Paraiso Travel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paraiso Travel Reviews

May 9, 2008
Entertaining, mildly funny but extremely overrated travesty about immigration. It tries to be moving without succeeding, displaying little intellectual or emotional complexity. the subject is trite, hackneyed. The characters are caricatures, the direction is too "clean" not a single speck of the so-called realism that I guess they tried to achive, no surprise the director used to make music videos, because every scene is treated with the same shallowness, falseness of that medium.
mvieaddict
½ March 20, 2010
Paraiso Travel showed the struggles Colombian immigrants have to endure as they want to make a living in the United States. The movie portrayed the true reality that people face when they decide to come illegally, which was far from being paradise. The lead character Marlon was lucky enough to find heartwarming people of his own country who took care of him. These Colombian people are like that, they take care of each other. But that's actually another story. The movie showed that this was the land that turned his girlfriend Reina into someone totally different for him. It was a real enjoyable movie. Great performance also by John Leguizamo.
May 23, 2010
Stylishly filmed, the performances are good, the story is nothing special though. The characters are nicely developed. I didn?t always stay interested, it has some slow stretches, but still it?s a decent film.
March 11, 2008
Paraiso Travel traces the route familiar to many undocumented Latino immigrants on their way to the States; it also retreads the common themes featured in movies about their experiences.
November 5, 2009
July 14, 2008
"Paraiso Travel" shows the harsh struggles Colombian immigrants have to endure as they make their way to the United States. As well as conquering the physical elements some face different problems, as in the case of Marlon. A young Colombian whose love is put to the test when he losses his girlfriend in New York City after a small run in with the police. The movie shows us how a small group of immigrants make their way from Colombia to Texas. The story was interesting and makes you realize the struggles of the immigrant. I wasn't a fan of how director Simon Brand uses flashbacks throughout the movie to show us the whole path the immigrants took as they get closer to their destination. The movie gets it's point across by showing you the mental anguish of Marlon, a small fish in a big lake.
Favorite Scene: Marlon mees Milagros.
½ May 2, 2008
La historia esta bien pero la verdad los personajes me parecieron muy forzados y llevados al extremo. La verdad no disfrute mucho la pelicula, si quieren ver buen cine colombiano vean Satanas, Bluff o Perro come Perro.
August 2, 2013
Great freakin movie.
ElCochran90
June 18, 2013
If the purpose was the immigration issue, Colombia fails once again in raising relevant reflections. If the purpose was to represent the adaptation of the immigrants to a hostile reality, the topic is not treated with the proper seriousness except for the glimpses showing the brutal journey of the immigrants all the way through Mexico; the "personal growth" Marlon claims at the end he had is unbelievable and quite false. If the purpose was to put to the test the love between two horny and irresponsible young Colombians with the immigration issue as a background, trust me, I have soap operas for that, and I don't like them. In fact, too many Mexican faces were seen here, known precisely because of TV soap crap.

Whenever you want to see a film that treats the immigration problem properly (one that mixes another relevant social problem: that of displacement of people to other places because of existing violence), watch the Mexican feature El Norte (1983).

61/100
June 27, 2012
Great Movie. Sad but true story that happens all the time.
February 19, 2013
Muy cercana a la realidad de la vida en NYC y de como se debe dejar ir lo que no conviene.... what a nice movie full of motivation!!!
½ January 1, 2012
For those living in big cities, Paraiso Travel, brings the hard reality of many around us.
January 27, 2012
Really interesting movie. It's about a young Colombian guy who follows his beautiful girlfriend on a perilous journey to enter the United States illegally. When they arrive, they stay in a rundown hostel in Brooklyn, New York. After an argument with her and a run-in with NYPD, Marlon takes off running and gets lost. It isn't 100% clear exactly how long they are away from each other but Marlon, while ceaselessly looking for Reina, begins a new life with a new love interest.

The movie jumps back and forth between scenes of the past and the present. We are shown the rough and deadly trek that immigrants take to get into the United States, and the people along the way who take advantage of them in various ways. But, at least in the beginning, we don't understand why Reina is so hell-bent on going to the U.S. in the first place because both she and Marlon come from a decent home-life, with parents who care about them and nice houses. Reina's reason for leaving is revealed towards the end of the movie in an interesting little twist. But Marlon's reason for tagging along with her can be summed up like this: he *really* wanted to hit that. Reina essentially uses her body and the promise of sex to get Marlon to drop everything for her. Throughout the movie you begin to realize that Marlon is a moron but at least he's a somewhat sympathetic moron.

The plot is very interesting and even believable. I can just picture a person wandering around New York City, alone and scared, unable to speak English, while trying to find one person in a city of millions (needle in a haystack). There's some really good acting here but it doesn't evoke too much emotion --besides "Marlon, you're a freaking idiot" moments. No tear-jerking, heart-string-pulling moments. Lot of boob-age, so beware.They are also really fond of the word "fag" so be warned if you're really sensitive about that word.
December 16, 2011
No es por ser despectivo pero esta bien realizada a comparación de las acostumbradas y hoy en día abundantes películas colombianas, creo que maneja con seriedad la temática de la inmigración ilegal y sus consecuencias. Muy buena historia y bien actuada.
November 7, 2011
:D me encanta esta pelcula...
½ August 6, 2011
Annoying in some moments...
½ May 21, 2011
Great story with an eye opener of reality for some people that make the wrong choices.
February 21, 2011
A fun ride to a cliche finish.Well acted and sexy.
February 1, 2011
Mas q una pelcula parece un documental sobre las consecuencias de cruzar las fronteras ilegalmente.
½ June 25, 2008
Decente pelcula sobre la inmigracin.