Movies Like Northanger Abbey

Northanger Abbey Reviews

thmtsang
thmtsang

June 1, 2013
Catherine is a hopeless romantic with a vivid imagation that gets her in all sorts of trouble.
Cynthia S

September 4, 2010
Not the best Jane Austen film that I have ever seen. It was a nice movie, though. Just not very memorable....
jjnxn
jjnxn

May 5, 2008
The acting was fine, the production was fine and the directing was fine but it was missing that spark that would have made it memorable.
Wildaly M

October 17, 2008
This was an absolutely lovely film adaptation of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. Granted I've never read the book, but that is not needed in order to enjoy these wonderful characters. What really makes this movie great are the two lead actors. They're very good and have great chemistry. Most of the secondary characters do not shine as much, but the actress playing Catherine aunt's is absolutely hilarious. I've watched this a couple of times now and cannot get enough of it.
Nicki M

January 21, 2008
I'm not normally into period movies (or Jane Austen for that matter!), but this actually was quite decent apart from the abrupt ending. Felicity Jones is lovely as Catherine, and I really liked the dream sequences - they made it something a bit more interesting than what you would normally expect from one of these movies. I have not read the book, so I could not say if it was a good adaptation or not, but it is good as a tv movie.
Dannielle A

July 28, 2012
I agree with jay n... everything was fine: the acting, production, directing, cinematography, etc. It was just missing a little something that would make it memorable. Perhaps it was only the story. I think of all of them, this is the lesser of the Austen stories.
meril l

August 11, 2009
Charming though rushed. Felicity and JJ are great choices; JJ's adorable smile reminds me of Lee Pace, which is always a good thing! Good ol' Andrew Davies wrote the script, and you can't go wrong with him, though 84 minutes wasn't quite enough... this is why they make miniseries most of the time!
Janice :

June 20, 2008
The novel by the same name might possibly be the dullest work of Jane Austen's, but this film is well worth a try if you are a fan of the genre. Really good!
January 25, 2011
Wonderful Austen adaption! Considering that this story is considered one of Austen's least compelling, they did an excellent job of bringing it to life. The casting is perfect and my only complaint would be that I wish it were longer. Some of the ending was rushed, and some if the deceptions could have been hashed out a bit more. I guess wanting more isn't the worst thing you can say about a film!
Hamee
September 5, 2009
I was a little afraid that Austen wouldn't let Mr Tilney and Catherine be together. It would have been a very sad event if that happened.
April 13, 2009
I genuinely enjoyed this movie. I didn't see any of the big box office draw stars but the actors and actresses herein did a damn fine job with this.

I have not read the book (yet) so I can't say if it is true to the book but I know it's an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes and it ends well too.

It's not exactly a chick flick but it is something that I think would appeal more to lovers of british film and of literature. I loved it!
Katywhamper
March 25, 2008
At of all the Jane Austen movies, I think its one of the best! though fairly predictable...:D :D absolutely love it!
February 15, 2008
While Isabella is insufferable and Catherine tolerable, Mr. Tilney is altogether worth the hour and a half.
January 21, 2008
I loved it, but that's mostly because I like Jane Austen, and I love J.J. Feild. My favorite (so far) of the ITV/BBC (however it works, or whatever it is) Jane Austen adaptions.
November 7, 2007
I thought this would have been a great movie if Andrew Davies hadnt added some "sensuality" to it. The acting and overall script were very well done.
pearlthequeen
July 17, 2007
Just plain bad adaptation! Not appropriate for family viewing! I cannot believe they could do that to Jane Austen's masterpiece!
Fiona C.
June 10, 2014
Nicely done period piece.
September 9, 2013
A nice bit of fluff with likeable leads
June 1, 2013
A missed opportunity to touch hearts and minds.