Beyond a Reasonable Doubt Reviews

September 13, 2011
Brilliant narrative despite the few plot holes. Enjoyable to watch.
July 18, 2011
Not as bad as I heard it would be. And nobody plays a villain better than Michael Douglas. Gaps? Yes. A little far fetched? Yes. If for nothing else, see this for Michael Douglas.
½ September 25, 2010
Remake of the 1956 film in which a writer's plan to expose a corrupt district attorney takes an unexpected turn. The movie is a good thriller with very good suspense, action and adventure. The story is very interesting, it will catch you from the very beginning, the plot is very well developed. The rhythm at the beginning of the movie is kinda slow and makes the movie a little boring but it began to get better near the end and also the twist at the end was really surprising. The cast is good. Michael Douglas is very good, this type of movies suits him very well. Amber Tamblyn was very convincing also and Jesse Metcalf gave a decent performance as well. In conclusion, It was a good enjoyable movie, could be better but one can be satisfied with the result.
½ February 24, 2010
Took a shot and what can I say it was allright, not bad. Wicked ending and a smart plot made a decent good movie. Wow that Amber Tamblyn is so cute too, I think I got another platonic crush.

High profile lawyer, Martin Hunter has an impeccable record putting criminals behind bars and is a shoo-in for governor in the upcoming election. But when ambitious rookie journalist, C.J. Nicholas begins investigating Hunter for tampering with evidence to secure his convictions, the district attorney's perfect record is up for scrutiny. Commencing a risky game of cat and mouse with Hunter, C.J. frames himself as a murder suspect to catch the corrupt D.A. in the act. Romantically involved with C.J. but unaware of his assignment, assistant D.A. Ella Crystal becomes caught between her boss's political ambitions and C.J.'s dangerous expose. As mounting evidence stacks up against both men, Ella's own life becomes threatened when she discovers incriminating proof that puts the fate of both C.J's innocence and Hunter's reputation in her hands.
August 19, 2010
Alright acting by the three leads but it's in the service of a rather preposterous script. The ending is especially ridiculous.
½ June 1, 2010
I love Amber Tamblyn so the film was the supreme all just because of her. It was good, but could have been better. I loved the surprise twist, it pretty much caught me off guard and that's usually really hard to do.
February 19, 2010
Weak! But, it was a good ride!
½ February 16, 2010
This modern remake of Fritz Lang's last American thriller is undeniably flawed, but manages to be nerve-racking sometimes and has a nice twist in the end.
September 26, 2010
The film was so so. The pacing was off. It kind of reminded me of films like The Pelican Brief, Sliver, and A Perfect Murder. Even though Amber Tamblyn and Jesse Metcalfe were ok in their roles, other actors in those roles could have done a much better job. Joseph Gordon Levitt and Ellen Page could have played those roles much better. Douglas does his best, given what he has to work with. Orlando Jones steals every scene that he is in.
½ September 13, 2010
This movie tells a story of how twisted the criminal justice system could be. and how far folks will go to twist the rules and regulations of a crime to suit their advantage. The ending will have your jaw stuck in disbelief to the floor like it actually belongs there... See this on is a stunner!
½ January 24, 2010
If Michael Douglas wasn't in this movie I'd have to say that it is not recomended for anyone... very bad screenplay did not help Peter Hyams with his insecure directorship. Sadly predictable twists with below average acting.
November 22, 2009
Investigative Reporter C J Nicolas (Jesse Metcalfe) is convinced that the high profile District Attorney (who is on the verge of becoming governor) Mark Hunter (Michael Douglas) gets most of his convictions by planting DNA evidence on the person arrested for the crime. In order to expose him, C.J comes up with a wild scheme of framing himself for murder and catching the DA in the act so to speak. Assistant DA Ella Crystal (Amber Tamblyn) gets romantically involved with C.J. only to discover that her boss and boyfriend both are masters at shady dealings. A great mystery plot which keeps one guessing, a nice car chasing scene in the parking garage and a good unexpected twist to go along with the action and Michael Douglas is convincing as the confident and slimy lawyer.
½ September 22, 2010
The best thing about this remake was the car chase. Some films should not be "redone".
November 22, 2009
'Beyond a Reasonable Doubt' is a remake of 1956 film noir. The casting is good but the performances could have been better,specially Michael Douglas who looks wooden, the plot is interesting and the execution looks like a TV movie series.
Despise all that it's still good, very watchable and somewhat suspenseful with good ending.
½ December 9, 2009
For an in-flight movie, this wasn't the worst thing to spend a few hours watching.
½ December 28, 2009
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt may interest some; but I found it to be cringe-worthy, formulaic and dull. It is a remake of a 1956 film so I cannot argue against it not being highly original; but it wasn't even updated well ... so that is a valid complaint in my book. The script/story was unsurprising and it didn't hold my interest or enthrall me like a suspense should. ALL (yes -- ALL) of the acting was horrid, wooden, and looked directed and staged. I am shocked that Michael Douglas was this bad -- I don't think I have ever seen him act so poorly. It is a given that Jesse Metcalfe would be terrible but Amber Tamblyn has shown some promise in her young career; but this movie isn't a move in the right direction for her. It is almost scarey that a movie can be this bad unintentionally. Yikes.
May 10, 2011
What is the basis for making this movie and making it in this quality? The acting doesn't seem like they wanted to give their all. The mystery really doesn't mean much because it is staged a little differently in the cat and mouse way, which it doesn't work as. One of the most absurd car chases in movies. I really don't know what to say about this movie that's positive. Michael Douglas seems like he was just looking for a paycheck.

This really just shows that some crap still makes it through the system. This really seems like it was a mid-level TV procedural drama episode, and not a good one.
May 7, 2011
I had no idea this was a remake until after I saw it. Pissed me off that I didn't see the '56. I must rectify that. I really enjoyed this. While some premises are kinda far fetched the acting and production values were superb and ya gotta love the ending.
½ November 21, 2010
From an experienced director like Peter Hyams, he should be embarrassed on how horribly made this was.
November 8, 2010
Wow, Beyond A Reasonable Doubt surprised me. It's an excellent court room drama/thriller about an investigative reporter who gives up his freedom trying to bring down a corrupt DA. It's a 3 star movie but the twist ending gives it an extra star. I highly recommend viewing this. It's totally worth it.