Far Cry

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Far Cry Reviews

Phil H

October 2, 2010
The modern day Ed Wood strikes again as Uwe Boll adapts yet another video game for the big screen with his hordes of Nazi gold lol!! this outting isn't too bad to a degree, the location and action isn't too bad and looks fine in a cheap 'Bond' type of way but that's about it. The plot is presumably the same as the game (only played it once) but I doubt it as Boll tends to wander, either way its a 'Universal Soldier' clone but no where near as good, the acting is acceptable, just about, with Udo Kier in his element as a B-movie mad scientist, Chris Coppola as a Dom Deluise/John Candy wannabe sidekick (shameful), Til Schweiger somehow lured into the film and Boll film favourite Michael Paré again.....dunno how Boll does it!

The whole thing is pretty by the books really, there's nothing new or exciting here, its just a simple fast food, drive by flick that was rushed out and has been totally lost in time never to return, but it is better than the rancid 'BloodRayne' flicks.
Aaron N

July 10, 2008
Dr. Krieger: You're just a simple boat man.
Jack Carver: I didn't say anything about being simple.

...

Ok, so this was another "film" from this generation's Ed Wood, Uwe Boll. This time he tackles the video game Far Cry. Nothing but laughs come out of this movie and not from the forced comedy injected into this movie. All of the entertainment came from the baffling choices this film makes, certainly showing that Boll will never grow as a filmmaker.

Based on what I know about the premise, this movie basically ditches everything except the idea of having a retired Special Forces guy shoot things on an island (which isn't tropical like the game, instead its Canada). So Til Schweiger (who was freaking awesome in Inglourious Basterds) is terribly placed here as the hero, Jack. He is a boat driver, who gives a lift to a reporter, played by Emmanuelle Vaugier, who needs to inspect the mysterious goings on of an island. This island is headed by Udo Kier's ridiculous scientist character, who is making super soldiers. Little does he know that blowing up Jack's boat was a big mistake, because now he has Special Forces all up his ass. Shoot, Shoot, Explosion, dialog, exposition, boat chase, comic relief, shoot, shoot, dead, credits.

I was initially intrigues because the two Uwe Boll films I have seen (House of the Dead and Bloodrayne) are at the very (very) least passably laughable, and looking at the trailer, this film looked like it could echo the joy from those. I was not mistaken in that respect, as this film was hilarious to watch with a friend, and using Netflix Watch Instantly certainly helped, however there's no denying that this movie failed on every possibly level.

Performances are terrible, story is ludicrous (even for a video game adaptation), the dialog ranges from lousy to punch that guy in the mouth, the action is poorly handled, etc.

To sum up: Complete crap.

Emilio: I'm just the food guy!
jjnxn
jjnxn

December 15, 2009
Mindless violence with no real point, the lead actress is terrible and Til Schweiger is too good an actor to be wasting his time in tripe like this.
boxman
boxman

April 6, 2009
[font=Arial][color=DarkRed]Say what you will about Uwe Boll as a writer and director; Lord knows I've written nearly a Master's thesis on the notorious schlock filmmaker. However, this man would be an asset to have as a producer, at least initially. The German tax loophole was closed and yet the man still finds a way to make like three to four movies a year. He can pull together resources and organization as well as anybody in the business. So what if the final product happens to be substandard. This man knows how to produce. He's just not as skilled at other positions. [i]Far Cry[/i], Boll's latest video game adaptation, is a clunky action movie that treats genre clichés as virtues. It is not a bad movie but it's not a good bad movie either. It's just Boll's version of disposable action.

Valerie (Emmanuelle Vaugier) is a Vancouver newspaper reporter who has got a great lead on a story. Turns out Dr. Krieger (Udo Kier), your classic mad scientist, is running experiments on a nearby island and he has an armored guard. Our spunky heroine is determined to investigate. Her uncle Max (Ralf Moeller) is actually working for the mad doctor and having misgivings, which is why he tries to send Valerie classified info on the experiments. Dr. Krieger is bankrolled by the (Canadian?) government to develop genetically modified super soldiers. They have a layer of armor under their skin and the only foolproof way to kill the super soldiers is to shoot them in the eye or mouth. My best guess why is because they are both lead to the brain, but then why stop there? Why not shooting into ear and nose cavities? Anyway, the super soldiers won't take orders so the mad doctor and his mercenaries capture Max and turn him into the newest test subject. Valerie has chartered a boat to meet up with her uncle. The boat captain, Jack (Til Schweiger, who sounds like his voice was dubbed by an actor that could not widen is mouth to enunciate), just happens to be an old Special Forces buddy of Max's. This comes in handy when both Jack and Valerie are attacked once they reach the island. The duo must run for their lives and inflict much ass-kicking justice.

[i]Far Cry[/i] is a mediocre cliché-ridden action vehicle. You've got so many formula elements widely circulated in numerous other action flicks, and I'm not even talking about the standards like that the good guys are marksmen, the bad guys are terrible shots, and anyone can move unfazed if they get shot in the shoulder. We also have the fact that all evil hideouts, when not hewn into volcanic rock, must be located in giant warehouses with too many catwalks and chains and extraneous machinery that do little else but spit sparks when called upon. Jack also pulls the timeless tactic of stripping an enemy solider, putting on his uniform, and then infiltrating the enemy camp under a flawless disguise - a change in clothes. Let's not also forget the tried-and-true method of throwing a rock in a different direction to cause a distraction. I think at this point only dogs fall for that. By the thirty-minute point, we've already seen two separate shots of Jack swimming underwater while an explosion rages above the surface. Though the word has likely lost all meaning to Boll, I would describe that as excessive.

Another major cliché of action movies is the forced coupling between Jack and Valerie. It doesn't take long before their bickering leads to smooching, and in an alarmingly relaxes scene. Shortly after just escaping mercenaries and a helicopter explosion in a lake, Jack and Valerie find a shack nearby and tend to their wounds. She changes out of wet clothes and makes sure that he doesn't catch a peek (he does) and he dresses a flesh wound on his rippled abdomen. Eventually she crawls under the blankets on a bed to warm herself for the night. He does too, to stay warm of course. "I have to take off my wet pants, you know," he reasons (oldest trick in the book). But after they're in bed together they have to still talk about how cold they each are still, and then Jack suggests, "shared body heat," you know, just to stay dry. After what seems like forever, these two just give up this charade and start kissing and have them some sex. Naturally, the introduction of an attractive female character in an action movie is designed so that she can snuggle and then be put in danger. Valerie does little else to the story. I want to know why either of these two is acting so casual moments after they escaped fiery death? They know that they're still being hunted, and the shack is within walking distance from the crash site, which is being investigated by the mercenaries. For that matter, why do the bad guys call off each attack to search and confirm for kills? Are they that concerned with paperwork?

The movie feels like every generic moment rises from the shadow of other generic action movies. The final conflict between Jack and Max the Super Solider boils down to an appeal to the man inside the monster, trying to tap the humanity buried beneath the killing machine. You've seen this in countless other movies. Dr. Krieger has a dominatrix-esque second-in-command that has some personality to her; it must be hard to be a female henchwoman, having to be even more evil than the henchmen to prove her self. The initial plot setup even reminds me of Ed Wood's[i] Bride of the Monster[/i] -- girl reporter investigates mad scientist. The whole island-based setting, with the aquatic inclined stunts, led by a Central European action star, buddied up with a yammering idiot as a comic sidekick ? it oddly reminds me of the entirely forgettable 1998 Jean Claude Van-Damme movie, [i]Knock-Off[/i], with also had the misfortune of co-starring Rob Schneider. A knock-off of [i]Knock-Off[/i]? Well it is time for the tenth anniversary after all.

Boll stubbornly tries to make his mundane action movie into a comedy. The comic elements never fully gel with the rest of the film, and yet Boll keeps transforming the movie into this screwy action comedy. There's the bickering between Jack and Valerie, which is expected territory for the genre, but then the movie fills its time with excessive wisecracks, strange digressions, and so much comic relief that it fails to be relief (or comic). Chris Coppola chews as much scenery as possible as Emilio, the irritating, hapless sidekick to Jack. He's introduced at almost the hour mark and seems to be trying to make up for lost time in annoyance. He'll offer to help Jack fight but then recoil and scamper off. This is the kind of movie that has the overweight Coppola lovingly caress a sandwich and coo, "I've been thinking about you all day." Get it? He's fat. Fat people love food. But by far the funniest and weirdest aspect abut Far Cry is how unbelievably prepared Jack is for any situation. He hands Valerie a handcuff key from his pocket, which he always carried with him because, presumably, Jack lands in handcuffs often or cannot be trusted to remember his "safe word." But then late in the movie, Jack is handcuffed and he literally regurgitates ANOTHER handcuff key. This means that Jack keeps a key in his pocket and swallows a spare. Does he eat these daily? What else is hidden among his body? The man could be a human Swiss army knife.

No one ever seems to question what the chances are that a German former Special Forces agent will work at a Canadian lab, within reach of his Canadian niece ace reporter, who will charter a boat from another German former Special Forces agent who also happens to be within reach of this lab. I guess when you've got invincible super soldiers you don't sweat the details.

Despite all its flaws and general laziness,[i] Far Cry[/i] is a semi-decent action movie, especially one with a low budget. Boll manages to construct some passing action sequences with respectable camerawork, and the end battles between our heroes and the Super Soldiers is actually well-edited, with sharp cuts that help ratchet up the energy level, and has plenty of good stunt work. A chase through the nondescript warehouse between Jack and a super soldier actually makes use of some spiffy Parkour choreography, a welcomed addition. The forced comedy can actually succeed at times during the action, like when Valerie is hurling grenades with the pins still attached or when she accidentally lassos a helicopter with a harpoon gun (Dr. Krieger scolds her, "You know, you owe me a helicopter.").

In the pantheon of Boll movies, [i]Far Cry[/i] lands more toward the top. It's a middling action movie that tries too hard to constantly inject misguided humor into every freaking minute. The movie suffers from the same boneheaded flaws that plague the action movie genre, but by the end of its admittedly brief running time, Boll has pulled off a minor success. [i]Far Cry[/i] is not a good movie and has too many derivative and unimaginative elements, but Boll seems to have cranked this one out. While [i]Far Cry [/i]is not a particularly good action movie, it is relatively indecipherable from the thousands of other cheap mediocre action movies that pollute the direct-to-DVD market. He's made an easily digestible product that isn't even bad enough or weird enough to be memorable. To him that's victory, but to me, an avid Boll expert, that's just plain boring.

Nate's Grade: C-[/color][/font]
Gx7
Gx7

February 20, 2008
Dude say what?! all I want to see is Anthony Bourdain and thats all I really want to see, and that just lasts for 2 seconds lol!! :P
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

December 4, 2010
Abysmal, a far cry from what can be called entertainment. This is the first videogame-based movie where I've actually played the game beforehand, and it appears that legendary crapmaster Uwe Boll's game research consisted solely of reading the back of the retail box. I cannot fathom this adaptation would please even one person who played the game, so who exactly was the target audience?? It takes a full yawn-inducing 30 minutes for the film to reach the point where the game actually starts, and from there the only noticeable similarity between the two is Jack Carver's red Hawaiian shirt - which Til Schweiger changes out of 15 minutes later. His awful, thick-German-accented acting must've been the demented decision behind the introduction of the most annoying comic relief character since Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element. The sparse action scenes are dull, there is no chemistry between the leads, and the evil genius is a bore. Long before we reach the hour point, we don't care about any of the characters or anything that happens to them.

It's a late entry, but Far Cry manages to sink to the very bottom as the worst movie I've seen in 2010.
whosinthenews
whosinthenews

November 30, 2009
My theory is that Uwe Boll has some serious dirt on someone in the upper echelons of Hollywood, thus allowing him to continue taking cinematic dumps wherever he pleases.
DrLappos
DrLappos

August 21, 2009
I tell you what.....if ever I was stuck on an island with Vagier and Shwieger in the same position as they found themselves after the boat was blown up I am sure I would stay well clear.....she is quite clearly a sex maniac who will drop her drawers at the drop of a hat...I mean she met him two hours before this and they have since tried to kill her and he, although being hunted by loons with big guns gets his kit off and lights ever lamp in the only hut on the island to tell the baddies where they are.......it tried hard but failed miserably!
ken j

March 14, 2009
Jack Carver is a retired special forces officer who now spends his days as a transport for hire for people and cargo now on one particular trip Jack ferries a photographer named Val who wants to photograph this old Japanese WW2 base on some mysterious island while val is away Jack's boat gets attacked and he just barely survives now he must get on the ialand and find out what happened to Val and what really is going on . Another video game movie from Uwe Boll that does crash and burn pretty bad there are a few ok action beats but overall this isnt a movie to watch and can really be skipped by fans of the video game.
HeroPK
December 8, 2009
I played the game and was willing to give this movie a shot. The video game has a good set up)(tropical paridise with genetically modified super soldiers) I also came in willing to accept some faults that "video game" movies have. 80's movie bad dialouge, bad acting, dumded down story lines. So the question is, IF you can handle all of the above is the movie worth watching? No there is not enough action and the rest is borring.
Directors have to start giving more credit to the video games themselves. I have yet to see a movie based on the video game that sticks to the script of the game. Directors are under ustimating the audience and usally dumb it down.
November 22, 2009
This is based on the video game of the same name. This is a Uwe Boll film. The best compliment I can give it is that it's Boll's best movie, which given the options, is not saying much at all. The acting is still ham fisted and awkward. The music is overbearing. The dialogue is cringe-worthy. Lots of parts of the movie were to dark to really see what was going on, and a helicopter blows up mid flight for no reason, at all. Boll still throws in those random scenes meant to be funny, but his comedic timing is truly god awful (probably his second worst trait). With all that being said, some of the action was not entirely hate-able and there was one legitimately interesting and good shot. So, yes, Boll still sucks, this movie still sucks, but if I was taken hostage and, at gun point, I had to choose one of his movies to watch or I'd be shot, this one would be it; it's simply less terrible.
March 13, 2009
A good example of a scene in a good movie vs this movie is the scene where the women is partly naked and asked the man not to look. Compare this to the similar scene in Slumdog Millionaire.
December 8, 2012
Well, this was crap. I'm on a Uwe Boll movie run, I don't know why, I just thought it would be funny. This is much better than Alone in the Dark movies. It's nothing like the game, again. Where are the monsters? Where are the epic ship battles? It strays off the path too much to be an enjoyable adaptation. Don't see, unless desperate.
May 11, 2014
Another crappy movie from a crappy director who can never seem to make a good movie. I have played the Far Cry games countless times in the past and I have really fond memories playing them and this film is not like the games at all. The whole cast here do terrible and there was a lot of crappy dialogue. Til Schweiger is miscast as Jack Carver because he is a german playing an american character and he was bland and dull throughout. The romance between him and Emmanuelle Vaugier was stupid and cheesy and the comedic tone made the movie even worse for me. The acting was stiff and monotonous throughout. Most of the characters were annoying and you don't care about anybody here at all. It is a good thing this was a straight-to-dvd release and not a theatrical release because if it was, then it would have bombed like all of the other Uwe Boll films. The only thing I will give this is that there was some entertaining action towards the end and that is it. Besides that, this is a movie you should really avoid.
February 6, 2014
A hardened seaman and a dogged reporter become trapped on an island with a mysterious scientist, a ruthless band of mercenaries, and a vicious pack of unidentifiable creatures in BloodRayne director Uwe Boll's seventh video game-to-screen adaptation. A team of mercenaries has been attacked on a remote island in the Pacific Northwest, and as mysterious reports begin to emerge from the chaos, a veteran Seattle newspaper editor sends top reporters Tom Moore and Valerie Constantine to the scene in hopes of getting the scoop on the story. Shortly after arriving on the island under the guidance of ship captain Jack Carver (Til Schweiger), the trio is attacked by mercenary commander Maria Sanchez. Though Tom is killed, Valerie and Jack manage to stage a daring escape and quickly begin to bicker over their plan as Maria's murderous soldiers fast begin gaining ground. Despite Captain Jack's plan to locate his friend Emilio and get off of the island as quickly as possible, reporter Valerie remains determined to investigate the strange situation and get as many details as possible for her upcoming story. Later, when Jack, Valerie, and Emilio are captured and taken to the secret lab of genius scientist Dr. Krieger, Valerie is extended an invitation to join the doctor in announcing his latest findings to the world. Though it finally seems as if Valerie has gotten just the scoop needed to make her story, the situation quickly turns chaotic when one of Dr. Kreiger's creatures escapes from the lab and sets out on a murderous rampage. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi I hated this movie and yes I have played the game and the game is so Uwe boll stop making movies you are not good at it.
January 11, 2014
Uwe Boll makes a film based on a video game, starring Udo Kier as mad scientist. You know what to expect - gory and fun!
September 29, 2013
This film is total garbage as uwe boll continues to ruin my favourite game franchise. Worst film I have ever watched. Damn
June 13, 2013
This movie is so awful I can't stop watching it. Although its take me 3 times to get through it. Its like watching plane crashes on Youtube. I don't know how much money went into the production of the movie but I bet someone lost a lot of money.
jarrad b.
May 19, 2013
Not a bad little action movie, nothing to write home about.
Zim V.
February 7, 2013
I thought it was a really fast action movie, that followed the plot of the game it was based off of really well. Other then some holes within the plot that they didn't go over it was a good movie.