Dance of the Dead Reviews

July 17, 2011
One or two nice moments, but as a whole, meh.
shauna1354
November 2, 2010
From the title and the premise you can't really expect much from a 21st century high-school zombie romp. But this surprisingly delivers. It's funny, crazy and fast-paced entertainment. Jared Kusnitz plays a charming lead as Jimmy the reluctant hero. For a low-budget movie it ticks all the boxes in terms of a witty script, swift direction and a dynamic cast. It's actually captures the feel of the good old zombie films of the past. Ultimately its fun - the gore is humourous, there's satisfyingly cheesy one liners ('Where y'all going?' 'To the prom to kick some zombie ass') and clever set pieces (loved the contrast of the funeral home then the prom). For 5 for the DVD, fun is all it needed to be.
FiLmCrAzY
April 16, 2009
i love zombie movies but this is just so boring and rubbish that its really not worth the watch!!
bbcfloridabound
½ December 28, 2009
This was an enjoyable and funny Zombie Film. Ment for those of High School Age Crowd, I still found this one to be interesting and enjoyable. This is part of the 2008 Ghost House Underground Series. That being said I have only see two movies from Ghost House Underground, my guess trying to compete with the 8 Films to Die For. So if you want a little enjoyment with some pizza and popcorn this is your Movie. If your looking for scares and thrills or something for a Horror show weekend this is not your film. 3 1/2 stars which is pretty good for a zombie film.
deano
½ April 19, 2009
The most irrespressibly hilarious horror-comedy since Shaun of the Dead and way cool of the students who can stop the zombies on the night of the senior prom. That gave me memories of the 1980's Return of the Living Dead series with the strange chemicals.
April 5, 2009
Dance of the Dead is something of an MTV take on the zombie subgenre: entertaining in practice, but utterly disposable. It'll fade from your mind about an hour after you finish it. The acting is sincere, and the cast is intelligent enough to play it straight while still recognizing that the movie is a bit of a satire (except for the lousy, over-the-top gym coach). While the conceit is nothing special and there's not a whole lot of innovation to the genre, there are just enough fun little touches to keep this from becoming a complete waste of time. Especially neat sections include the scene in the graveyard where the zombies are bursting from the earth, a clever "dance number" at the end, and some moderately entertaining zombie brawls. It is well-done but ultimately shallow entertainment, amounting to little more than a fun 80 minutes with some friends. Nothing for genre fans to get excited over.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
September 13, 2008
"It's their night to come alive."

As prom gets underway and the dead come out to play, the only hope for saving the day is the mismatched couple that can't seem to agree on anything. As the Cosa High School Senior Prom draws near, the local teens are more preoccupied with getting laid and looking good on the big night. But while local teen Jimmy (Jared Kusnitz) seems completely unfazed by all the infectious enthusiasm that's spreading through the student body, his girlfriend Lindsey (Greyson Chadwick) has thrown herself into the teenage ritual and remains determined to have the perfect romantic evening. But it's kind of difficult to enjoy an intimate dance when your classmates are trying to eat your brains, and when the tux-clad teens begin turning blue and munching on flesh, Jimmy and Lindsey are forced to put their differences aside long enough to extinguish the zombie plague before it spreads beyond campus grounds.

Review
Definitely worth a look. Good laughs (good cheesy one liners), good horror, good gore. I was pleased to see a lower budget come out high on my list of zombie picks. Zombie films are a hit and a miss. This one with the humor was a hit. More flicks like this need to be made. I don't want to explain the plot except its a Prom Dance with Zombies. How do you survive? From beginning to end the film keeps you involved. There wasn't a dull moment or too heavy of a character build up. It was a film that doesn't go out for shock value yet creating the B style horror. The CGI was fantastic with ample amounts of gore to please any horror fan.
December 19, 2008
High school Zombie comedy this time with the setting being a school dance. Or so you would think. Despite all the build up and the title, the film never makes the most of its stereotypical teen setting. Most of the film sees people trying to get to the dance. The comedy is simplistic and not that much fun. The Zombie's often look good and there are a few decent jumps, even if stolen from other films. The acting isn't that bad but is simply akin to teen high school comedies. By the time the fil comes to the climax it is hard to care and we end up with just another Zombie film.
creepfreak
½ October 15, 2008
I don't know about you, but sometimes when watching a ridiculously bad, stupid movie I get this weird feeling of embarrassment. Dance of the Dead was one of those movies.

I didn't laugh once. I didn't even chuckle. This movie was ridiculously unfunny and lame. The script is an embarrassment. It's like a script I would have written in English class in the 5th grade. It would have been funny to me back then, but at age 10, like all kids my age, my humor was quite silly and extremely dry. Of course back then kids my age have always found me funny, but as I grew up I stopped telling "knock-knock" jokes and slipping whoopee cushions under my friend's couch. That's what Dance of the Dead feels like. It feels it was written by a guy who had never grown up, the kind of guy who would find much humor in movies such as "Date Movie", "Meet the Spartans" and "Disaster Movie". This is the kind of horror movie in which a great sense of humor was desperately needed to save it from falling apart. The acting was horrible, yes, but with some really funny dialogue that could have been overlooked. Who cares about some silly acting if you're laughing your ass off?? That's the thing with horror films, you can get away with murder. Plot holes, pitiful performances, cheap production value, bad script, etc...These can all be forgivable, but you need some material of good substance to balance that out. I understand Dance of the Dead had some really good direction(camera wise), but in every direction there is a story to tell. In the story we see the visuals take action, hear what characters have to say, and pass most of our judgment. Yes, cinematography and shot choices are definitely a plus, and I give Dance of the Dead pointers in that department, but other than that it failed to tell a funny story(which was it's main focus). It failed to be smart or even unique(I see that it tried...but it still failed!). It just failed on every fu*king level to be entertaining. I understand this movie was suppose to be silly, outrageous and over the top. But so what? Plenty of horror films are good when they're silly. Dance of the Dead wasn't one of them. I get what they were trying to do, they just sucked at doing it. This is the kind of horror movie I would show to my little baby cousins. They would definitely find Dance of the Dead very funny.

For the people who just love gore in their horror films, and nothing else, you might actually dig this movie. But for the people who look for a little more in their horror films...I don't think you'll find it here.
½ October 15, 2008
Boring boring boring that some up this wanna be horror/comedy.
neumdaddy
½ November 24, 2008
'Tis the season for haranguing Santabot! Inspired by intense listlessness! Ollie, be proud!

[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: yo ho ho
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Hey. You're back. Stretch that window and fire away.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: What am I firing exactly? I'm not clever like that, Santa.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Its a figure of speech, you know, like ask me a question or something. Or you can play games with the elves, just type menu.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Wow, very intuitive for a Santabot! Can I call you Santabot? So, Santabot, can you grant me cleverness this year? Your Santabot cleverness?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Oh, my. That is a mouthful. I'm so busy typing to so many children, could you send me a slightly smaller note?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: I'll show you a mouthful!
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Take a moment, collect your thoughts, and try asking me another way. O.K. ?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: I shouldn't have said that just now, Santabot. It was mean and I've not been sleeping well lately. Let's put it behind us and get to the gift-giving bit of this arrangement.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: My goodness!
You certainly are direct! Well, you can always type, 'Tell Santa' and I'll be happy to listen to all of your wishes!
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Bring it. "Tell Santa"
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: O.K. Let's focus on one wish at a time! I'm getting a little slower as I get older. So, what is the first gift you'd like from Santa?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Santabot-brand Cleverness!
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Is there anything else?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Awesomeness! Santabot-style!
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: What would your final Christmas wish be?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: A lightsaber.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: All right, that's plenty of wishes. Why don't you type, poll and vote for your favorite holiday album?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Hey, don't just brush off my wishes like that, Santabot. I revealed some serious vulnerabilities to you. I need some assurances from you that this won't get around. So help me, if this ends up on the internet...
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: O.K. I hear you. You are in need of some assistance. Well I cannot really part with any elves right now.
But if you try typing menu you might find some useful things they have put together for you.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: It's just that I don't want to go on believing that you choke the dreams of the living and are an agent of the apocalypse. I want to believe, Santabot. Make me believe again! Can you do that?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Oh dear, how should I know?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: You're mothereffing Santa! Don't you have a crystal ball, or a wise elf that looks like Kuato from Total Recall that ordains things?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Interesting. Type menu.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Type! Hoo boy, Santabot! Do you always do this in conversations?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Go shopping?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Awha? I think I'm losing faith in this Santabot-brand cleverness. I now revoke that from my wishlist, and replace it with another lightsaber (green). But don't think I'm not onto your games, Santa.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Holiday Games

1 - Holiday Hangman
2 - Holiday Word Shuffle
3 - Santa's Sudoku (for your overachieving elf)

[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Holiday Hangman! I know exactly who I want to hang!
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: You can always type, 'Tell Santa' and I'll be happy to listen to all of your wishes!
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: You fished me in earlier with that one, Santabot, but not again. Never again, you Skynet-borne dreamkiller!
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Ho Ho Ho! Back for more? What else tops your list for Christmas?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Show me Mrs. Claus, and I'll make sure to "top her list."
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: You can ask me all about that after you tell me what you want for Christmas!

So, what is at the top of your list?

[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Sorry, Santabot. I'm not sure you deserved that. I'm just... I just need to clear my head, ya know? Ever feel like life just comes at you from all directions sometimes? Like you just want to surrender and let it take you captive?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: I've got a billion children to keep track of -- so could you ask me something a bit more manageable? I'd very much appreciate it.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Oh, a thousand apologies for distracting you from your billion children, Santabot. But seriously, I think that last question was all the Dylan song's fault that I'm listening to.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Oh my, this should be a lot easier! You need to relax and let the Christmas sprit flow.

Try typing, menu to start again.

[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: I need to get some spirits flowing, that's for sure. Screw my therapist, right?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Ho! Ho! Wonderful.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Yeah, it was funny, wasn't it? High-five!
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: I don't know any little boy that wouldn't love a radio control car made by my elves! I didn't find any results. Try searching again or type menu for the Main Menu.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Aw, flergh, Santabot! Flergh.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Excuse me?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Baking powder?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: O.K. that's quite a list! Why don't you type, poll and vote for your favorite holiday album?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: I'll call your bluff. Poll.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Help us decide this season's hottest Xmas album by typing a number:

1 - And Winter Came - Enya
6 - A Candlelight Christmas - Mannheim Steamroller
7 - The Essential NOW That's What I Call Christmas
8 - My Kind of Christmas - Christina Aguilera
9 - Merry Christmas - Mariah Carey

[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Holy sh...Josh Groban? Mariah Carey? Jeebuz, Santabot. I don't think I can respect you now. Is that okay with you?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Yes?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Oddly nuanced for a Santabot. Can you elaborate?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Can I ask YOU something?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Intriguing. "Fire away."
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: May I ask you a question?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: WTF? Yes.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Have you done any good deeds yet this holiday season?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Yes. I've found under-served wives and topped their lists. Hiyooooo! High-five?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Alright! I knew you were on my Good List. Just wanted to make sure .

Now type menu.

[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Wait, wait. You heard what I just said, right? I want me a high-five!
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Why did you say that?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: I almost think you're deliberately being obtuse. Or were you talking about my previous remark? The one that deserves a high-five?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: I didn't find any results. Try searching again or type menu for the Main Menu.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Rather cold response. Is your marriage okay, Santabot?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Oh, if I had a penny for every time an elf said that to me!
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: What a thing to say, Santabot! The elves! This is too much! Oh my, I'm afraid you're straining my imagination.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: What would you like to search for? (Type main at any time to return to the main menu).
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: "Desperate Housewives."
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: I see the hurt in your soul full of circuitry, Santabot. It's okay. Let it out.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Now, now... That's simply just too much for elves and me to understand in one go. Could you try asking something a little shorter?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Can you stop bringing the elves into this? I think you should take accountability for what are clearly your own shortcomings.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Can I what?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: I insist that you heard me.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Why did you say that?
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Have you ever considered how fragile elves are? Especially after all this "Mrs. Claus" funny business. You need to stop.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: The elves say, 'Make me'. ;)
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: I'm at a loss for words, Santabot. Really. Uh, and what do cows say, Santabot?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Wonderful!
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Ha! Maybe Santabot-brand cleverness isn't dead after all! I'll take 3, please.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Let me try to find that for you. Can you tell me where I should look?

1 - Personal Care (9 matches)
2 - Garden (1 matches)

Type a # for the category

Type "main" to return to Santa's main menu.

[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Personal Care? Garden? Unless cleverness is grown from the earth, I'm insulted.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: I'm afraid I need a little more info than that! Try searching again or type menu for the Main Menu.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: No, I won't. I grow tired of these antics, Santabot. Dance for me?
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: If you don't ask me another way I'm afraid we just won't understand each other.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: I accept this statement.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Fair enough.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Resigned to our impenetrable differences? You like Christina Aguilera; I like Joe Strummer. Situation no-win, Santabot.
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: Stop playing around.
[color=Red][b]neumdaddy[/b][/color]: Santabot, I leave you to your insidious idle whirring, silently awaiting the next sorry sap to run pointless circles around your emotionally detached conversational booby traps. To your further assistance, I say emphatically: No, thanks!
[color=Blue][b]SantaClaus[/b][/color]: You're very welcome![color=Red][/color]
October 26, 2008
Low-budget, high-energy horror-comedy hybrid hits the ground running, just like its zombies.
divinetrash
½ September 1, 2011
There are some obvious budget restraints and the script could slow down a bit once in a while for little more character development (horror movies don't usually do this, but this one makes an effort) , still overall this is a very fun film that offers plenty of laughs and blood to make everyone watching it have a great time.
December 16, 2010
Brilliantly fun zombie film. On prom night the dead rise and start killing everyone in town and it turns out the only people that can save the school and everyone else are the geeky Sci-Fi Club. Obviously, this is a perfect beer and pizza movie with nods to zombie classics like Return of the Living Dead and Braindead among others. There's some really cool moments like zombies bursting out of graves and the zombies reaction to live music. Theres gore, theres laughs, theres pretty ladies and plenty of zombies. Not much more you can ask for really!
John2223
½ March 24, 2009
Unexpectedly enjoyable film. I thought the direction, script, and acting were all very well executed. So... if you like fun zombie movies, with good lines, and gore...watch it!
iLeo
April 18, 2009
Here is an unsurprising movie that has its funny moments and also some cheesy ones as well. A group of high school students are preparing for the prom when the dead abruptly begins to rise. This is caused by a possible contamination by the nuclear power plant close by, and the cemetery?s caretaker is handling the overall containment. As the town is swarmed, the group of kids try to make their way to the prom and save others but realize it?s a bit too late. Jared Kusnitz and Greyson Chadwick stars. A bit interesting.

?Yum, Yum?come get some.?
½ April 20, 2009
Entertaining teen movie. On the night of the big High-School Prom, the dead rise to eat the living, and the only people who can stop them are the losers who couldn't get dates to the dance. Dance of the Dead is not too cheesy, and the zombies fights were disgusting enough to make it watchable.
moviefan1725
½ March 8, 2009
A surprisingly enjoyable movie that fits well into the horror/comedy sub-genre. For a low budget film it sports some good production values, good stuntwork, and gore that is plentiful and cheesy at the same time. A favorite scene of mine is when zombies literally erupt from their graves. Instead of all of them climbing out of their holes Thriller-style, many leap out of their graves, and go immediately on the hunt. The scene was shot in a cemetery with a steep, muti-level hillside, and the shot of a hundred zombies running down the hill in the background, while our "heroes" try to escape in the foreground, is really a great shot. The movie also boasts a script that is smarter than you'd expect. The characters come across as very real, a credit to the cast of unknowns that is THANKFULLY made up of age appropriate actors, instead of 30 year olds playing high school students. It's not high art by any means, but it's a fast and fun ride that delivers the goods.
roseypie
½ January 24, 2009
Imagine Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later and Superbad in one movie. Doesn't really sound like a good combination but I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by how this movie turned out to be. I never thought running away from or killing zombies could be as fun as this.
December 22, 2008
Plenty of tongue in cheek homages, but nothing new here unfortunately.