• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Last Word Reviews

Nicki M

March 28, 2010
Unique idea. Very slow moving, but kind of liked it, and nice to see Winona in a more recent film too.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

January 23, 2010
Wes Bentley, Winona Ryder, Ray Romano

DIRECTED BY: Geoffrey Haley

A man (Bentley) who makes his living composing other people's suicide notes enters into a romance with the sister (Ryder) of a recent client.

Morbid, odd, funny, and dark. That is the best way I can describe this movie. Not a feel good movie and not one you will come away feeling like, WOW. But none the less good. The performances were great. Really good to see not only Wes, but also Winona, in a lead. It's been awhile. Bentley's character has the worse but yet some how interesting job. Makes you wonder if one like that exists. Romano lends himself to a great comedic supporting role who brings the laughs but who is also disturbed by his own demons. This movie is a breath of fresh air when it comes to seeing the same stories being made over and over again. Unique, and like none I have seen. The ending was satisfying for me. Wes Bentley is my main reason for seeing it. Loved him in "American Beauty". Loved him in this movie as well. Wish he was given more movies cause I think he's fab. Definitely worth the watch. Hope more people see it.
Dann M

February 8, 2013
A dark romantic comedy, The Last Word is a provocative film with a wry sense of humor. The story follows a writer that helps people compose their suicide notes as he falls for the sister of one of his former clients. The characters are especially well written and are given an exceptional level of depth. Wes Bentley and Winona Ryder lead the cast, and do an impressive job at handling the tone of the film. There are some storytelling issues, but despite its flaws The Last Word is a daring film and a compelling character drama.
iLeo
iLeo

November 9, 2007
Interesting. Fairly well story plot. Here is a movie that centralizes around two characters that meet at a funeral, and get to know each other. One has a hidden secret, and the other is trying to know more about a family member she doesn't remember well. Wes Bentley, Winon Ryder, and Ray Romano stars. Worthy!
March 25, 2012
It was one of those films where I got bored and I wanted to watch a Winona Ryder film since she is one of my favorite actresses. A poetic mysterious and yet demented film but I liked it. Not because of Winona Ryder but how Wes Bently acted in this. Especially how Ray Romano acted in this film, never seen him like that before and it was compelling to me.
March 27, 2010
well finally a movie?s title I can understand why!! this was I guess you could say a bit morbid. The lead character writes Suicide notes for a living (how much would you even charge for that? He seems to have a decent apartment or was it a studio?) meets one of his clients sisters at the mans funeral, and the story goes from there. It was somewhat different Ray Romano is one of his clients which sounds worse than other clients you see. (he sounds 9voice wise) like Brad Garrett to me. Wynnona Ryder plays the the love interest. C +
June 2, 2009
It has some very clever lines in it and actually Ray Romano's character reminds me a lot of Chuck Palaniuk with how morbid he is and the things that he says. It's really not all that special of a romantic, sorta comedy, but it is at least interesting. If nothing else the dialouge will keep you entained.
May 8, 2009
strange movie, not very good, but nice...
November 24, 2013
Love when comic actors take on darker and more serious roles. Ray Romano is terrific in this one. Predictable but engaging, and it packs a powerful emotional punch. In other words: Ray Romano made me cry.
Andrew T.
May 28, 2013
Problem here? Uhh definitely not the acting; Winona Ryder and Wes Bently are very good in their roles, even Mr Romano too. The problem is the overall story and really the screenplay. The cinematography is distorted and there are too many plots to work with in too little time which makes the characters look really bad, NOT the fault of the acting. Every time I saw Ryder I was having a good time, granted I love Wino Forever. But overall this movie could have had something but it was just too complicated for this crew to do.
May 27, 2013
I loved this movie! The buildup and then the beautiful ending!!!
February 19, 2013
Misconceived from the very beginning, this film is a failed attempt at a morbid romantic comedy. Framed as an oddball romcom between two strange people, it is instead unrealistic, ridiculous and bland. Performances are bad, and the main characters have little to no actual personality. The plot is ridiculous and highly predictable. It is not even very funny. Ray Romano is perturbing as the uncharacteristic depressive, and is the only one who actually has some dry witty lines in the film. While the resolution may appear to be unconventional as a whole the story arc and character arcs are muddled and confused. A poor effort and insensitive to the subjectmatter. While some aspects ring true, like most Hollywood films it reverts to cliche to resolve complex life issues in a 90 minute drama.
Dann M

February 8, 2013
fratjoe18
January 20, 2013
This movie is depressing, Help people who want to commit suicide, don't assist them.
August 20, 2011
This is one of those features that come across more interesting in concept than what we're given in the final product. It's often uneven, with a contrived romance that drags the film down and a tacked on finish. The unexpected high point comes from Ray Romano, who's terrific as a bitter composer.
Rick Z.
July 11, 2011
Seriously man,why they made this movie?
The bittersweet attitude of the suicidal poet to the relationship adds a little bit of fun,and the acting of Winona Ryder of the ''stupid girl'' was not far from being natural;The screenwriter tried to create complicated characters but the only thing he did was to create souless,non-original robots,and yeah, it might be a moving end but that doesn't justify that ''Evan'' broke the line between work and feelings.
June 11, 2011
Besides the horrible love story and the little cliche parts towards the end this movie was actually really good. Though I don't sound like I liked it, but it was pretty damn entertaining and Wes Bentley was fantastic in it. I could even stand Ray Romano in it. That's a first.
February 11, 2011
Very compelling and moving.
anti z.
October 25, 2010
I was immediately drawn to this one because of the interesting premise: a suicide letters writer falls in love with one of his clients sister. It seemed predictable at the time but still worth a watch.
It starts of well, and the character of Wes is intriguing (i always like the quiet types) but Winona didn't sell it at all. Don't look for chemistry, it just isn't there.
I understand why Wes is drawn to her (I mean look at her...) but other than that it is quite vanilla all the way to the end.
And what an ending it was, not in a good way mind you, pretty much ruined the entire film for me.
It is a nice watch on account of some nice dark moments, but other than that it is a miss if you think about the potential.
October 2, 2010
Starring Spock's mom from an alternate universe with an appearance by Dr. Phlox from Enterprise, "The Last Word" instantly moves into my Top 10 personal favorite movies of all time. It doesn't even satisfy any of my personal criteria for favorite movies although a new criterion might be plush animals. This movie has the most realistic romance ever depicted on film, at least in my world.