Women in Cages

No Score Yet

Women in Cages Reviews

FilmFanatik FilmFanatik
September 29, 2011
Probably the least of the "women in prison" exploitation movies that I've seen thus far, at least in the pseudo-trilogy that it falls into. Women in Cages reunites much of the main cast from The Big Doll House, but unfortunately, things just aren't as much fun as before. This time around, Pam Grier is on the dirty dikey side of the bars while the rest are on the other side trying to get out. The main thing that bothers me about this movie is Jennifer Gan, who is an absolutely awful actress and I can see why she never had a career after this. Her character is baffelling to me all the time, but it's her acting that really brings things down. She doesn't even get nude in the movie, which is a big no-no when it comes to these types of movies. It's part of the titilation and enjoyment that the actresses will be topless at some point. The movie also doesn't really have much to it and there's nothing as exciting or as engaging as the films that came before and after it.
DrStrangeblog DrStrangeblog
March 15, 2014
Superior WIP film, and one of the first to kick off the genre's popularity at the outset of the 1970s. Some unique casting adds interest as Pam Grier plays the sadistic warden while personal favorite Roberta Collins, frequently the sympathetic cellmate, is the conniving junkie with orders to kill the new girl! That new girl is Jeff (Jeff?!?) played by Jennifer Gan whose acting credits are limited, mostly bit parts on TV, and don't extend beyond 1972. And for a very good reason too: she's absolutely terrible! Probably the worst acting I have seen in the genre, and these roles aren't honeypots for the next Charlize Theron. So she's a significant drag factor, but Collins & Grier keep the ship from sinking while showing some boobie among the showerings, stabbings, riotings, plottings, escapings, and torturings on the Wheel Of Misfortune. In all, a gritty guilty pleasure good time.
Donald W October 30, 2013
This is the weakest of Rodger Corman's "Women in Prison" series with Pam Grier. The story is weak and the acting is bad. There are plenty of nude women. Pam Grier's prison guard uniform is ugly. The props are fake looking and the bloody makeup is just red streaks painted on the girls bodies. The whole premise of the story of four American girls in a Philippine prison seems unlikely. And for a Philippine prison to have a black American woman from Harlem as the head matron is also kind of far fetched. Despite the name of the movie, the women spend most of the time in a prison cell and are never placed in any cages like the one shown on the cover of the DVD box. The movie's story made it seem like there was a Philippine mafia that controlled the country. When this movie was made Marcos was dictator of the Philippine Islands and controlled everything in the country with an iron fist. If the Marcos government wanted to throw a drug smuggler into prison they wouldn't need his girlfriend to testify against him. They'd just frame him and send him to prison.
Bill B ½ January 21, 2012
I enjoyed this film pretty well, though it ends on a much different note than I was expecting, which makes it lose a half point, as I was expecting things to play out...um, happier for everyone? Which I suppose is me judging this on my own preconceptions, but there you go.

It's definitely worth a look, but I much prefer Jack Hill's films in this genre.
Peter F July 30, 2012
A highlight of 70s grindhouse cinema. Like the rest of it's ilk it's non-sense, and makes up for it's lack of budget with sleaze. What works though, is the film's sense of humor (some parts of the film almost feel like parody), and Pam Grier's acting. Next time you feel the need to laugh at a bad movie, this should fit the bill nicely.
peter h. peter h. August 25, 2010
Roger Corman's second or third WOMEN IN PRISON FILM still follows the exact same plot line and formula. A group of women are forced into a prison were they are subjected to indecnt sexual acts, then goup together and break out. But this time unlike the other corman women in prision films were two girls are in trouble one white and the other played Pam Greir is not used in this film due to Grier being recast as the films main villian, Still it's a sleezy good view from corman. 6/10
David H. David H. May 6, 2010
A grandious Women in Prison Movie starring the legendary Pam Grier totally entertaining with a great Soundtrack