• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

Splinterheads Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 29, 2010
Cast: Thomas Middleditch, Rachael Taylor, Christopher McDonald, Lea Thompson, Dean Winters, Frankie Faison, Jason Rogel, Edmund Lyndeck, Jason Mantzoukas, Lennon Parham

Director: Brant Sersen

Summary: When a traveling carnival sets up shop in town, Justin (Thomas Middleditch) discovers the girl of his dreams, a shrewd carnie named Galaxy (Rachael Taylor). But to win over this sexy con artist's heart, Justin must get his life in order and deal with her scary boyfriend, Reggie (Dean Winters).

My Thoughts: "I should just stick to these odd little indie films. They always seem to do the romance and most of the other type of films right. Well in my opinion. This film didn't really focus on the romance, more on the quirky story being told. It has some very odd characters that are funny and make the movie that more interesting and entertaining. The movie was surprisingly funny coming from an unknown actor for me, that being Thomas Middleditch. I thought Justin and his side-kick Wayne Chung, were a pretty funny duo. Not bad acting for this little low budget film. Amazing Steve and Grandpa Albert Hale were also pretty funny in this. Just a great cast of odd, fun, crazy characters. Definitely worth a second watch."

October 29, 2011
Good movie based around the carny life. It's one of those offbeat romantic comedies where you basically know the ending after the first 30 minutes but it's a fun ride.

The acting is good and there are some interesting scenes. The girl is sexy as hell.

Fap rating: 7/10
Overall: 8.5
HeroPK
February 2, 2011
Splinterheads was pretty good if your in the mood for a light straight to DVD / late night movie. It is an 80's movie at heart like... well I can't think of one but the plot is the story of the "dorky guy" who finds a "cool chick" that changes his life. Takes place in a carnival and the girl is into geocaching.
July 27, 2010
Pretty cute and I love the added Geocache angle! It really bugs me when I can hear an english or austraian accent under an actors character. The little blonde was beautiful but definitely Australian, not American.
coldasice2008
July 9, 2010
A few funny moments and another average story about a geeky lead who falls in love with a woman who changes his life.
1/2 star extra for having my favorite hobby in there, Geocaching!
FilmGrinder S.
May 22, 2013
76%
"What are you diong drinking with carny folk?"-Justin Frost (Thomas Middleditch)
The kid is beyond dorky, making the blossoming relatationship with Galaxy harder to accept (he would have been great in HOT ROD). The last ten minutes go off the deep end, in RAISING ARIZONA fashion.
"Oh Susan, I've spent the last year waiting to die. Now, all of a sudden, I'm given an award for living!"-Albert Hale (Edmund Lyndeck)
February 1, 2013
Not as funny as one might have hoped. Severe let-down.
December 16, 2012
it was a nice movie to just watch. didn't have to pay attention to know what was going on and i laughed a couple times.
nope
June 24, 2012
It started out slow and a bit awkward. I was wondering if I had made a bad decision, but the quirkier characters and story grew on me as the story progressed.
John W.
May 31, 2012
More fun than it ought to have been. Perfect Saturday afternoon, cable tv movie.
toxiemite
April 25, 2012
The last thing I like to do is over-hype a movie for people but I'm going to just come out with it and say that I think Splinterheads is one of the funniest movies i've seen all year. It easily ranks in the top 10 at least. The poster gives the impression of a romantic comedy but don't let that fool you. The movie centres around an awkward loser of a guy who has absolutely nothing going for him in... life. A travelling circus comes to town and the Splinterheads (carnie-folk) begin to cross his path, in particular an audacious blonde chick played by Rachel Taylor. And even after that description I promise that it's still not the romantic comedy it might appear to be. You could compare it to movies like Napoleon Dynamite, Youth In Revolt and a touch of Harold And Kumar. The lead actor is hilarious and his fat Asian best friend has some champagne moments (the delicious sandwich had me in stitches). At the start of her career Rachel Taylor never impressed me but over the past couple of years I am really starting to think highly of her. With films like Summer Coda and Red Dog adding to her credits, she's coming across as a calculated and intelligent actress. I am really keen to hear some more thoughts about Splinterheads... it has flown under all of the radars and really should be elevated!
March 30, 2012
It badly wants to head in the right direction, but the acting is far too weak to carry it there.
January 24, 2012
It wasn't the most original or the best but it was alright I guess.

October 29, 2011

Fap rating: 7/10
Overall: 8.5
August 22, 2011
The best part of this movie is Rachael Taylor geocaching in her underwear. The worst part of the movie was the rest of the movie. It tries too hard to be a quirky cult-classic. I wanted to like it because geocaching is part of the plot, but that part really has nothing to do with the rest of the movie other than to make it only somewhat bearable to watch, and even that part they get wrong.
July 19, 2011
It's a fun movie. Really funny without having to be the SAME ACTORS all of the time. The girl in it is banging so it's not hard to watch
Justin B.
June 26, 2010
Offbeat romantic comedy from start to finish.
Brad E.
May 26, 2010
I enjoyed this indie comedy about as much as most bigger budget theatrical releases. It had memorable characters, pretty good acting and it introduced me to geocaching. It was fun and looked good with some laughs--what more do you want?
Paul Celano
April 20, 2010
I was surprised how much I liked this movie. The story line is ok, but not really the best. In fact it was in pieces in certain areas. But it was the characters that really kept me entertained. Only a couple characters were just ok. This was Rachael Taylor and Dean Winters. Rachel Taylor's part just really didn't seem to fit her. Then Dean Winters was more of a bad guy yet it seemed like he had a hard time playing one. The main character is played by Thomas Middleditch. He had an interesting acting skill. The voice and mannerisms he used were kind of strange, but that made some of the scenes really entertaining. Then you have Edmund Lyndeck. I don't know what it is about this guy. But he is such a rude funny old guy. He plays it so well, you cannot help but laugh when he shows up. So not that bad of a movie. Something fun to watch while taking a break.