although the Latino stereotype it's something that independent films should use less. Just to made a change for instance.
March 27, 2011
Good LA noir film by the director of 'The Lincoln Lawyer."
Mike B.
December 31, 2010
Loved every second of it
enohp660
December 20, 2010
I enjoyed this movie. It doesn't rank as one of my top ten flicks, but it's more than just watchable. There's a lot of raw emotion in this movie, especially between Rosie Perez and John Leguizamo. The meltdown of their marriage is very believable. Also liked most of the music. This is just a nice, low budget drama that most people should be able to relate to.
Alex B.
October 5, 2010
It's got solid action scenes and drama and the acting is simply fantastic
Paul E.
March 20, 2010
Awesome Budget action movie!
M Diddy
January 19, 2010
This movie has Oscar desperation written all over it, but fails to deliver on every front. It's incredibly boring, predictable, and... did I mention boring? Interesting story, but falls well short of execution.
Aimee J.
March 22, 2009
I don't usually enjoy action thriller films, but this one was an exception. Great pacing and camera work. The casting was on point; especially Perez who gives an outstanding performance. The relationship between Perez and Leguizamo was highly charged and authentic.
The chase scene at the end of the film was not believable and seemed inconsistent with the pacing of the rest of the film but overall I recommend the film.
oldschoolpics
May 24, 2008
"The Take" is one to watch for sure. This gritty indie movie succeeds in telling the story of a wronged man, armored car driver Felix Delgado of spanish neighborhood Boyle Heights in Los Angeles, played expertly by John Leguizamo, who is framed by bad guy thug Tyrese in an armored car robbery. After being shot and left for dead (in one of the film's strongest scenes) Felix's life is not the same as he attempts to heal physically and mentally from the ordeal - all while enduring the indignity of being a prime suspect in the robbery. Leguizamo gives Felix depth and creates a character here who's conflicts are worn on his sleeve as are his attempts to deal with them.

Also strong are Rosie Perez as Felix's wife (possibly her strongest screen performance in years), and the always good Bobby Cannavale as the cop who doesn't really believe Felix is guilty. The film has a very Cassavettes-like quality to it, in that it has a a palpable energy and uneasiness to the story telling that match the anxiety Felix feels as his life unravels under the false scrutiny from the FBI and the physical affects of his headshot wound. Director Furman seems to have wisely approached this film as a cautionary tale, giving his audience enough perspective to make up their own minds about Felix, and allowing the verite style to sufficiently keep you on edge as you go through the movie. Clearly not a studio film despite it's excellent technical qualities and release by Sony, the film does have a polished feel to it in it's apparently deliberate attempt to be unpolished. The ending comes up a bit short compared to the rest of the film but it does satisfy as Felix gets his life back.

This one apparently had a short theatrical life but Leguizamo's TV popularity should allow a long run on cable where more people will cozy up to this interesting, well-made film then would ever trek to a theater to see it. Definitely check this one out.
jazza923
May 21, 2008
Rosie Perez's terrific performance makes this one worth seeing. John Leguizamo is fine as well. This is a low budget film, and it shows how poerful a movie can be without much cash. Good story, believably done. Taut direction.