The Three Stooges Reviews

April 25, 2013
Bobby and Peter Farrelly bring old style slapstick comedy to modern days with The Three Stooges.The story is simple and requires less than 90 minutes to tell. The story is also told in episodes, which is broken up quite nicely and laced with the original theme song. With that said, the story does take a back seat to the antics of the Stooges.The slapstick humor and sound effects stay true to how the Stooges should behave and it is all delivered at rapid fire pace for most of the film. The biggest challenge is finding a way to work this comedy into modern times. At times, this picture successfully does that, but at others it is awkward and out of place.Chris Diamantopoulos, Sean Hayes, and Will Sasso deliver good performances. Their facial expressions, movements, and line delivery successfully brings out the personalities of the Stooges.The Three Stooges will definitely divide the audience, but fans of the original series will get the most out of this.
½ September 16, 2010
"I have DVD collections of the great Three Stooges and I was looking forward to a film being made. However I was EXTREMELY disappointed with this film. If you can call it that. It's awful. So badly made. The directing, acting, the editing, I didn't like any of it. I wish they would have developed a better script. I didn't mind the three leads since they actually resembled the actual cast. But the rest is all a mess. I think with a better script and better directing it could have been much better."
February 5, 2012
Not the travesty that it was advertised to be, this adaptation of the original material from the one and only Three Stooges takes a few steps in the right direction. Knowing they couldn't make an entirely new Stooges' film, the stars of the film are three very convincing impersonators; including MADtv's Will Sasso, Will and Grace's Sean Hayes, and unknown Chris Diamantopoulos. Fraught with cameos and some stellar comedic performances from people such as Jane Lynch, Larry David, and Sofia Vergara, the film has some silly and inspired moments. The film is set up as many of the Stooges' shorts, stringing them together to form a film The last twenty minutes or last short, drags to an uncomfortable point, but that's just from trying to tie up the haphazard plot. It doesn't exactly work, but it's obviously not meant to be a film that serious or comedic. It's goofy and fun, doesn't try too hard and doesn't cop out with the Jersey Shore crew. They're featured, but it's more abusive than anything. The Stooges are either doing their usual schtick or make the most hilarious puns and misunderstanding guffaws. There are actual laugh out loud moments, and though this isn't a game changer or a true classic, but it's something that is light, funny, and is a way to get away from the world. The Stooges were never given the same oppurtunities, or even an acclaimed feature length film such as The Marx Brothers, and clung to fame in their golden years. Giving them any type of tribute was long overdue, and I applaud all involved for giving them that love and honorary affection. The Farrelly brothers weren't the right people for that job, and certainly this isn't one of their better films, but at least some laughs came out of it. I think The Stooges would be proud.
May 11, 2012
Where is the duo of directors that gave us comedy gold like Kingpin and Dumb and Dumber? They seem but a distant memory now, in light of this painfully unfunny farce. Granted that I've never been a particular fan of slapstick and the like - nor watched any of the antics of the original Three Stooges - but I don't see how anyone with a normal IQ could find this hilarious.

Hanging around with three half-wits, who spend their time slapping each other silly to the sound of "boinks" and "honks", isn't my idea of quality humor. And what kind of a message does that send to kids anyway? Put a chainsaw to someone's forehead and all he gets is a minor headache! Yeah, that will teach them about the dangers of power tools. Not that Looney Tunes isn't grounded in similar physics, but I think most kids are intelligent enough to separate reality from "Acme logic". Whereas three grown men - one of whom looking an awful lot like your average couch-potato dad - might make the difference less distinct.

Or to put it in another way: if aliens visiting Earth for the first time, picked this up on their monitors, they'd probably pass us by in a heartbeat - continuing their search for intelligent life. The only positive thing I can say here is that there was enough going on to keep me from dozing off. Voluptous bombshell Sofia Vergara gets most of the credit for that though. The larks of Snap, Crackle and Pop - not so much!
½ August 27, 2012
Moe, Larry and Curly try to raise money to save an orphanage, and Moe ends up in the cast of "Jersey Shore." Predictable plot, but the impersonations of the original Stooges are spot-on, and the violent slapstick routines are authentic too; not a terrible choice for a time-waster.
½ April 11, 2012
If you want to watch three episodes of The Three Stooges... then just watch three episodes of the original three stooges... There's no reason for this film to exist.
½ October 14, 2011
The three leads and Larry David save this ''comedy'' from being truly atrocious.
July 16, 2012
I've never really sat down and watched The Three Stooges but I'm familiar with their work through their impact on popular culture. Before watching this movie, I decided to give the original shorts a try and I absolutely loved them. The humour is simple but brilliant. So it made me slightly cautious before watching this, but it's absolutely fantastic. The Three Stooges set out to save their orphanage by raising over $800,000. They find themselves mixed up in an assassination plot and Moe ends up on Jersey Shore. The actors and the Farrelly Brothers have completely recreated the magic of the originals. The three stars have their parts down perfectly, each of them doing bang-on impersonations but not overdoing the mannerisms and voices. The Farrelly Brothers keep the comedy innocent and even manage to bring originality to having babies pee on people. The slapstick is fast and well choreographed with a few puns thrown in for good luck. This isn't trying to convert any new fans, and some old fans may be put off, but they should know this is a perfect continuation of these characters. The Jersey Shore scenes are very well done, using the cast as simply punching bags. If you never liked this kind of humour, I doubt you'll like this, but I adored it for its simplicity and innocence.
July 12, 2012
Just Say Moe.

Good movie! This was a very well done movie. Some of it was predictable, but I still had to laugh. The actors were all spot on ... they did an incredible job. The stand-out surprise for me was the young stooges. Full of good laughs, endearing joy, and a heart of innocent stupidity from the Stooges! I also think that the actors who played the comedic trio did a really authentic job of portraying them. The film tends to get a little silly at times but The Three Stooges is a barrel full of monkeys finding their way out. While not as good as the original stooges it is still a good enjoyable film.

Left on the doorstep of an orphanage run by nuns, newborns Moe, Larry and Curly grow up finger-poking, nyuk-nyuk-nyuking and woo-woo-wooing their way to uncharted levels of knuckleheaded misadventure. Now their childhood home may have to close due to financial difficulties. But Larry, Curly and Moe, employed as the foster home's inept maintenance men, are determined to come to the rescue. Only The Three Stooges could become embroiled in an oddball murder plot - while stumbling into starring roles in a phenomenally successful TV reality show.
July 7, 2012
This is a complete revitalization of the Three Stooges, bringing them into today's world, for a new audience. It's the exact same physical humor, and nuck nuck nucks as before, just different actors in today's world. The actors all do a fantastic job portraying Larry(Sean Hayes), Curly(Will Sasso), and Moe(Chris Diamantopoulos). The rest of the cast is good as well, especially Larry David as a nun, and a cameo by the Jersey Shore cast. The basic premise is that the Stooges grew up in an orphanage, and now the orphanage is being shut down, unless they can come up with the money to save it. Original? No. Funny? Yes, especially if you love the old Stooges. Brings back lots of memories, and hopefully this movie will help kids get introduced to the stooges, and their brand can live on. This is rated PG, just make sure the kids know the violence is pretend(there is a hilarious bit at the end as an advisory). Love The Stooges, and some may say this kind of comedy is dated, but I found it refreshing. Great movie if you want a couple harmless chuckles.
December 9, 2011
four stars
Tired of Previews
May 20, 2012
Directed (and co-written) by The Farrelly Brothers, C3 Entertainment, 2012

Starring: Sean Hayes, Chris Diamantopoulos, Will Sasso, Jane Lynch, Sofia Vergara, Stephen Collins, Jennifer Hudson, and Larry David.

Genre: Comedy

Question: Do you think it's glamorous being a movie reviewer? Seeing movies everyday, talking about movies, learning more about filmmakers, writing about certain actors, story-lines, discovering new talent etc...Well, it's the best job in the WORLD! I cannot lie. But I was asked to see movie to review it and it was one I hadn't planned on seeing.....The Three Stooges. Yep, you read that right. I saw The Three Stooges.

This does happen once and in a while but not often enough to complain about - seeing a film that I wasn't interested in watching. In fact, I usually end up glad I was asked because I am forced out of my comfort zone and sometimes discover a decent film. However, I really didn't want to see this particular movie. I wasn't interested in it at all but I was on a radio show recently, interviewed by the boys of Rampant Radio's Answer Pants show and I agreed. I am too nice and just could not say no, (Unless it's a slasher film - can't handle those. Sorry don't ask.) but I think reviewers and critics who have a specific distaste for a genre or such should avoid reviewing those movies. My thought, everyone has different tastes and likes. Mine may be broad, but I don't like everything, but my goal is to entice people to see a movie NOT go out of my way to pan a film. That is just not my style.

With all that said, I will admit I went into the theatre not a happy camper but with an open mind. Of course I had seen the original The Three Stooges' skits and I just didn't find the slapstick humor all that funny or entertaining. However, when the original short films were made times were different, tastes were simpler and people weren't bombarded with 1000 TV channels, 15 movies opening on each weekend and the only place to see a film was in the local movie house. However, I do like the Farrelly Brothers and thought if any filmmakers were going to revive the old Vaudeville act they were the best choice. I also thought they were going to increase the farcical jokes with today's more R-rated humor that they are so known for. (Yes, I didn't know it was rated PG until I got to the theatre - sorry, didn't do my normal research on this one.)

So what did I think of the film? Well, it was a pure homage to the original act. The movie was separated into three acts or episodes. The story was...well, umm...simple, silly and filled with a lot eye-poking, nose-pulling, and hammer-hitting. And, if I have to be honest, I was slightly bored because as I mentioned this type of humor just wasn't my cup of tea. However, if you like the slapstick humor of the original act then you may enjoy this film. Plus, I already told my kids this, I think children will enjoy this film so, yes, I have it on my Netflix queue for my kiddos. It was rated PG and it was made for the young at heart.

The three actors who portrayed Larry, Moe and Curly embodied their characters well. It was actually a little spooky how well, but I think the Farrelly brothers did a great job at casting the threesome. I was also a little surprised to see who else was in this film (see list of actors) but then again I didn't see any previews or do any research on this. However, once I did see the movie and did some fact checking, I found out the origins of the original The Three Stooges and found that story to be really interesting. Now that is a film I think I would be interested in viewing...anyone thinking of doing a biopic?

My favorite thing: The warning to the children during the credits. That got a giggle out of me.

My least favorite thing: Oh, you know I can't bash a film and you know I didn't really care for this one so let's just leave it at that for this 'least favorite thing', okay?

Rating: PG
Length: 92 minutes

Review: 4 out of 10
½ May 9, 2012
So I'm British and I don't really have any or much knowledge on this all American legendary comedic trio but I know of them and how it works. From that small bit of recognition I can see the effort put into this film from the three main cast members and must give kudos to their performances.

Yes the film is completely stupid, childish and babyish but of course that's what its all about, a classic mix of Chaplin, Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton with sound and no holding back with absurd ludicrous scenario's.

I've never heard of the main cast but have read of many big names that were in line for the main roles such as Jim Carrey. Even I can see this would have been completely wrong so I'm glad the cast are as they are, unknowns (to me), they pull off the recreation very well I think, they look good and sound good.
I think the stunts on show here are decent but nothing especially amazing, its all about the well rehearsed chemistry between the Stooges really, that's what shines through, the rest is your average Farrelly brothers schtick.

Does exactly what it says on the tin folks, you know what to expect and you get exactly that. If you don't enjoy this kind of farcical comedy or find yourself hating it as you watch then you clearly didn't check the label on the tin. Not totally my thing I admit but I can appreciate the skill involved.
April 20, 2012
Explaining why this made me laugh is like describing why Adagio for Strings makes me cry. It's more of a mood that the Farrelly brothers set up and maintain. For one thing they keep the atmosphere surprisingly wholesome. (It's rated PG, not PG-13 but PG) And why shouldn't they? This is the Three Stooges after all. The trio that rose to fame in the 1930s, while admittedly idiotic, was never vulgar or offensive. They remain sweet, good natured guys so we can still support them even when they're acting like idiots. Despite all the physical harm, their genuine love for each other and their fellow man, is evident. There's an innocence that imbues every scene with heart. Yes there's the requisite head bonks, eyeball gouges and hammers to the head complete with the cartoon noises that highlight each to amusing effect. But there's also considerable humanity. I can't justify why this made me chuckle, but I say without shame, I laughed a lot!
½ October 31, 2009
Terrific performances by Sean Hayes (Larry), Will Sasso (Curly) and Chris Diamantopoulos (Moe) are muted by the sophomoric, asinine inclusion of Jersey Shore and Kardashian gags that frankly don't work on anyone over the age of seventeen.
April 12, 2012
The portrayals of the three stooges is what makes this film particularly work. It is like they studied the original television show to pay a homage, and by god did they do an amazing job; However, the silliness of the modern references and real-life situations kind of take away from the fact that these characters are only meant for comedy skits. I had a great time at the movies while watching "The Three Stooges," but looking back on it, it was a pretty simple film to write, taking the characters and placing them in with new-age technology. It may not be the wondrous cinematic experience that died hard stooges fans may have been hoping for, but it definitely does not come short on laughs. "The Three Stooges" is quite a bit of fun!
Bathsheba Monk
April 17, 2012
Growing up as a girl with three brothers, I never thought I would like the Stooges. But there I was, a grown woman, laughing my ass off at their stupid antics, which by the way were beautifully choreographed. I kept wondering how long they had to practice those insane moves and bird sounds to make them flawless. I think the movie brought out the humanity of the trio that I didn't remember in the orginals, but as I say, I was fighting the tyranny of a brother-dominated house. I like the update of the reality show plot device, very clever. And forgive me for loving the sinking car scene--the rat down the cleavage of the evil wife/mistress/whatever hahahahha and how they blew up the car to get out, omg, it was sheer 13 year old boy humor and I guess more of that rubbed off on me that I would have hoped.
½ April 16, 2012
Of course, a movie like this has to ruin a great tv show. I own quite a few of the original tv episodes of The Three Stooges on dvd and they're classic. Before I saw the movie I watched a lot of the episodes and laughed at them. The movie though...ouch. The tv show was all about slapstick and how it was revolutionized and that's what made the show great. But the movie brought all the slapstick, but forgot all the funny. The slapstick in the movie seemed really forced and repetetive. Then there's the fact that the main storyline is just too ridiculous, even for the Stooges. It's a murder thing that goes on, but I didn't even follow it most of the time. Most of the time I was just like "Oh my God, screw the plot, just show that hot nun that was in the trailer some more." The main actors playing the Stooges I didn't even recognize. some of the actresses I recognized though. My problem though is Jane Lynch. Of course they had to add her in to appeal to the people who like that piece of crap show, "Glee." She's not funny at all. A lot of people say she's really talented and one of the funniest women alive, but I call bullshit on that. She's one of those people who's untalented and not funny, yet they constantly get cast in a bunch of movies, tv shows, commercials, etc...(Like Will Ferrell and the fat kid from "Modern Family.") There are also some moments in the film where catholic nuns are involved and something happens that normally God would frown upon and smite them. Those moments had me saying "Oh, that might offend some people." The movie played it pretty close to the heart on those parts. Is this the worst film of 2012 so far? Well, no considering "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance" came out this year, but The Stooges come fairly close.