Blackout

three stars!
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

October 25, 2011
Great cast, well acted to spite the predictable storyline
Nicely shot (aside from several superfluous roamining camera shots of the elevator shaft and empty apartment building) and edited for the most part.
No great surprises...but not a complete waste of time.
_kelly .

August 22, 2010
Not too hard to figure out who the killer is. Spent too much time (and money) on elaborate shots of the elevator shaft and surrounding building. Built the characters using flashbacks that felt randomly placed. Not very tense for a "trapped in a small space" movie then for the final act, it kicks into a gory creep-out overdrive. For horror fans, you might want to just skip the first 2/3 of the film and skip to the bloody meat of it, because that's where it gets "fucked up" serial killer style.

"Most Fucked Up" Highlight: flashback of the killer torturing and raping a beaten, stabbed, and sliced victim who is paralyzed but can feel everything
Leigh R

September 10, 2008
Eh! Creepy a bit... not intense enough.
EnigmaticHallucination
August 12, 2009
So it has an odd opening. not really sure what to expect...Then I'm watching past the opening credits and for a split second I was like "Holy shit it's Tony Almeida " from 24...but then the camera pans around and no. It wasn't him. *sigh*

Flashes of back story to fill the gaps as the people sit in an elevator awaiting their fate. The story is slow as any movie that does back story like this will be. The story takes it's time building and really lacks the pull to keep you interested. However watching the characters break down is expected but it's not a surprise which one is the psycho. Really rather depressingly slow. It's like it wanted to be SAW and failed. Epically. I mean it tried to talk a big game, kept waiting for something seriously messed up to happen but it's all build up again. I guess with only 3 people on a elevator the body count is going to be drastically low even if the killer started doing it right off the bat. When someone finally dies it was spiffy but damn it took so long to get there that I was less than interested.
DrLappos
DrLappos

March 6, 2009
I really enjoyed this one even if it did go from 0 to 100mph in about ten seconds. One minute they are stuck in a lift the next they are offing one another in rather unpleasant ways. But seriously for a film shot the majority of the time in the confies of a lift it was excellent. Gillens portrayal of the slightly unhinged docotr after the 'suicide' of his wife is great.
October 6, 2012
A decent little thriller, Black Out concerns a trio of individuals who are stuck in an elevator. Of course, one of them is a serial killer who brutally slaughters young women. Well-acted and somewhat stylish, Black-Out is competently made but just doesn't quite deliver on the tension needed to really sustain such a film.
juliantoepfer
October 6, 2011
How bad did M. Night Shamyalan's 'Devil' rip this one off?? Not a perfect movie by any means, but I thought this was a pretty effective and suspenseful film.

Goes out of its way to develop the characters, which is something that most thriller/horror movies avoid like the plague. Pretty mundane scenery is elevated by good use of lighting and camera angles. The story becomes a little static at times, but it is broken up by alot of flashbacks.

Pacing becomes a problem as the first hour or so is built up very slowly, and then it plunges into complete craziness. I guess I fail to see how being trapped in an elevator for 30 hours is long enough to make everyone revert to their baser and primal instincts. Its obvious who the killer is from the get go, and there are no other major curve balls the film has to offer.

Despite this, it still manages to be a pretty decent thriller. Just don't go into it expecting too much.
HeroPK
April 23, 2010
It seemed promising from the opening credits. The best thing about this movie is the art direction (very Fincher like), and why this got bumped up to a 3 star review. The acting felt stilted and off putting in some spots. The last half hour is pretty good, but the problem is that there are many more movies that have done stories like this better. I would watch another movie with the same director since the art direction was so good.
daviddiirocks
February 24, 2010
02/24/10
Very annoying movie with constant yelling and irritating loud noises. Also very sadistic even for this type of movie. I usually enjoy horror and graphic movies but this seemed to go too far. I did find however that I could not stop watching it to see what would happen so I gave it an extra star for this factor only. I would think this movie would be highly offensive to women. Thumbs down!
Shaqswife
August 23, 2009
Three random strangers are stuck in an elevator for several long hours with a lot of flashbacks to provide more details on the characters. The twists are weak and I kept wanting more. Basically this movie was just bleh.
Ken D

July 14, 2009
A movie that reminds me of the horrible Penny Dreadful. The premise of the story seems so promising, but when it comes right down to it, this movie is plain old boring. The acting wasn't too bad and some of the flash back made this almost tolerable, but this is still a very boring movie with not much going on.
March 12, 2009
Not what I was expecting, and not all that great.
I really like Amber Tamblyn, so hoped that it make it worth watching.
I did give it an "OK", but it's nothing to run out and search for.
Little Dedo
October 21, 2013
Nothing special or scary about this movie....
bill s.
September 30, 2013
Just an empty shell of a movie.......a little movie that wished it were more.
August 5, 2012
a REALLY BAD MOVIE!!!
Dave J
February 16, 2012
Thursday, February 16, 2012

(2007) Black Out
THRILLER/ HORROR

Saw "Black Out" as two words and not as one word which is a straight-to-rental thriller flick centering on three people stuck in an elevator, showcasing flashbacks about each persons purpose about why it's important for them not to get stuck there too long, except that one of them may be a demented psychopath! Good idea but there were times that the film felt that it had to waste viewers time by showing meaningless jibberish since it had to be a two hour film. Like it was originally a short story stretched into a very long film.

2 out of 4
Julian T.
December 6, 2011

Nukleopatra
November 17, 2011
It's one of those films where you end up pulling for the bad guy - unfortunately, there was no mystery at all behind who that is. I'm not even sure if they were trying to hide it. Predictable, and just bad.