Home

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Home Reviews

Anthony L

October 1, 2010
Ursula Meier just couldn't help herself, what starts as an interesting concept turns into a cliched French existential load of old nonsense. It's 2 steps forward and 1 step back all the way but to its credit it is beautifully filmed throughout.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

September 30, 2010
A French family's behavior becomes increasingly erratic when a major highway opens in their front yard; they eventually wall themselves up in the house to escape the noise. An obscure metaphor that never gets up to highway speed. NOTE: This review referes to the French film; Flixter currently has the cast list mixed up with a 2008 American movie of the same name.
gor41
gor41

January 31, 2010
Certainly scores for originality but left me a little cold with its aloof pretensions.

November 28, 2009
"Home" is an offbeat and endearing movie that makes beautiful use out of its unique setting. Michel(Olivier Gourmet) and Marthe(Isabelle Huppert) moved to the middle of nowhere after her nervours breakdown ten years previously. A highway was built by their house but never completed until now which breaks up their disordered existence, such as using the highway for their personal roller hockey rink. While the drivers now get a new road, the family is blocked in and can go nowhere. And sitting out in the yard to watch television has definitely lost its charm. However, it does not stop elder daughter Judith(Adelaide Leroux) from sunbathing within easy sight of the motorists. Her sister Marion(Madeleine Budd), who is scary smart but thinks too much, worries about the level of lead in the new environment, which Judith ignores as she continues smoking cigarettes. However, Marion does get to her younger brother Julien(Kacey Mottet Klein) and they both walk to the school bus which has turned into an adventure, the only one he still has as most of his playmates have vanished. The problem for all concerned is not the level of noise which is manageable but that they are being watched constantly. And just as the remote location turns out to be no permanent remedy for this family's ills, neither is the highway for the motorists since they still have to deal with the occasional traffic jam to which Judith is actually blameless.
GabrielKnight
May 28, 2012
A strangely depressing tale of a family facing uncertain times when a major highway is built practically in their backyard. Some events in this movie are so out of this world I can't help but think it was meant as an allegory.
August 20, 2011
As one critic said... "Though there is little here for an informed person to take issue with, the film's well-intentioned preachiness is unlikely to win over those who favor Genesis and denial over climate science."

Yea, those who favor Genesis, & claim that the Earth is flat, that the Earth is 6,800 year's old, that the Earth is at the "Center of the Universe", that 2 + 2 really does = 5 & that science has been lying to us all along are never preachy! So, at least their not hypocrite's...

I actually take some issue with the statistical information that this film play's with. It is apparent that they chose to group thing's all together, for example, instead of saying 6.7, 6.8, etc., billion, & stressing approximately, they just round it off to 7 billion. I would have preferred more precise statistical information. They likely didn't want to, & ultimately didn't, bc, of the idea that it would scare off the laypeople who don't want to feel like they are being hit over the head with number's; well, the idiot's need to learn, or they should, eventually!

And while I believe that climate change is obviously real & that global warming is obviously real, what is the precise cause & the idea that human's are the cause of it is pretty shaky; we have only been documenting accurate measurement's for a little over 100 year's or so. We not only need to be doing more to stop putting the garbage into our environment but, we also need to be doing more to develop & turn a profit with the technologies that will allow us to stop putting the garbage into our environment and to do that fast enough, as that would be the best incentive for us to stop being so stupid with our energy production and energy consumption.

Along with the idea that we only have 10 year's, or so, to turn the tied before thing's become irreversible, there are a few different thing's in this film that I found to be fear mongering but, at least it's for a good cause. Sometimes the end's really do justify the mean's. One thing that is irking me currently didn't do so until I got to this webpage; other than Glenn Close as the "Narrator", none of those actor's are even in this damned movie, unless they played some of the tiny little bug-sized ppl that were way down on the ground, far & away from the helicopter's & the jet's that contained the camera's that filmed this movie...

So, either the movie got it wrong and/or Flixster did; & more than likely it is entirely Flixster that screwed that one up!
Bobda
May 7, 2012
Home (2008): Heartfelt French film about a family that have a motorway built on their doorstep, descends into chaos. Cool shooting 7/10
January 30, 2012
Another great film that requires a follow up.
April 24, 2011
Magnifica exploración de lo que son los aspectos familiares, como tambien el trabajo que conlleva mostrarlos en escena con la ayuda de un muy buen guión y tremendas actuaciones.
John Cockerton
April 14, 2011
a brilliantly original story, Home loses touch in the third act but manages to keep your eyes on the screen till the credits roll thanks to a suitably simplistic script, great acting and a consistent tone of atmosphere.
Vampire Reilly
August 26, 2010
Okay, here I am after watching those bad movies I'm back on watching good ones. No more Alien Raiders, no more LA Takedown, no more Hills Have Eyes II, back to the good stuff now.

Home is an independent French film, I usually am prejudiced against French films but this one was excellent. It's about a family living in a house on a quite road in a rural area. Their life is changed for the worse when a highway is built right by their house. A road that used to see one car a day now sees non-stop traffic all day every day.

We follow this family as their mental states go to the dog house. It states lively and cheerful and ends claustrophobic and nauseous. Round the beginning we are greeted with nice scenes like a family game of slider hockey in the middle of the road and a lazy eldest sister relaxing in a bikini in a calm environment and round the end we get these uncomfortable scenes like a hot and sweaty family all trying to sleep in the same room just to get away from the noise and a family members doing random, irrational things like tearing off one's clothes and snapping about how they aren't as pretty as the older sister when simply asked if they have any whites in need of washing.

This is a manipulative film, a good script and good performances make you feel what the family feels. When they are happy you their comfort and ease, when they are stressed you feel their frustration and angst. This isn't a movie for everyone, it can be quite frustrating and uncomfortable at times and if you aren't into that then don't watch it. If you are one to appreciate a film for it's skill to make you empathise then I strongly recommend this.

4 stars from me
kingofthecorn
August 10, 2010
(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up

I truly loved this eccentric film with its eccentric family. Very entertaining.

NOTE: I have no idea why Rotten Tomatoes lists Glenn Close as a cast member in this movie. She isn't in it!
Persona
August 8, 2010
Addiction, alcoholism, adultery, unemployment -- these are some of the things we think of when pondering how families get torn apart. In Ursula Meier's Home, it is a freeway being built in the front yard.

A family with ten years of peace next to a patch of road that seems to have been forgotten deals with all the elements of a highway project being finished -- construction, then traffic, with emissions, and worst of all noise. When the highway opens, there is an unbearable, omni-present noise they're not used to, not only heard inside the house but felt in the rumble of constant tires echoing as felt vibrations in the floorboards and dinner plates. A parallel story forms in which the highway's noisiness is a reflection of a family that has lost its peace with each other.

Enter the "reverse road movie." It's a weird concept, and a strange little film, but french star Isabelle Huppert (The Piano Teacher,
I Heart Huckabees) and Olivier Gourmet (The Son) combine with three young actors as their children to pull off some memorable scenes about a shut-in mom and family who support her, but they are slowly losing their grip when an unseen force brings havoc to their front door.

With cinematography by Agnès Godard, who lenses too many films to mention (always wonderfully visual), the house at first stands out against an abstract, natural background. There are no other homes, just endless nature -- fields and sky, birds and trees. The opening of the freeway interrupts this setting, and they need to figure out whether or not they continue with normal life on their property. Moving isn't an option when you love and live with your mom, and though it is never explained we can only assume she's a sort of a shut-in. The one great thing she needs to do is the one thing it seems she can't -- get the hell out of dodge. She's a good woman, though they are definitely another strange film family (not as strange as the recent family I described in Dogtooth, but nevertheless strange), and we hope for her like we hope for one in recovery to break through some barriers and leave the home with her family. Huppert is characteristically wonderful, and her scenes with Gourmet and the children are entrancing.

After writing the script, director Meier had to find a landscape with a half-built road, build a house next to it, progress with the narrative in turning the road into a highway, and bring hundreds of cars and trucks and extras to drive the road in front of the home. She found a small landing strip in Bulgaria, and they set off and made the film there. Outdoor scenes are an open-air shoot, and indoors, especially toward the end when the family actually begins to shut themselves fully in with mom, there's tense contrast between the open feel outside and the closed-in family falling apart inside the house.

I can't believe they went to Bulgaria to make the film. I think that is so cool.
Scott Jonathan
February 17, 2010
it takes the whole movie to come to a conclusion that should have taken all of ten minutes. this movie was painful to watch. the only reason that i felt that i had to watch it was because i had already tried to watch "eraserhead" and shut that off after five minutes of listening to static. so i felt i owed it to myself to sit through the next movie - never again. if i don't like a movie, from now on, i'm just going to leave or shut it off. i wish there was a way to get back the time i lost.
mark D.
November 28, 2009
A wonderfully crafted tale of privacy lost. It is refreshing in the sense that it is original and captivating whilst borrowing unintentially in theme from an Australian comedy gem titled "The Castle".