Dante 01 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dante 01 Reviews

garyX
October 21, 2012
An enigmatic stranger is introduced into the population of a space station containing a collection of the criminally insane being used as guinea pigs for experimental treatments. Being directed as it was by one half of the team responsible for Delicatessen and The City Of Lost Children, Dante 01 is as visually pleasing as you'd expect. There is some beautiful imagery and use of colour and the premise intriguing in a kind of cross between Solaris and The Experiment. The script is packed with references to religion and classic literature to the point where I think you may need a PhD in philosophy to have the slightest clue what the film is actually about as little is explained and the conclusion is one of those Manga style existential spectacles that are utterly baffling to the uninitiated. The strong performances and attractive styling will keep the attention of those not too troubled by the lack of coherent narrative but anyone requiring a plot that's easy to follow and self explanatory will find it frustratingly pretentious. A genuine oddity that's worth a look for anyone seeking something a little different to the usual formulaic sci-fi.
bbcfloridabound
½ December 8, 2011
This film is from the 2008 Screamfest Festival. Not as good as some of the other movies show at this festival, matter of fact it was way out there. Its put out by Dimension Extreme, so I knew I was in for something wild. About a prison in space where a new inmate is sent with what appears to be healing powers and can bring the dead back to life. Nothing scary about this one more in line with sci fi. 3 1/2 stars
thefog1331
½ July 8, 2010
A very strange mixture of sci-fi and thriller with some religious allegory thrown in. Some of it doesn't make any sense (to me) but so much of it does and I enjoyed the trademark look that Caro brings over from previous efforts that he made with co-director Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Alot apparently are turned off by it's vagueness and religious overtones but I wasn't one of them and look forward to seeing it again to determine if I can possibly understand it any better.
January 29, 2009
Marc Caro made some amazing films when paired with Jean-Pierre Jeunet. This is his first film in 10 years and it's a huge disappointment. What starts off as an intriguing idea soon spirals into madness, cheapness and poor film making. The religious symbolism soon becomes a mallet which is smacked over our heads. The nice set design soon loses it's appeal. Overall Event Horizon and Alien 3 have dealt with similar themes in a much more sophisticated manner. Many things go unexplained and other plot points are utterly ridiculous. Finally the ending has a few shots played continuously on a loop, getting faster and faster, for around 3 minutes. It's bearable, but not essential.
August 6, 2013
The set design is probably the biggest issue in the film besides all the other things that went wrong in the film, it looked so cheap and the use of lighting, oh Gosh, the use of lighting, I just wanted to close my eyes and wish that it would all go away. The acting is incredibly bad as well, how one can fit so much bad acting in one film is simply astounding. There's nothing good about this film, it's just so stupid, what a waste of money. The fact that the film wanted to disguise itself in self righteous semi-religious messages really pissed me off.
December 31, 2011
-Interesting visuals.
-WTF is going on?
-It's too bad the investors backed out and killed the finale of this film.
-Fantastic sets.
August 6, 2013
½ August 20, 2012
A dissapointing sci fi rendition caught oddly between themes of God, human evolution and alien infestation set in a space station prison. The film awkwardly dashes between a psychological thriller, horror and finally semi action as it struggles to find a proper vehicle to present its narrative. Could have been a real winner in the same vein as 2001: Space Oddessy & Sunshine
November 10, 2012
Holy Smurf! This movie has the sucks power of a black hole on MEGA SLURP mode! It made no sense, had a cast of only dislikeable, mostly bored or angry or angry because they were so bored character and had no purpose what-so-ever other then to make you howl with losing over an hour of your life that you could have used better deworming the cat. I love a good mind bender of a movie but the only thing this film made me think of was that harikiri with a toothpick might be less painful!
½ September 17, 2008
movie does not disappoint visually. the emotional atmosphere is cold. actors look interesting...but maybe the characters are a bit one-sided. not bad. the ending looks really cool.
March 9, 2012
You can feel Marc Caro's style throughout this film.. if you have enjoyed his work in the past this is worth a look but its hard to recommend otherwise.. if anything it serves to remind us how everyone lost when he was unable to work with Jeunet on Alien Resurrection. A shorter running time or a more dense plot could have improved things but what was done with the money available is certainly no mean achievement.
April 5, 2011
A very boring, uncreative and plotless movie. The story is somewhat nowhere and especially the ending is very mind boddling as to what is actually happening.
½ February 20, 2010
Despite a stunning disstopian backdrop this film failed to move me, the general premis was good but the ending was so confusing I thought someone had drugged my onions.
February 18, 2010
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down

I liked the look of the film but I felt like I had seen this all before. A near-miss.
½ April 19, 2009
The films main flaw is it's blunt symbolism and pretentiousness. The director tries, but seems so wrapped up in the visuals, he has neglected the story. Good art direction, the acting is fine, the the film is weak, empty and cold.